Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough
Default Dal/Mem/NO/Utah

Damp to Mem for L. Wright/#19

Bradley to Utah for one of their 2nd rounders

TAW/DJ/2nd from Utah/3 mil cash to NO for PJ Brown

Would you rather have PJ Brown/L. Wright/#19 or Damp/Bradley/DJ? Assuming those trades could be made.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Dalhoop

Dalhoop has a spectacular aura aboutDalhoop has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Dal/Mem/NO/Utah

TAW works straight up with PJ Brown (with the buy out), I would do that yesterday. With DJ part of the deal, i'm not so sure, trading youth for age does not always workout.

Dampier for Wright and 19th pick, don't think I would do that. Mavs have had centers of "slight build" in the past and it did not work. I'll keep Damps big body.

Bradley for a second round pick. Bradley is worth more then that, just not on this team.
Dalhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
Dalhoop

Forgot to answer the second question. I would rather have Dampier/Swift/DJ, or Maglorie/Swift. PJ is a good player but age is going to catch up sooner rater then later.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Dal/Mem/NO/Utah

1) NO!
2)I'm fine with this but Sloan aint taking Bradley even if he is from Utah. If Bradley goes anywhere (to which I am not opposed) then I expect it will be East.
3)Not sure I'd do this...depends on how much you think Benga has and how much PJ has left. TAW is no issue either way...he is toast soon enough.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

1) Depends on who's available at 19.
2) Depends on who we can get to fill out the rotation at the 5. Even as an emergency player only Shawn's worth more than a second rounder to a contending team like the Mavs.
3) That's way too much to give up for PJ, who's very much on the downside of his career and has a crappy contract. If we can't find anything better to fill out the frontcourt NO can have TAW and that's it.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
1) Depends on who's available at 19.
2) Depends on who we can get to fill out the rotation at the 5. Even as an emergency player only Shawn's worth more than a second rounder to a contending team like the Mavs.
3) That's way too much to give up for PJ, who's very much on the downside of his career and has a crappy contract. If we can't find anything better to fill out the frontcourt NO can have TAW and that's it.
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Would you rather have PJ Brown/L. Wright/#19 or Damp/Bradley/DJ? Assuming those trades could be made.
Damp/Bradley/DJ
Old 06-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

1) I think Damp is better as a true center for this team right now. However, my concern is his production down the line in relation to his contract. Wright's deal is expiring and he puts up decent numbers. GMC is correct, the Mavs would have to have someone targeted at 19.

2) I like Bradley, but if center friendly Avery won't use him in critical playoff games with Damp on the bench then what does that say to other teams around the league? With Utah having multiple picks and being under the cap, I think it might be a good fit.

3)I would like to keep DJ as well. I was just thinking along the lines of what the Mavs gave up for DA. PJ has two years left on his contract. Not a pretty contract by any means, but I would be more comfortable with PJ at two years than with Damp at six.

My wording in this post and my first post could be better. What I want to ask is does everyone feel comfortable with Damp/Bradley in relation to their contracts/production/how they are used or would you make this trade in order to shorten some contracts and provide some short term solutions at center with the hope that one of the young guys or a pick develops in a couple of years?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be looking to upgrade the center position yes. Would I do "these" trades in their entirity -- probably not.

Most of it depends on the direction that they decide with Dirk. Is he going to be Tim Duncan role -- if so, they need one style center. Is he going to be a Chris Webber role-- if so, they need a different style center. Is he going to be an Amare type role -- then they need another style center.

I don't know exactly what direction they are going to go, in respects to how they are going to use Dirk. Without that, I don't know how you decide what kind of center you really need.

If they go to a more running and passing style offense (Detroit like), then I hope they get a more athletic center. If they want to slow it down, then maybe Damp is the best you are going to get (Shaq and Yao unavailable), but Dirk is going to have to become a more inside force like TD.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
Dalhoop

Quote:
My wording in this post and my first post could be better. What I want to ask is does everyone feel comfortable with Damp/Bradley in relation to their contracts/production/how they are used or would you make this trade in order to shorten some contracts and provide some short term solutions at center with the hope that one of the young guys or a pick develops in a couple of years?

That Bradley was not used against one of the strongest most active big man in the league does not surprise me, he was effective against Yao. It is not his fault that he cant guard T-Mac, Carter, or any other poster person, maybe if the person guarding those guys would stop waving at them as they drive to the lane then ......sorry.

The Mavs don't need big numbers from the center position. 10/10/2 at center with a big body is really all we do need, and we have that. The 10+ years of searching for a big body at center is over, we don't need Shaq (indeed, he would take too many shoots from his teammates). Bradley as a backup center is PERFECT. He comes in, alters shots, and doesn't complain about minutes (all this for a low price by today's standards).

Like it or not, the Mavs signed Dampier to a long contract. Right now it looks to be a dangerous contract, but at the time Bradley's new contract looked to be insane 5 years ago. Foyal (spelling?) was signed to a 10 million a year contract last summer, history tells us that salaries go up, not down. Who is to say that 5 years from now Dampier's contract would not be a bargain for a big bodies center? Foyal's contract makes Bradley's 5M a year look like a master stroke.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Foyle is not making that much. He's not even making Dampier money.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #12
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of bringing Foyle in here to backup Dampier. They know each other, they have worked together before, and Foyle brings you a good 5 boards and 2 blocks, solid play, doesn't make mistakes, etc...off of the bench.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #13
Dalhoop

Foyle (thanks for the spelling correction) gets 52M for 6 yrs, Dampier gets 73M for 7 yrs. (average 8.6 to 10.3). Compare that to Bradley's 35M for 7 yrs (average 5M) and you see what a bargain Bradley is, even as a backup. Bradley's contract was supposed to be a killer 5-6 yrs ago, now it looks great. My point is that Dampier's contract may be the same way 4-5 years down the road, a killer now but great looking in a few years.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #14
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Both Foyle and Dampier have team options at the end, so they have 4 and 5 years left respectively.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Damp's last year is non-guaranteed, as I understand it. But with his age/injury history, I expect that'll end up working out as if it were a team option.