Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 05-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Paul Pierce

On the season he avgd 21.6 ppg 6.1 rebounds per game and 4.2 apg. He also shot 50.5 percent from the field in the playoffs. He would be a bona fide star to play next to Dirk. We would be thin at point guard, but we could sign Antonio Daniels with the mle. Trade our most consistent point guard Terry maybe the best value player on the team along with a young player Daniels.

Harris/Daniels
Pierce/Stackhouse
Howard/Finley
Dirk /Van Horn
Dampier/Bradley

Terry
Tony Allen
Ricky Davis
Al Jefferson
Raef La Frentz

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Paul Pierce

That is an interesting proposal. I dont really like Pierce that much and i wonder about bringing in a swing man that needs 35 minutes and 18 shots per game... but that is a tempting deal. I dont think that they would bite on that unless we gave up Harris/Bradley instead of Terry. Another way to get it done would be to substitue Howard/Bradley instead of Daniels.

I just think that it will take a better package to get peirce. Would we be willing to give up a combo of DH/Daniels/Bradley or J-Ho/Terry/Bradley to get a star like Pierce?????
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

In the event that the Mavs feel like they need a bonofide star to play next to Dirk, here is one possibility...

Dallas Trades to Boston:

Jerry Stackhouse
Shawn Bradley
Devin Harris

Dallas gets from Boston:

Paul Pierce
Marcus Banks

Assume for a minute that Pierce needs a change of scenery. Undoubtedly, Ainge will want at least one young potential star. If Avery is telling the truth, he feels like Jason Terry is his guy at the point - leaving little room for the #5 pick.

It works for Dallas because they get their "star". Pierce is a big-time scorer who can also do a good job of handling the ball. That could come in handy as long as Terry is the point. The Mavs also get a true point guard with talent to develop. Besides, Banks doesn't look like he has a place in Beantown.

Boston gets a young point guard with a lot of talent, and in the event that he isnn't quite ready to play, they can always bring GP back for one more year. He seemed to like it there. Stackhouse can do some of the things that Pierce can do without the same sense of entitlement that Paul had there. Meanwhile, Allen and Davis could be getting more minutes. Bradley gives them depth up front.

I suppose the deal could be expanded to include Mark Blount for Tariq - giving Dallas a little more frontcourt help and helping Boston's salary structure out.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If Avery is telling the truth, he feels like Jason Terry is his guy at the point..
I think Johnson gets a chance to re-assess in the off-season.

His IN-season support of Terry as the team was trying to find its footing for a playoff run should not be taken as commmitting him to a player ill-suited to the PG position (JT) in favor of another player who is certain to need some developing (Harris).
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:18 AM   #5
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Paul Pierce

I would trade Jet but not DH. I would only trade DH for a top 10 guy if he came available.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:23 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
If Avery is telling the truth, he feels like Jason Terry is his guy at the point..
I think Johnson gets a chance to re-assess in the off-season.

His IN-season support of Terry as the team was trying to find its footing for a playoff run should not be taken as commmitting him to a player ill-suited to the PG position (JT) in favor of another player who is certain to need some developing (Harris).
I certainly wouldn't begrudge Johnson the chance to re-assess in the off-season. But he said in an off-season radio interview that Terry was the starter and that Harris was the full-time backup, and was a couple years away from filling the lead role. If that isn't what he is completely committed to, then perhaps he should leave himself a bit more wriggle room in the press.

I guess he could always say that Harris progressed faster than expected. But where does that leave him with Terry? He hasn't talked about Terry as the lesser of two evils, from what I have heard. He has talked about him as the main guy, the guy he is comfortable with, the guy they have invested a lot in as the starting point guard.

But then again, there's no guarantee Johnson will be coaching either one of those guys, come next year.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Boston already has a young PG that they like in Delonte West. He was hurt for most of the season, but he and Marcus Banks did a nice job of running the team while Payton was in Atlanta. In fact, were I Danny Ainge, I never would have brought Payton back...he's done and those young guys infused the team with energy. I'm saying this to say that they're not trading Paul Pierce for Terry or Harris. They'd give you Walker if he weren't a FA.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

How about Terry, Stackhouse & Bradley for Pierce & Baker. It works $ wise, and might be enough talent wise to land him. I'd like Pierce, because he'd be the 2 gaurd who could get to the FT line late in games.

Boston
Terry/West
Davis/Allen
Stackhouse/Reed
Walker/Jefferson
LaFrentz/Blount/ Bradley

Dallas
Harris/ Quise
Pierce/Finley
JHO/Quise
Dirk/KVH
Dampier/DJ/PPOD

and we'd really need to sign backup Center (GADZ, or even Dale Davis or Kevin Willis??(on the cheap). And maybe comeup with a backup PG(resign DA or get Stoudamire/BJAX/B.Knight). although I like the ideal of Avery being forced to play Quise, I don't think he's a great option at Backup PG
Old 06-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Baker is a Rocket.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had a better sense of what Pierce would cost, but I honestly don't know what it would take. You'd think if the main salary-matching figures in the deal you offered were something like KVH/Stack for Pierce/LaFrentz you'd at least have Boston's ear - that's solid starter level talent to Boston and a crap load of cap relief as well (almost 60 million to be specific) - but Pierce is still the best player in that deal and I'd expect Boston would want more to make up for that. Just don't know how much, nor what else I'd be willing to give up.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree Grandmaster C.

Pierce is a hard read to guage. On one hand it looks like Boston will throe him under the bus... and the other hand it looks like they throw down the red carpet. As for his game... if there was a way to pair Dirk/Josh Howard/Paul Pierce... you do it. Pierce shoots well when he doesn't have to force shots. The last few years in Boston he's been forcing shots a la Stackhouse and his FG% has been horrible. But he can handle the ball, defend the ball, rebound the ball... and can score.

(Btw, could you throw in Marquis Daniels to Boston? He might be enticing to them instead of Stackhouse or Van Horn.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #12
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

I really like the paul pierce Idea. Paul really doesn't want to be the man. He was glad to have Walker back this year and no one demands the ball like Walker.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #13
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
Baker is a Rocket.

Yeah, but it is listed as Boston still paying him some $.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I wish I had a better sense of what Pierce would cost, but I honestly don't know what it would take. You'd think if the main salary-matching figures in the deal you offered were something like KVH/Stack for Pierce/LaFrentz you'd at least have Boston's ear - that's solid starter level talent to Boston and a crap load of cap relief as well (almost 60 million to be specific) - but Pierce is still the best player in that deal and I'd expect Boston would want more to make up for that. Just don't know how much, nor what else I'd be willing to give up.
I'm sure my math could be wrong, but that looks like about $83 million in total payroll relief for Boston. Given that, I think they would have to take KVH/Stack from me and be happy.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

The Boston Globe is currently speculating that Pierce may demand a trade.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Boston is a lot like us. They have their star in place and they're just waiting for the young guys to mature around him. Al Jefferson is going to be really good and Banks, West and Allen showed promise this year. I think Danny Ainge is a pretty sharp GM and as such he realizes that he isn't going to compete in the improved East with a team built around KVH and Stack.

Trading Pierce and Lafrentz would leave them with a ton of cap room in 2007, but clearing cap room for a FA run usually doesn't work out. The top FA's want max contracts with max raises so they force a sign and trade you you end up going from bad to average.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #17
gnzl312

gnzl312 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
On the season he avgd 21.6 ppg 6.1 rebounds per game and 4.2 apg. He also shot 50.5 percent from the field in the playoffs. He would be a bona fide star to play next to Dirk. We would be thin at point guard, but we could sign Antonio Daniels with the mle. Trade our most consistent point guard Terry maybe the best value player on the team along with a young player Daniels.

Harris/Daniels
Pierce/Stackhouse
Howard/Finley
Dirk /Van Horn
Dampier/Bradley

Terry
Tony Allen
Ricky Davis
Al Jefferson
Raef La Frentz
Interesting i would consider it but paul peirce is streaky player, as far antonio daniels go's, i would never sign him,, talk about a player who jacks up stupid shots
gnzl312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If Devin or Terry had to go in a trade Antonio Daniels would be a great pickup as the second point guard. He'd be a very nice backup to Terry, or could start until Devin's ready to take over. Not a strong defensive player, but he has the size to play the 1 or the 2, and has been very good offensively since he arrived in Seattle, sporting a fantastic a/to ratio in excess of 4:1, attacking the basket regularly and effectively, and scoring the ball with good efficiency as well.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #19
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i'd pull a KVH/stack for pierce/la frentz deal 10 times out of 10.

pierce would be dynamite here, and i think AJ would utilize la frentz a lot better than nellie ever did.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote