Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 04-09-2002, 12:04 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to get some input from the rest of you guys. The operator of a new Wang fan site is interested in setting up a forum for his chinese visitors. We're thinking of relocating his site to the Dallas-Mavs.com server, and possibly adding a chinese-specific forum here for all our non-enlish-speaking visitors. What do you all think? I noticed that the official Memphis Grizz board has a separate spanish-only forum (due to Pau Gasol's European fanbase) which is actually even more popular than the regular english forum.

You can see the site here: http://www.esdallas.org/esd/wang/
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2002, 12:07 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

would be cool ... though likely none of us will get to read it!
How about an Spanish and German Section either?

What language do they use in Canada ... LOL! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 12:07 PM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

another thing ...

you´ll need some Origin Speaking Moderators each ...
Old 04-09-2002, 12:10 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a French forum for all the Abdul-Wahad fans? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well if the forum isn't added here, he'll probably just set up a separate board for it.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:17 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Only if the new Chinese visitors teach us to curse in Mandarin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
JP

JP is on a distinguished road

I'm the guy DJbacklash is referring to that has the Wang site, and just for clarification... it would not be in Chinese. I discovered there are several Wang fans who are 2nd and 3rd generation Chinese in America who no longer speak Chinese.

But it may create an unnecessary segregation of fans which I think is a point to consider. Another possibility is to make it a broader category, like "Foreign Players: Trades, Drafts, and Current Players" or something like that.

At any rate, I see several Chinese and Chinese Americans on the Mavs home page message board, but they don't commonly post unless the subject is Wang. That's why I think this idea may be worth considering down the road. It's possible there are many people out there wanting to post, but the subject line is never one that interests them. A foreign Players message board may draw them in and provide some new clients.

It's worth considering, and I appreciate all of you batting this about.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 01:05 PM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Went to your site after I posted. Nice site. My thoughts are the more the merrier. I would love to have a few Chinese Nationals, and Chinese AMericans on this board. I assume many of them have followed Yao Ming's career more closely than myself. I would like to get their perspective on his talent.

Old 04-09-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

Because of geographical, language and other factors, basketball-wise, people on one side of the Pacific Ocean don't know much about the other side. To get more info about Yao or Wang while he was in China, you have to ask fans who live in China, not fans in USA. Chinese who have lived in USA for a while know little about Yao but a lot about Wang and Bateer's NBA life.

The Chinese-specific forum is a cool idea. Both sides of the ocean can exchange ideas. Wang, Yao and Bateer can succeed or not and to what degree in NBA is a very interesting story being developed, to Asian fans and fans in general.
As for language used in that board, fans from China and other places will most likely ask the facility to post messages in Chinese ( mostly in GB encoding format, which is the format used in mainland China), while Chinese in USA can post in both Chinese and English.
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Nice site, JP. Let me know if you ever need to translate some Chinese materials.

As for adding something to this site, I wonder whether the current format is not already quite sufficient to accomodate the fans of the Mavs' numerous international players....
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:31 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if the new Chinese visitors teach us to curse in Mandarin
expanding the vocabularu huh?

I think I would prefer a new forum section instead of a new site altogether, that way we could read what's happening. I also think it would be cool to get a new perspective that this type of forum would undoubtedly bring. Good luck.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #11
Big BasketBall

Big BasketBall is on a distinguished road

I think it will be ok if we have one or two threads related with wang, just in this board.

It doesn't bother USA fans if the title is clearly on Wang for Our Chinese love to brag him as a star....
In the posts, we can write in both english and chinese. I prefer Chinese and chinese curse.
Some American fans may interest in these posts too. All is welcome to find infomation or stupid jokes here.
It is an easy way to make our noise to be heard.

And in this way,
When Wang is traded out, there's no much leftover to erase.

Lesson no. 1 :
Chinese curse : TMD (read as TaMaD) = damn

Old 04-10-2002, 12:08 AM   #12
grbh
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard Big Basketball.

I think most of us here would like to hear the Chinese perspective on Wang, Bateer, and Ming. Particularly Ming because he is very highly touted in the upcoming draft, but very few on this board have seen him play more than about once or twice.

By the way Wang played a pretty TMD good game tonight. Man he can shoot. The guy has made big strides forward this year.

Old 04-10-2002, 03:25 AM   #13
barefootwall

barefootwall is on a distinguished road

Chinese Slang:
NBA (pronounced as New-Bee-Ah) means Super!
barefootwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 02:34 PM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< Lesson no. 1 :
Chinese curse : TMD (read as TaMaD) = damn
>>

actually its TaMaDa.

meaning damn it.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 06:23 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< I think I would prefer a new forum section instead of a new site altogether >>

We could bounce the &quot;Articles&quot; section. It's not really being used. But I would open it up to ALL fans of foreign players - German, Chinese, or anyone else.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 08:02 AM   #16
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

testing...

´&oacute;&Ucirc;¤¼&Oacute;&Oacute;&Iacute;

hmm. posting in Chinese doesn't seem to work.

DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:54 AM   #17
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Although I admire the sentiment, I think it would be a waste of resources do to the limited number of visitors that could utilize a chinese forum. And adding other language specific forums would only add to the problem. I and most current visitors would get no value from such a forum. That being said, it ain't my bandwidth and it ain't my server.

Besides, I like the articles. I want to write one but I haven't had time.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 02:53 PM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

What' the status on this idea? It seemed like it would be a neat idea.

As fare as i know this isn't actually cursing... how do you spell:
&quot;boo-how&quot;
tell me if it really means anything [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2002, 02:55 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

It means &quot;no good.&quot;
Old 05-20-2002, 03:34 PM   #20
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

lesson #2.

if you want to tell a girl she is pretty in chinese tell her

le ho liang.
(lay hoe lang)
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote