Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you and why or why not?

Suppose that Houston really is wanting to trade TMac extremely badly.

Would you do this for this year?

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.

This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #5308793

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -13.6 ppg, -4.1 rpg, and -1.0 apg.
Incoming Players
Tracy McGrady
6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
No games yet played in 2009-2010
Outgoing Players
Shawne Williams
6-9 PF from Memphis
Matt Carroll
6-6 SG from Notre Dame
0.9 ppg, 0.4 rpg, 0.3 apg in 4.4 minutes
Josh Howard
6-7 SF from Wake Forest
12.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 22.4 minutes

Houston Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +13.6 ppg, +4.1 rpg, and +1.0 apg.
Incoming Players
Shawne Williams
6-9 PF from Memphis
Matt Carroll
6-6 SG from Notre Dame
0.9 ppg, 0.4 rpg, 0.3 apg in 4.4 minutes
Josh Howard
6-7 SF from Wake Forest
12.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 22.4 minutes
Outgoing Players
Tracy McGrady
6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)

----------------------------------
I know it probably wouldn't happen due to in the same division, etc.

If you were Mark Cuban and asked to do this one though, would you?

----------------------------------

Personally, I would. TMac is an expiring, so you are only trying it for this year.(at least at max price)... TMac basically would replace JHo, but TMac is more of a SG than JHo. IF it works, then you are definitely in the talent range of any of the BIGS.

Kidd, TMac, Marion, Dirk, Damp/Gooden could score with anyone in the league including Boston and Cleveland. IMO, Dallas' biggest competition this year is LA Lakers, Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, San Antonio -- with Denver and Atlanta being the wildcards.

TMac is only 4 months older than JHo. Injuries have set in for both.

I'd admit it being a gamble, but one with championship as the payoff if it worked.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 12-04-2009 at 09:20 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't even consider it. Josh is an expiring and could net you way more than TMac if the team chose to trade him. Microfracture surgery is significantly more serious than ankle surgery, despite Josh's weird rehab timetable.

For all we know TMac's career could be over. Microfracture surgery is no joke.

Edit to add: Also, injuries aside, the Rockets seem to just not want McGrady around. He's beens saying for weeks that he's ready to play, and the team has essentially said "Uh..we're good, you hang tight". That should be a huge read flag for anyone.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-04-2009 at 09:49 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

No way in hell.

There are way better options with Josh. Bosh with a new contract, Butler...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Maverick4124

Maverick4124 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, don't really like it. Way too big of a gamble. No one really knows how TMac will play anymore. Some players have come back from microfracture and succeeded, Amare, Kidd (I think). However, Bosh Bosh Bosh. Raptors keep sucking. Dallas needs to make a move for him because I have this crazy feeling that he'll be teaming up with Wade next season in Miami.

Also, any thoughts on Brand? Sixers are looking to move him. I like him personally and think he's got game left in him. He's just not in the right system. Dallas is not really a 100% halfcourt team, which Brand thrives on.
Maverick4124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 12-04-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

YES....Its gets rid of Carrols contract...gets rid of Williams.....gets rid of all the time injured Josh.

McGrady comes in and can be anywhere from 2-4th option. He will want to prove that he can still do it. He was never a selfish player IMO.

Healthy McGrady>>>> healthy Josh

Injured McGrady>>>>> Injured Josh

No way we lose there IMO
Old 12-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

But I agree that we should look at some other option first...like maybe RIP or Butler
Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

We need to have a consistent low post presence.. Let's trade for CBosh now..
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Yes, I would take a shot. It's a risk because of McGrady's knee, and I worry about his defensive potential, but Dallas would almost impossible to guard, and a rotation of Marion/Ross/McGrady/Terry at the two/three would provide all kinds of options.

You could also play a small ball line up of Kidd/Terry/McGrady/Marion/Dirk that would be a heckuva lot better than the current three guard line up.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Think of the MVP candidate McGrady was only a few years ago makes me very interested in this.. but it is what have you done for me lately in this league. One thing to ponder about though is Tracy's huge expiring contract. If we do make that trade then we essentially have two massive expirings for 2010, am I correct? Damp and McGrady. Traded to a team at the right time creates a ton of cap room for the other team to pick up two big time free agents. Could the combo of McGrady/Damp be more valuable on the market than Howard/Damp... possibly if there are two available free agents both better options than Howard. But, I digress... there are a ton of "what ifs" in this, might be too much risk.

Last edited by Robillion; 12-05-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

T-Mac is washed up. Injuries have caught up with him. Howard at least gives you fifty or sixty games a season. Its doubtful that Mcgrady even gives you that.

If I could get 2003 T-Mac I would do it, but not now not now and not for Josh.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC View Post
T-Mac is washed up. Injuries have caught up with him. Howard at least gives you fifty or sixty games a season. Its doubtful that Mcgrady even gives you that.

If I could get 2003 T-Mac I would do it, but not now not now and not for Josh.
Maybe, but there is only 4 months difference in their ages.

Maybe TMac's injuries are worse, but both seem to be bitten, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Last edited by dalmations202; 12-08-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Maybe, but there is only 4 months difference in their ages.

Maybe TMac's injuries are worse, but both seem to be bitten, IMO.
They're roughly the same age, but McGrady has still played almost twice as many games due to coming straight to the NBA from high school. These days comparing games played is probably more accurate than age if you're trying to determine which player has more miles left on their body.

Not to mention that McGrady just underwent one of the more invasive surgeries that basketball players can have. Let's see where Josh is in February before we write him off as injury prone. He's still dealing with the effects one a single injury, not several different chronic injuries.

Edit to add: Also they're a full year apart in their ages, not four months.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-08-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
They're roughly the same age, but McGrady has still played almost twice as many games due to coming straight to the NBA from high school. These days comparing games played is probably more accurate than age if you're trying to determine which player has more miles left on their body.

Not to mention that McGrady just underwent one of the more invasive surgeries that basketball players can have. Let's see where Josh is in February before we write him off as injury prone. He's still dealing with the effects one a single injury, not several different chronic injuries.

Edit to add: Also they're a full year apart in their ages, not four months.
Taken from Realgm

#3. Tracy McGrady
Height: 6' 8"
Weight: 210 lbs.
Position: Shooting Guard / Small Forward
College: Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
Born: 5th December, 1979

#5. Josh Howard
Height: 6' 7"
Weight: 210 lbs.
Position: Small Forward
College: Wake Forest
Born: 4th April, 1980

From the 5th of December of 79 till the 4 of April of 80 is only 4 months --- if I haven't gotten too old yet to add or subtract. Is it the new math? Maybe Realgm has the dates wrong or something.

Yes, I understand about the games, but on the same note -- most of these guys play year round regardless. They are on the court all the time -- they have to be to get as good as they are. I don't know that there is any more wear and tear with good trainers, diets, etc as there is on college guys who try to do basically the same thing with less at stake and lots less resources.

Maybe TMac is done -- maybe not. Maybe JHo comes back and realizes his potential - maybe not. IMO -- TMac at his best is better than JHo at his best. Will either see their best again ----- that is the gamble.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Put me in the I want TMAC camp...If he somehow can play, I would be willing to let him sit 60 games and bring him for the last 20 and the Playoffs...Huge Expiring if it doesn't work out.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
From the 5th of December of 79 till the 4 of April of 80 is only 4 months --- if I haven't gotten too old yet to add or subtract. Is it the new math? Maybe Realgm has the dates wrong or something.

Yes, I understand about the games, but on the same note -- most of these guys play year round regardless. They are on the court all the time -- they have to be to get as good as they are. I don't know that there is any more wear and tear with good trainers, diets, etc as there is on college guys who try to do basically the same thing with less at stake and lots less resources.

Maybe TMac is done -- maybe not. Maybe JHo comes back and realizes his potential - maybe not. IMO -- TMac at his best is better than JHo at his best. Will either see their best again ----- that is the gamble.

RealGM has McGrady's birthday wrong. It's May 24th '79.

NBA games are very different from any pickup games people play year-round. Garnett is only 33 but his knees are shot and he's playing like a 36 year old, if not older. The wear and tear of NBA games take a toll on players.

I don't think it's a gamble at all that Josh regains his best. I think it's an absolute certainty.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
RealGM has McGrady's birthday wrong. It's May 24th '79.

NBA games are very different from any pickup games people play year-round. Garnett is only 33 but his knees are shot and he's playing like a 36 year old, if not older. The wear and tear of NBA games take a toll on players.

I don't think it's a gamble at all that Josh regains his best. I think it's an absolute certainty.
I understand where you are coming from.

I am just not sure I agree. Of course this where the questions come from, and gambles are/not taken.

**** Thanks for the info on TMac b-day. I'll admit that I was going strictly off RealGM.