Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-09-2002, 07:08 PM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/3616496.htm

Now that the New York Knicks have Antonio McDyess, rumors about Nick Van Exel arriving in town are heating up. Since everyone knows how close McDyess and Van Exel are, it comes as no surprise. What's intriguing are questions about how the Knicks are going to lure Van Exel away from the Mavs. Van Exel, who arrived in Dallas in a midseason blockbuster trade from Denver, still is scheduled to earn $23 million over the next two seasons before the option year on his deal appears before the 2004-05 season. Unless the Knicks are willing to unload Latrell Sprewell for Van Exel, their only chance of grabbing the sharpshooting point guard would be to persuade Mark Cuban to take some combination of Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward, Shandon Anderson, or Clarence Weatherspoon
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2002, 07:49 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Actually - if you take a close look at the Knicks roster, moving Sprewell for Van Excel might be the most useful thing they can do ... they have plenty of SF, but not enough big guys to send Thomas packing ...
Old 07-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure I want Sprewell in Dallas. He could be very disruptive.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:13 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I think Spree would be fine in Dallas. He is a Nellie guy, and I would not forsee any problems.

That said I don't know if I think he is the answer at the 3 for the Mavs either. He can play SF, but he is small.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:16 PM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Actually:
Raef, Dirk, Sprewell, Fin, Nash

sounds better than most of the proposals I´ve heard so far ...

Not that I would do this deal, but that´s actually a "bye-byeLayden" deal

Dallas trades: PG Nick Van Exel (18.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.6 apg in 34.7 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (4.1 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 14.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Latrell Sprewell (19.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.9 apg in 41.1 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (7.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 20.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, +1.4 rpg, and -2.6 apg.

New York trades: SF Latrell Sprewell (19.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.9 apg in 41.1 minutes)
PF Othella Harrington (7.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 20.3 minutes)
New York receives: PG Nick Van Exel (18.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.6 apg in 72 games)
C Shawn Bradley (4.1 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 53 games)
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, -1.4 rpg, and +2.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
Old 07-09-2002, 08:19 PM   #6
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

I do this move! Move SB and pick up a 3 along with a bangin PF in Othella.

BLG
Old 07-09-2002, 08:24 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

I must admit, I would do that deal also.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:27 PM   #8
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Now that move I do SJ.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:30 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

That looks to be a much more favorable deal for the Mavs
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:31 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Sprewell has always been a Nellie favorite.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

If you take a look at the Knicks roster before the trade and after the trade the "after trade" roster looks far more balanced and stronger too me (I left behind all those guys of minor roles):

Travis Knight, Felton Spencer
Antonio McDyess, Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington
Latrell Sprewell, Clarence Weatherspoon, Shandon Anderson
Allan Houston, Lavor Postell, Larry Robinson
Charlie Ward, Howard Eisley

before ...

after:

Bradley, Knight, Spencer
McDice, Thomas
Weatherspoon, Anderson
Houston, Postell, Robinson
Van Exel, Ward / Eisley

k, you still have to move either Ward or Eisley, maybe the Mavs have to throw in something (Wang for Ward in the upper deal?) aswell, but actually I do consider the later roster as beeing not as crowded as the first ...
Old 07-09-2002, 09:07 PM   #12
Lvubun1

I don't know about Spree, last year he avg. 18 shots only shooting .404, he is NVE without being able to give Nash a rest. Plus i'm not sure how good a defender he is.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:10 PM   #13
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I don't have a problem bringing Spree into Dallas. He's a genuine NBA starter small forward, and he isn't afraid to play at least a little defense. But I also don't consider him much of an upgrade over NVE whom we would still have to replace separately. Now, if we swing a deal withe Sprewell-NVE as the centerpiece and some interesting pieces (like the Bradley for Harrington) are thrown in, I would be interested.

But I don't want any part of New York's point guards.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:14 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

God, no. Not Sprewell.

Sprewell is a symbol of what's wrong with the NBA. He's a curse. A cancer. A coach killer. A chemistry wrecker. Mavericks will go straight downhill.

I'd rather have NVE.

Nah, I don't see this happening. But I'd be fresh off Dallas if they took that thug in.

He is NOT a small forward. He's a 2 playing out of position--which is a huge part of the NYK's problem.

He is undersized, skills on the decline, losing a step and just not able to contribute at star-level anymore.

No, no, no.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:58 PM   #15
Lvubun1

So Mavkiki are you really sure you don't want Spree? Can't really tell.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #16
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< Actually:
Raef, Dirk, Sprewell, Fin, Nash
>>

On first look, I liked the lineup. but then, what about the inside banger everyone's been talking about?

NVE for Spree. Seems we'll be exchanging an awesome Nash backup for an awesome Fin backup and getting nowhere closer to a better starting lineup?
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:28 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

BUT WE'D BE GETTING RID OF BRADLEY!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:34 PM   #18
DTL
Diamond Member

and replace him with the much more effective Harrington? i don't know....

but getting rid of Bradley...that would be difficult to turn down.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:36 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Harrington is an improvement over Bradley.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #20
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Othella IS a banger. I like that trade.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #21
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I like the Spree trade... it would work great, and means that Dirk can play power forward, where he is best at defence. Sprewell would not be a disruption in Dallas. He is now older and much more mature since choking PJ. He is an excellent defender and a real competitor. Last year, in some games, our team seemed a bit lethargic, which is what Spree would help change. However, Spree is a fan favourite in NY, so I don't know if they would do the proposed trade. We might also have to throw in 2 or 3 of the following- Buckner (sign and trade), a 1st round pick and cash. We might have to take Charlie Ward, but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. Don't be wroried about Spree's low percentage last year- it was an awful year for pretty much everyone on the team and Mark Jackson's playmaking days are pretty much over. If he was playing with Dirk, Fin and Nash, he would certainly get more open looks. His scoring might dip to 15 ppg, but he would be scoring more efficiently.

Go for it!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:42 PM   #22
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

This might be a good opp to look for a third team that might need Spree more than us, but is will to get rid of something we like better, maybe throw in Thomas, some benchers, and a few draft picks?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:45 PM   #23
scooterj5
Golden Member

How is Spree a chemistry killer? The year he was brought to NY, the Knicks made it to the final on Spree and Camby's awesome play. I think he's changed....
Old 07-09-2002, 11:49 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

The only way I do the deal and im in favor of keeping Nick but Spree is oen of my favs in the NBA so I would be willing to trade Nick for him and Othela. I do agree Spree isnt much of an upgrade over Nick but if we can get rid of a non active Bradely and a great player in Nick for a great player in Othella and Spree thas like a 2 for 1 deal and we dont get any of Knicks pgs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:50 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Spree DID have an attitude problem at the end of last year a couple of times. But I think it had more to do with losing all the time than anything else.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:59 PM   #26
scooterj5
Golden Member

I think he gets frustrated with losing (GOLDEN STATE!!!) which means that:

1. he gets overly angry when he loses
2. he does so because he plays hard and really wants to win

This is why is I think he would be good for Dallas- we are a WINNING team.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:03 AM   #27
MFFL
Guru

I agree - plus he's a Nellie favorite. When's the last time Nellie has loved a player who was a bad attitude?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:10 AM   #28
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take Spree for NVE... the problem is that you've then got to invest your midlevel exception on a backup PG... and you can't get much of a free agent big man. Then again, Donnie has said more than once, &quot;maybe Evan Eschmeyer is the guy we need.&quot; I think it's not wholly impossible that Esch can come in and do 15 minutes of enforcing.

But... I don't know. However, Spree for NVE, plus a free agent backup PG to spell Nash (and keep us from having to rely on AJ) is a better team than what we've got now, even if only marginally.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 06:27 AM   #29
MFFL
Guru

We've already got Avery Johnson on our roster as a backup point. I'm sure we'd be able to find another with the vet mininum.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:33 AM   #30
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

IF the Knicks would take Bradley for Harrington I´d do this trade, cause Harrington would be an upgrade for sure. I doubt the Knicks would do this though. NVE for Spree straight up is basicly a wash and doesn´t make much sense IMO. And like Rhylan allready said, we´d have to use the exeption to bring in a backup pg, which wouldn´t be a good thing. The problem is that the Knicks don´t have one guy at pg that I´d like to see as a backup for Nash.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:19 AM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Don't forget TAW.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:34 AM   #32
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< We've already got Avery Johnson on our roster as a backup point. I'm sure we'd be able to find another with the vet mininum. >>

I agree. A starting small forward is harder to get than a backup point. Avery Johnson can still play and doesn't have a long injury history that I know of. Avery fills the need, fine. We don't need a starter as a backup.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:43 AM   #33
Stressboy91

Stressboy91 is on a distinguished road

I do the deal, but we get Frank Williams, Othella and Spree. They can get their PG of the future later, we would need help now.
Stressboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:21 AM   #34
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

On first look, I liked the lineup. but then, what about the inside banger everyone's been talking about?

I agree 100% here. While Spree plays more defense than anyone we currently have, he's still NOT improving this team. I agree with someone who said he's just a bigger Van Exel. I'm not concerned about him being a cancer because I think with the team we have, there's not much concern of that happening.

However we STILL don't get the banger and Harrington is NO BANGER.. Now Harrington coming off the bench is not a problem because that's about all he's good for is coming off the bench. So if the Mavs couldn't get Thomas (and I still don't think he's the answer but it's the more than anything we have)..
Old 07-10-2002, 09:24 AM   #35
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I lived in Houston when O-Harrington was there; Harrington can bang more than anybody we have now. He wouldn't be brought in here to start anyway. I don't think any banger would be brought in here to start.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:01 AM   #36
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I don't think any banger would be brought in here to start. >>

A point I've been trying to make from the start--No 'banger' we have any real possibility of bringing in is going to replace Raef or Dirk in their starting spots. Pinning all hope of improvement on a guy who's going to play 15 minutes is not going to go very far.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 10:13 AM   #37
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< Pinning all hope of improvement on a guy who's going to play 15 minutes is not going to go very far. >>

and the band said...

... AMEN.

This is what I've been trying to say over and over again. There is not a single available big man that is going to get significant time on this team. There are some SF's though.

But, I still think we could use a 15 minute banger, whoever it is.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 10:17 AM   #38
Dooby
Diamond Member

And O-Harrington might be that guy, IMO.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:31 AM   #39
DTL
Diamond Member

one question: can Spree be effective as the 3rd or even 4th option on the court?

Old 07-10-2002, 10:41 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yes
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote