Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-14-2001, 11:10 PM   #41
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

dj you pervert! ...you've got my email address right?
Old 06-14-2001, 11:14 PM   #42
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Will your mavsfanfinley.com account handle attachments? If so, I'll send it over [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 02:28 PM   #43
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I keep hearing how much Tomb Raider sucks..oh well I'll still see it anyways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Has anyone here gotten the chance to see it yet??
Old 06-15-2001, 03:49 PM   #44
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I don't have a mavsfanfinley one. Did you see my new one?
Old 06-15-2001, 03:50 PM   #45
djb
Administrator

Oh ok. I'll send it over to the one listed in your profile. The file's about 2 megs.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #46
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Thanks
Old 06-20-2001, 10:51 PM   #47
djb
Administrator

Just got back from watching Tomb Raider. I thought it was a pretty entertaining flick but the end was a bit confusing. The action was cool and Jolie was hot, so I guess I can't really complain!
Old 06-22-2001, 11:42 AM   #48
djb
Administrator

I plan on watching The Fast and the Furious tonight. I know the movie looks cheesy but I want to see it anyway! I told all my friends it would be funny if we saw it tonight (opening night) at the AMC Grand, cuz you just KNOW all the ricers (hispanic and azn alike) will be revving up and sporting their lowered Hondas outside! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I can't stand riced-up cars so I laugh at every one I see on the road. I swear some azn gangster is going to kick my ass one of these days (especially when I move to Cali..since that place is the haven for rice junkies) but I just can't help it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2001, 11:15 AM   #49
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i saw the long preview for planet of the apes last night, and i was curious as to who was playing the apes (cause you can't really tell). so i looked it up today. well, the big ape is michael clarke duncan (green mile, armageddon), the main girl ape is helena bonham cater (!) and the main bad guy (the small ape) is tim roth! crazy! talk about some major makeup chair time!

just thought i'd share.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:43 AM   #50
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Has anyone seen the movie "Blow"???
Old 06-26-2001, 11:56 AM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, blow..a good movie
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 05:32 PM   #52
djb
Administrator

Anyone know what Pootie Tang's about?
Old 06-28-2001, 04:51 PM   #53
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Pootie Tang (2001)
Movie Information

Genre
Comedies, Theatrical Release

MPAA Rating
PG-13 - for sex-related material, language and drug content

Theatrical Release
Jun 29, 2001 from rottentomatoes.com

Release Company
Paramount Pictures

SYNOPSIS

Pootie Tang is one cat who’s definitely too cool for words!

Adapted from a comedy sketch on HBO’s “The Chris Rock Show,” Pootie Tang is the ultimate super hero. A cool-walking, smooth-talking ladies’ man, Pootie is a hero and role model to all children. Everybody looks up to Pootie – except the evil Dick Lecter, CEO of LecterCorp, the company that makes cigarettes, alcohol and fast food. Can Pootie’s cool determination and strength prevail over Dick Lecter and his crew?

Paramount Pictures presents in association with MTV Films and Chris Rock Productions an Alphaville/3 Arts Production in association with HBO Downtown Productions, “Pootie Tang” starring Lance Crouther, Jennifer Coolidge, Wanda Sykes with Robert Vaughn and Chris Rock. The writer/director is Louis C.K. with producers Cotty Chubb, Chris Rock, David Gale and Ali LeRoi. Van Toffler, Sean Daniel, Michael Rotenberg and Dave Becky are executive producers. The cast also includes J.B. Smoove, Reg E. Cathey, Dave Attell, Andy Richter, and David Cross. The MPAA has rated this film PG-13 for sex-related material, language and drug content.

Paramount Pictures is part of the entertainment operations of Viacom Inc., one of the world’s largest entertainment and media companies, and a leader in the production, promotion, and distribution of entertainment, news, sports, and music. -- © 2001 Paramount Pictures

OTHER INFO:
Women adore him. Children idolize him. Everyone wants a piece of him. Pootie Tang (Lance Crouther) is an international crime-fighting-singing star, yet he’s often misunderstood. You see, Pootie doesn’t speak English, Spanish, German, or any recognized language for that matter. He speaks a language all his own. Call it Pootie-Speak (or Pootie-nese if you will). Now if you don’t understand him, then you’re in trouble ‘cause he is hot! He’s got Elvis’ charisma, Liberace’s wardrobe and James Brown’s vocabulary.

Moreover, Pootie dispatches criminals with the stinging power of his belt, which he wields like a Kung Fu master. No one is a match for Pootie. As the man, himself, puts it, “I’m gonna sine your pitty on the runny kine. Sipi-tai!” Come again!

Women are inextricably drawn to Pootie; none can thaw his icy-cool demeanor. Even his best lady friend, Biggie Shorty (Wanda Sykes,) has made it her life’s mission to sleep with him. To which Pootie scoffs, “Sepatown!”

Unfortunately, not everyone loves Pootie. The filth-covered drug lord Dirty Dee (Reg E. Cathey) despises him, especially since Pootie put him behind bars (where he’s forced to bathe). Dirty Dee is not alone. LecterCorp also wants to rid the world of Pootie and his do-gooder ways. Controlled by the deranged CEO Dick Lecter (Robert Vaughn), LecterCorp manufactures everything from cigarettes to switchblades to Lecter burgers. Pootie, however, preaches against these very evils in his ubiquitous Public Service Announcements, which warn children “not to smoke, don’t drink malt liquor” and “fast food burgers may taste good, but they’re bad for you.” Pootie’s popular PSAs have cut into LecterCorp’s profits. Incensed, Lecter offers Pootie twenty million dollars to endorse his products. (Pootie’s not for sale).

Undaunted, Lecter enlists the help of his girlfriend Ireenie (Jennifer Coolidge) to seduce Pootie. After a night with his trusted colleague Trucky (J.B. Smoove,) Ireenie discovers Pootie’s weakness and sets a trap for him. Normally immune to the opposite sex, Pootie falls for Ireenie like a ton of bricks. Using her feminine wiles and some funky smelling candles, Ireenie renders Pootie helpless. Under her spell, he signs a contract giving LecterCorp exclusive rights to use his image on all of its products. Worse, she takes his magical belt. Robbed of his dignity and altruistic image, Pootie flees the city for a self-imposed exile in the countryside.

Will Pootie triumph over the forces of evil? Will he ever recapture his belt? Only Pootie knows!

From the comedy laboratory of HBO’s Emmy Award winning “The Chris Rock Show” a unique new hero is born. The brainchild of staff writer Louis C.K., Pootie’s first appearance was preceded by the usual staff discussions.

“Louis comes into my office with a script and asks, ‘Can you play this guy?’ because that’s how we do it on the show,” says Lance Crouther, who plays Pootie. “We walk into each other’s offices and say, ‘Can you play that?’ He just came up with this bizarre, strange character. Louis is really good at creating great characters – I just read what the character is.”

“Pootie has invented a language and everybody seems to understand,” explains Louis C.K. of Pootie’s lingo. “That’s the source of it. That’s how the character came into existence.”

Costume designer Amanda Sanders created the bizarre look and dress for the character, facilitating writer/comedian Lance Crouther’s complete transformation into the new superstar. “I’m a T-shirt and jeans guy and they wanted me to expose my body,” Crouther says modestly. “I’m like, aw geez, I never get naked in front of my wife!”

Co-star/producer Chris Rock sees it in a slightly different, but complimentary way. “Lance has always looked strange. Not weird in a bad way… you just don’t see people like Lance. That’s how Pootie Tang’s supposed to look… like Lance. There’s no crazy makeup. We don’t do anything to his hair. We just put some shades and weird clothes on him.”

When Louis C.K. and Lance Crouther first took the character to Chris Rock, they received a firm go-ahead. “He loves off-the-wall, left field stuff,” says C.K. “He does his own brand of straightforward, insightful material, so he really appreciates other kinds of comedy.”

“It’s all Louis’ idea,” says Rock proudly of his show’s writer. “I’m reading it and I’m like, ‘Boy, this is weird. We gave it a shot and it took off from there.”

Crouther explains the initial trepidation following Pootie’s debut this way: “I think people were really concerned it wouldn’t work. We figured we’d do it once and that would be the end of it, which would keep to the show’s policy of never repeating a sketch character.

“Chris and I started a conversation (on the show) and little by little you realize I’m not speaking in a normal way. But Chris never comments on that. And the audience just loved that. I mean, they just got the joke,” recalls Crouther.

“Everybody on the show – and I mean everybody: the executives at HBO – they’re baffled,” continues Crouther. “They don’t know what this thing is. They don’t understand. ‘Well, what is he saying? What’s the language?’”

Who could have envisioned the genesis of a future motion picture?

But after one appearance Rock knew they had something. “People started e-mailing and talking about it on the radio,” he says. “We were driving to some concert and suddenly we hear on the radio ‘Now, shout out to Pootie Tang.’”

Says David Gale, producer and senior vice president of MTV Films, “We at MTV Films are always looking to break the mold and surprise people with irreverent and unique movies. When Chris brought us the project, we knew right away that it was unlike anything Hollywood ever put out before. It is great fun and totally original.”

Soon Pootie became a staple of the show in star-driven appearances: a singer promoting a video, an author hawking a book, a candidate running for Congress.

Pootie’s momentum peaked in a hilarious spoof of the E! True Hollywood Story. The sketch depicted Pootie as a classic man-overcoming-his-own-vices to become a star, with cameos from Academy Award® winner Gwyneth Paltrow and Suzanne Somers as women falling prey to his charms.

“By the time we did the E! True Hollywood Story, HBO was demanding we put on Pootie Tang,” says C.K. “Okay, if we’re going to do that, it might as well be a big production.”

Thus, the stage was set for something bigger in the life of Pootie Tang, and the gang at “The Chris Rock Show” was elated. “When I heard Pootie Tang was available, I said to Louis, ‘Pootie’s available,’” says Rock, tongue-in-cheek. “So Louis wrote the script. We brought it to Pootie and he liked it. Once the studio learned Pootie wanted to do a movie, they were just too happy.”

A feature motion picture became a perfect platform for the nest of talent at the acclaimed “The Chris Rock Show,” whose members have known each other since their early days in sketch comedy and stand-up. Lance Crouther and others were members of the Mary Wong performance troupe, known for its absurd brand of comedy that kept audiences off-balance and on their toes. They eventually became the opening act for Rock’s stand-up tour, forming an enduring mutual respect.

“Chris has an insightful style of comedy,” explains Crouther. “He’s a genius who sees through things – breaks them down so they make sense and you ask, ‘Why didn’t I think of that?’”

“We were writers and comics,” continues Crouther, “who thought, ‘Here’s the box. Let’s get out of it.’ Eventually he hired a couple of us for the TV series. He wanted stuff that fit him, but also wanted us to come in with things that were left-of-center.”

As shepherd of the flock, Rock is more than happy to see his talent roster in the spotlight. “Yeah, it’s a good feeling to see everybody spread their wings,” he says. “These guys are really talented. I see Louis directing. I see Lance starring in this movie. I see Wanda. These are my peers. They’re branching out; we’re all doing our thing. It’s great.”

Tackling a full length feature film was a large undertaking compared with the demands of a five minute, one character TV sketch.

With so much talent in front of, and behind the camera, collaboration was important. For producer Caldecot Chubb, the pursuit of “the joke” on film can be quite challenging. Happily, his partners proved adept at their quest.

“Chris sets a pretty high standard for what’s funny,” says Chubb. “He presses Louis on occasion, at least in the writing phase. ‘There’s a better joke in here,’ he’ll say. Oftentimes - a day or two later - that better joke emerges.”

Even though he is a producer, Rock sees a role reversal. “I work for Louis right now,” he says with a laugh. “Whenever you’re doing a movie, you work for the director.”

Regarding the film’s star, Lance Crouther, producer Chubb is equally impressed at the transition the writer/comedian has made to a complete screen actor. “What Lance is doing is amazing. He’s a writer and stand-up comedian who, for an accident of casting, became Pootie Tang. We’ve stripped away the thing he most relied on: language. He’s turned himself into a silent comedian, a physical comedian. There’s a fifteen minute section of the movie in which Pootie escapes to the countryside; I don’t think he has six lines. Language was always this guy’s tool of the trade; watching him find expression in his body was just great.”

Strong celluloid heroes require an effective bad guy. “Pootie Tang” delivers a bonus of two distinctive villains.

Screen veteran Robert Vaughn (“The Man from U.N.C.L.E.”) plays corporate titan Dick Lecter, who, lacking a conscience, will sell anything to the public - especially children.

While Lecter battles Pootie in the corporate world, the filthy Dirty Dee (Reg E. Cathey) fights him in the streets. It’s hard to tell whether Dirty Dee commits more crimes against society, or against cleanliness, as everything he wears or owns is covered in grime.

“I’d rather think of Dirty Dee as close to the earth,” says Cathey with a laugh. “He’s into the soil. Kind of organic. He wears this wonderful white suit and white fur coat, all covered with filth. He likes to be dirty.”

For a producer, bringing all the elements together can be challenging and satisfying. “You’ve got to have fun while you’re shooting,” says Rock. “Before working with someone, I look at his talent. Then I look at his ability to behave himself for three months. I’ve got to work with nice people or else I won’t do it.”

“I love shooting in New York,” he says. “I did my show and ‘Saturday Night Live’ in New York. It’s weird shooting in the old neighborhoods. Some cool people come by. Some crazy people come by. You know. A nice balance between cool people and crazy people.”

For producer Chubb, the shoot was equally enjoyable. “The actors were lovely to work with. There was no ego. They were there for the picture. There was a vibe on set that we were lucky to have.” -- © 2001 Paramount Pictures

Old 06-28-2001, 04:56 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

CAST

Chris Rock

Lance Crouther

David Cross

Andy Richter

CREW

Louis C. K.
Director

Louis C. K.
Screenwriter

from www.rottentomatoes.com
Old 06-28-2001, 05:07 PM   #55
djb
Administrator

Whoooh Andy Richter! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2001, 10:45 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

enough info?
Old 06-28-2001, 11:09 PM   #57
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Uh...could anyone post the script?
Old 07-13-2001, 02:31 PM   #58
Murphy3
Guru

anyone gonna check out legally blonde?
reese witherspoon is greatness as well..probably my favorite young actress
Old 07-13-2001, 02:33 PM   #59
djb
Administrator

My gf really wants to see it. I told her we have to see Scary Movie 2 first though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2001, 02:36 PM   #60
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Dude, I watched a movie the other day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] . Cast Away, it was pretty good.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 02:43 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

i saw the first scary movie...
it didn't suck as bad as the nutty professor 2 or that other dumb ass movie ... big mamma's house..but it sucked pretty bad

you'd have to pay me to go see scary movie 2
Old 07-13-2001, 02:52 PM   #62
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well don't see baby boy!!! I saw that lastnight and it was NOT worth the price of admission!!!!
Old 07-13-2001, 02:53 PM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

i was hoping that would be good...
well, i'll take your advice
Old 07-13-2001, 02:54 PM   #64
djb
Administrator

Haha did you see the trailer for the new Snoop Dogg flick (Bones)? Man that shit looks hilarious (supposed to be a suspense/horror flick I think).

I laughed my ass off watching Scary Movie last year. Yea I felt five times dumber coming out of the theater, but it was fun to watch.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:00 PM   #65
Murphy3
Guru

i'm just not into most "african american" comedians...
well, i do like eddie murphy alot of times...but not in dr dolittle or the nutty professor..and chris rock is pretty good
Old 07-13-2001, 06:46 PM   #66
djb
Administrator

Check out the Spiderman teaser over at Rotten Tomatoes if you haven't already. I think it looks pretty cool but Spiderman looks incredibly fake (cgi obviously) in those shots.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:13 PM   #67
Murphy3
Guru

you like the rottentomatoes site dj?
Old 07-14-2001, 12:39 AM   #68
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Chris Rock is the funniest! Now that you mention it Murph...I am into most African American comedies. The Kings of Comedy is one of the funniest movies ever.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:53 AM   #69
Murphy3
Guru

well, actually..if you want to go back 20-30 years, then yeah..i'd agree..
i'm just talking about today's african american comedians..i just don't like them that much in general
Old 07-14-2001, 01:59 PM   #70
djb
Administrator

Yea I'm starting to really like that site. I don't really keep up-to-date on the entertainment industry so that site's a pretty good resource.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:34 PM   #71
Murphy3
Guru

just bumping this site up for all of the lord of the rings fans so that they can check out the movie
Old 11-25-2001, 01:53 PM   #72
Murphy3
Guru

Less than one month until the Lord of the Rings comes out...
anyone else seen the previews and just blown away by it?
it's expected to make over a billion dollars worldwide
the most popular fictional book of the 20th century comes to life in theatres around the world.
i can't wait
Old 11-25-2001, 01:54 PM   #73
Murphy3
Guru

check out
rottentomatoes.com
Old 11-27-2001, 04:47 PM   #74
Murphy3
Guru

what a Christmas present..the Lord of the Rings..this will be the best Christmas ever