Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-10-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Losing faith in Parcells

This Cowboy team is not very well coached - the penalties are KILLING us. Plus the personnel moves Parcells has made (signing George and failing to get a 2nd corner) have put us in a severe bind. Add the poor moves with the lack of new talent the draft has brought us will probably make us a sub-500 club this year.

I'd like to have faith but last year is looking like a mirage.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Losing faith in Parcells

I don't know if i've lost faith in Parcells but I think ever since the incident with Bryant i'm starting to see Parcells as a different coach. I don't even think these guys fear him anymore. I mean I can understand a couple of false start penalties here and there but we are getting game changing penalties called on us. It's not like guys like Whitten and Ellis to commit the stupid penalties like they committed today. I'm not really sure what's going on with this Cowboys team. Maybe I expect us to be better than last year.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The play calling was nothing short of atrocious. They showed little aggressiveness EXCEPT for the trick play and going for it on 4th a couple of times. Parcells came in with the mindset that they were going to win the game by the run and he never wavered until it was too late.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Losing faith in Parcells

I guess the loss of Q-caine has been too much to bear for poor poor Bill. I still hear the "Trust in Bill" rants in my head from last year from a board member or two.

Oh well.

He stunk today.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
This Cowboy team is not very well coached - the penalties are KILLING us. Plus the personnel moves Parcells has made (signing George and failing to get a 2nd corner) have put us in a severe bind. Add the poor moves with the lack of new talent the draft has brought us will probably make us a sub-500 club this year.

I'd like to have faith but last year is looking like a mirage.
It doesn't look good right now, but the jury is still out on most of his moves.

Last years draft doesn't look bad:
Newman - looks like he'll be at least a good corner...could be better
Johnson - Starting center
Whitten - Good looking young TE
James - Starter in waiting at LB

Too early to judge this year's draft. We took two linemen on the 1st day and sometimes they take longer to develop. Plus this year's draft isn't over. Unless Jones is a total bust, that Buffalo trade should work out pretty good for us.

This offense has only scored over 20 points one time in four games. In my mind, if we'd signed a veteran corner we'd still be 2-2.

The Eddie George signing didn't hurt us. It's a one year deal and we had money. No cap ramifications after this season.

That being said, we should be running Lee more so maybe the signing hurt by giving Parcells the option.

Parcells has seen better days than today, but if you look at where this team was and where it is now, it's night and day.

When it's all said and done, you could do a lot worse than trusting in Bill. In the long run, he'll make more good decisions than bad.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt get too impacient. It is likely that we dont make the playoffs this year, but i can live with that. I am just thinking about next year when Drew Henson steps in (hopefully after a little bit of experience this year), julius is back, our secondary has more experience, and we have a top 5 draft pick and a top 20. We ave a chance to be pretty good in the next 2-3 years.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Just returned from the game, and I think a little patience is required. There were some questionable play calls, but the thing that killed us were the penalties. Absolutely killed us, and that is very surprising in a Parcells coached team.

Still early in the season, I think we should wait before making judgements.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, it's too early to call for anyone's head or anything like that...but, on an individual game basis, Parcells got nothing more than a 'D' for his effort this game...probably closer to an 'F'.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

I was at the game, the refs hosed us on those stupid back to back personal foul calls. Lets face it this year is a transition year, we have a old ass quarterback ourfirst pick is injured and only the wide recievers are above average on offense. We are starting a cornerback that probobly couldn't be anickleback on any other team. Anyone "loosing faith" in Bill Parcels know next to nothing about football or his track record. Look at last year. Last year alone should buy him 5 more years w/o a single question about his aptitude for coaching. Remember Chan Gaily? Barry Switzer? Campo? Bill Parcells is the greaest coach this side of Jimmy Johnson. We lost our starting Quarterback cauz Parcells is a hard ass, if he will let the starting QB go no player on the team can believe they are "safe". Parcells has won many more games for the Cowboys than he has lost based on coaching alone, the redskins for example: bad clock management vs. good clock management. I actually hope we DONT make the playofs this year, so we sit pretty in the draft the year Henson takes over the reigns.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
Anyone "loosing faith" in Bill Parcels know next to nothing about football or his track record.
What impact players has Parcells brought in? Has Parcells EVER had a team who commits SOOO many KILLER penalities EVERY game? This is a different Parcells.

Quote:
Look at last year. Last year alone should buy him 5 more years w/o a single question about his aptitude for coaching.
He's a good coach but he's also the General Manager. Where's the draft? Who are the players who are becoming upper tier players?

Quote:
I actually hope we DONT make the playofs this year, so we sit pretty in the draft the year Henson takes over the reigns.
Loser talk. Winners want to make the playoffs EVERY year because good things can happen in the playoffs. And what makes you think Parcells will be able to find a good player in the draft? Where's the recent payoff?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

What scares me is what I said about 3 weeks go:

The team is becoming Jet-Lite. How many d@mn players can he bring in from his old teams? He's not looking for the future. he's not developing young players. He's plugging in stopgaps that will make the Cowboys "competitive" but have no realistic shot of beating the upper echelon teams. And that is what is disheartening. There are maybe two guys: (Witten is one of them) that can be considered "studs" when they mature. Dallas needs some growth at some key positions.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:55 PM   #12
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

ummm jerry jones is still the gm buddy. Look at the talent he has gotten out of no names.... Anderson lol, Hambrick, Quincy Freakin Carter, Roy Williams has blossomed under Parcells, Bryant is finally contributing. Terry Glenn reserected his career under Parcels. The O-line doesnt blow anymore. We went from one of the worst secondaries and defenses in all of football to one of the BEST in the 1 year u have given Parcells. He has had 2 drafts, and only one to develope players. Newman is a stud, and our second pick was injured all year last year. People actually know who Jason Whitten is. The offense went from the cellars to the middle of the pack. OMG, you guys are spoiled rotten brats, he did the impossible last year, how quickly you forget. Take away the one game versus the Giants where the refs hosed us with the stupid personal fouls on 2 sacks by the defense. Take away that one game and your left with a 13-6 Cowboys team that had previosly gone 6-11 three straight years. So ya, stfu
Old 10-12-2004, 11:44 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has Parcells EVER had a team who commits SOOO many KILLER penalities EVERY game? This is a different Parcells.
No, and neither have the Cowboys. It's only four games so it could be an aberration. Guys like Dat Ngyen and Greg Ellis know better. Can we wait until we're more than a quarter into the season to evaluate this?

Quote:
He's a good coach but he's also the General Manager. Where's the draft? Who are the players who are becoming upper tier players?
Whitten and Newman. The jury is still out on most of his draft picks.

Quote:
And what makes you think Parcells will be able to find a good player in the draft? Where's the recent payoff?
What about Curtis Martin, John Abraham or Chad Pennington. I know, that’s not recent enough. Well let me ask you a question…how long do you think it takes to evaluate a draft?

Think about this. Two years ago we were a rudderless organization. Parcells comes in with a track record that will stand up to any coach we could have signed. In fact, I can’t think of another coach we could have brought in with enough clout to make Jerry step aside. Add to that the fact that he went to the playoffs I his 1st season. Now we’re 2-2…not 0-4 but 2-2 and you’re already losing confidence. What does he have to do to build up a little equity with you?

Old 10-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #14
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
ummm jerry jones is still the gm buddy.
In name only. Parcells does the draft and free agency. Jerry just does the contracts

Quote:
Roy Williams has blossomed under Parcells, Bryant is finally contributing. Terry Glenn reserected his career under Parcels. The O-line doesnt blow anymore.
Roy would blossom under anyone. Bryant is contributing? Averaging four catches a game and more fumbles than touchdowns. Glenn is also averaging four catches a game. I do give credit to Parcells for the offensive line but what backs are in the backfield?

Quote:
We went from one of the worst secondaries and defenses in all of football to one of the BEST in the 1 year u have given Parcells. He has had 2 drafts, and only one to develope players.
I look at other organizations and they seem to be plugging draftees to fill the gaps but where are our "out of nowhere" players?

Quote:
Newman is a stud, and our second pick was injured all year last year.
Is Newman a stud or do teams just decide to throw at the other corner (the guy who wouldn't be the nickel back for most clubs)?

Quote:
The offense went from the cellars to the middle of the pack.
OMG we have sunk so low as to be proud of being "middle of the pack"?

Quote:
OMG, you guys are spoiled rotten brats, he did the impossible last year, how quickly you forget. Take away the one game versus the Giants where the refs hosed us with the stupid personal fouls on 2 sacks by the defense. Take away that one game and your left with a 13-6 Cowboys team that had previosly gone 6-11 three straight years.
And most coaches (including Parcells) historically have their biggest improvement from season 1 to season 2. Players are replaced with better ones, the players who stay buy into the system, and the coaches get used to the organization. Where is the improvement? Where are we better than last year? I'm not as concerned about wins (although I expect the playoffs) but I want the team to be improved across the board. The only spots where we improved were WR and OL. QB is a wash. RB is arguably worse. And the defense is worse everywhere.

Quote:
So ya, stfu
Nice to know that you haven't lost your debating style.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #15
Max Power
Banned

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Parcells lacking confidence in Cowboys

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
October 11, 2004
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Don't expect the Dallas Cowboys to go for it on fourth down any time soon.

Coach Bill Parcells said Monday that he's giving up on that sort of risk. The Cowboys failed twice in a 26-10 loss Sunday to the New York Giants.

His reasoning: He only tries it when he has confidence in his team and right now he absolutely doesn't.

"I don't really know what to expect at this point,'' Parcells said.

Parcells is fed up with how many penalties and turnovers the Cowboys (2-2) are committing, and the crucial times those mistakes and others are occurring.

It all comes down to concentration, he says. His players simply lack it, no matter how much coaches talk about it -- and they've been talking about it a lot since training camp.

"Quite apparently, we're not getting through to the team,'' Parcells said. "It hasn't changed no matter how hard I've tried to do it, tried to emphasize it. We have periodically gotten better, but then we fall right back into the same thing.''

Parcells was especially angry about the penalties. There were 11 for 74 yards against the Giants, upping the Cowboys' per-game averages to nine for 88.25. Only two teams average more penalties and Dallas is easily the worst in yards.

In his previous 16 seasons, Parcells' most-flagged team averaged 7.1 for 63.75 yards. That was the first team he ever coached. Since then, the norm has been around 5.5 for 43.5, with the Cowboys slightly above both figures last season.

Parcells considers this season's team more talented. However, they're apparently less focused.

"We're making too many dumb plays,'' cornerback Terence Newman said. "I am surprised because that's something we really emphasize. ... You've got to focus out on the practice field. If you jump (offsides) a couple of times in practice, then it will carry into the game. They should fine us or something.''

Dallas' meltdown against New York began long after the first failure on fourth-and-1, although that might have been an omen.

Down 3-0 from the Giants' 5 in the first quarter, Parcells went for the lead. He called the first play he ever taught this team, a simple handoff behind two Pro Bowl linemen on the left side. New York turned it into a 2-yard loss.

"I would say we call that play 200 times, we wouldn't have a mental error,'' Parcells said. "But we did.''

Another mistake came with less than a minute left in the first half. The Cowboys were up 10-3, had all three timeouts left and were at midfield after surprising the Giants with consecutive runs, so he called a safe pass to tight end Jason Witten. Witten fumbled and New York turned it into a 51-yard field goal, thanks partly to a penalty that stopped the clock with 16 seconds left and gave it five more yards.

"It should be 13-3, and it's 10-6,'' Parcells said.

Then came the series that summed up all of Parcells' frustrations.

With New York punting on fourth-and-1, Keith Davis charged into the backfield and wound up close enough to punter Jeff Feagles that the wily veteran drew a penalty that gave the Giants a first down. Parcells was especially upset because players were warned all week to avoid the punter on fourth-and-5 or less.

"You shouldn't be putting yourself in that position,'' he said.

Tiki Barber, who hadn't done much at that point, broke off a 58-yard run on the next snap. Still, the drive would have slowed with two sacks -- had there not been personal fouls on both. New York ended up scoring the touchdown that put it ahead for good.

With Dallas unable to make any breaks for itself, Parcells tried forcing one -- on fourth-and-1 from his own 43, down just six points with more than 10 minutes left.

A swing pass to fullback Darian Barnes was stopped, prompting immediate questions about the decision not to punt as well as the play that was run.

"If you just go by the book, you are not going to win many games in this league,'' Parcells said. "Instincts have served me right over the years.''

Old 10-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

To be honest the Cowboys haven't had a good draft since the 90's. It seems like every year I try to believe into the hype of our rookies and they show flashes in their rookie season but after that they fall flat. I remember the draft were we drafted Roy, Ross, Gurode, Jamar Martin and Antonio Bryant. This was suppose to be our future right here. Roy has become a stud which there is no shock there and Antonio has been inconsistent.

1996-2005
Old 10-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #17
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Think about this. Two years ago we were a rudderless organization. Parcells comes in with a track record that will stand up to any coach we could have signed. In fact, I can’t think of another coach we could have brought in with enough clout to make Jerry step aside. Add to that the fact that he went to the playoffs I his 1st season. Now we’re 2-2…not 0-4 but 2-2 and you’re already losing confidence. What does he have to do to build up a little equity with you?
I just want improvement. I know we won 4 games last year by a combined 13 points so we were REALLY close to being a 500 team last year. So I want to feel like we are better than a 500 squad.

And we need rookies to contibute every year with the salary cap. Parcells hasn't really been forced to deal with building a squad with the cap and thus he isn't emphasing rookies enough. Parcells wants veteran players who he can trust. Unfortunately those players either get a good contract (which we can't afford) or they suck (see Eddie George).
Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Max, you've got a rookie playing right corner in Reeves. You have another rookie playing DB in the nickle, in Jones. You have a fairly young guy in Dixon playing safety. You have a second-year guy playing a hell of a left corner. And of course, you have a young All-Pro safety. The secondary is very young. Where are the stop-gap old veterans you are talking about? Parcells has clearly committed to a youth movement in the secondary. Besides the guys just mentioned, you have the young Hunter and the rookie Thornton who are now out with injuries. You have all kinds of youth in the secondary.

At linebacker you have a young guy in James who looks like he is going to play in the NFL for a long time. Yet, with the guys who start at those positions, I see no reason to be concerned about a lack of rookies making an impact. That just wasn't going to happen, no matter who they could have drafted.

Yes, they could probably use some good young talent on the defensive line. But let me remind you that Kaleb Thornton is getting a lot of playing time these days. So there's one rookie who is getting a shot here.

Flozell and Allen are guys you don't need to worry about. Al Johnson is a second-year guy, and Matt Lehr is pretty young too. Torrin Tucker is a promising young player, as is Andre Gurode. The trusty-Parcells-vet from last year is gone at RT.

Bryant appears to be improving at WR, and he too should play in the NFL for a long time. With Keyshawn and Glenn aboard as well, there just wouldn't be much opportunity for a young player at these positions. And, as we have seen all around the league, WR is a position a lot like RB where a guy can play at a satisfactory level right out of the college. So if we need one in a couple years, he should be easy to get.

Rashard Lee is a very promising second-year player at RB. Of course, there is the rookie Julius Jones, who would doubtless be playing if he weren't hurt.

Witten is a stud young TE.

Henson and Romo both appear to have solid potential at QB.

Tell me again that Parcells only wants to play veterans, and that there isn't much youth on this team.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #19
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

nicely said chumdawg
Old 10-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #20
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

not to mention Keyshon Johnson has already contributed more than that loser Galloway who Jerry traded 2 number 1 pics for. Thank god Bill is making sum Gm decisions. Who would u rather have: hambrick or eddie george and julius jones? Carter, Stroener, and that other loser or Vinny and our current cast. The O-line from 2 years ago or this one? the offense from 2 years ago or this one? the Dline of 2 years ago or this one? Lets face it, we got real lucky in a number of games las year and Parcells outcoached the opposition. This year things are falling in place. Questioning Bill because of penalties in the Giants game is ridiculous. Look at Bills track record for all his other teams and now this team. Who would you rather have coaching? name 3 coaches you would rather have. and i bet 1 of them is a Parcells disciple up in New England.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
not to mention Keyshon Johnson has already contributed more than that loser Galloway who Jerry traded 2 number 1 pics for. Thank god Bill is making sum Gm decisions. Who would u rather have: hambrick or eddie george and julius jones? Carter, Stroener, and that other loser or Vinny and our current cast. The O-line from 2 years ago or this one? the offense from 2 years ago or this one? the Dline of 2 years ago or this one? Lets face it, we got real lucky in a number of games las year and Parcells outcoached the opposition. This year things are falling in place. Questioning Bill because of penalties in the Giants game is ridiculous. Look at Bills track record for all his other teams and now this team. Who would you rather have coaching? name 3 coaches you would rather have. and i bet 1 of them is a Parcells disciple up in New England.

No one isn't complaining that the Cowboys haven't upgraded. The Cowboys just haven't upgraded worth a damn. Our running and quarterback personal is better than it was a year ago but it's still not that good. I'm watching todays game and Bill can't even run the clock out because he doesn't have a running game. But because Eddie George is better than THam that means our team is fixed? No, that isn't how it works. My problem with Parcells is that this season he sort of took a step back. Instead of getting younger he went older and not with the right pieces. If he would have gotten older with let's say Jevon Kearse or Terrell Owens I wouldn't complain but he got older with Vinny and Eddie George who are both on the downside of their careers.

1996-2005
Old 10-18-2004, 04:31 PM   #22
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Dont forget vinny was going to be a BACKUP until Q-Carter decided to keep supporting his coke habit.... running back by comitte is a Parcells theme and Jones is injured. Ediie is in a 1 year deal and after Jone's injury I'm damn glad we signed george or Lee would be the only true running back on the roster with any talent. We may be taking a step back record wise, but our schedual isnt near as easy and we have upgraded our talent level to build towards the future, plus we got 2 first rounders coming next year and Henson in our pockets. it was obvious to me this was a rebuilding year when Carter was let go, and we traded our first round pick, and traded a 3rd rounder for Henson. Eddie and Vinny were mere backups thrust into a starting role. Furethermore the 2 guys you suggest Parcells should have gone after would have had enormious salary-cap ramifications before this team has a chance to truely re-tool. how ignorant would that have been?
Old 10-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #23
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

I think its funny that everyone in the NFL has faith in Parcells and has had faith in him since his days with the Giants, but some Dallas fans loose it after 5 games; despite last year's miracle. Parcells knows how to build a winning franchise, as famous man once said "lets look at the record".
Old 10-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dont forget vinny was going to be a BACKUP until Q-Carter decided to keep supporting his coke habit.... running back by comitte is a Parcells theme and Jones is injured. Ediie is in a 1 year deal and after Jone's injury I'm damn glad we signed george or Lee would be the only true running back on the roster with any talent. We may be taking a step back record wise, but our schedual isnt near as easy and we have upgraded our talent level to build towards the future, plus we got 2 first rounders coming next year and Henson in our pockets. it was obvious to me this was a rebuilding year when Carter was let go, and we traded our first round pick, and traded a 3rd rounder for Henson. Eddie and Vinny were mere backups thrust into a starting role. Furethermore the 2 guys you suggest Parcells should have gone after would have had enormious salary-cap ramifications before this team has a chance to truely re-tool. how ignorant would that have been?

That's your opinion but I think Vinny was going to be the starter from the get go. If the Cowboys were depending on having Julius Jones to be their savior of their running game then they were doomed from the get go. That's too much pressure for a rookie running back. Dominque Davis didn't have that pressure which is why he has become a nice running back in this league.

Quote:
it was obvious to me this was a rebuilding year when Carter was let go
If this was such a rebuilding year than why are our starters at the wr,ol, qb and rb positions all are over 30? That's not rebuilding. We should be seeing more of Lee, Bryant, or Drew Henson if this was such a rebuilding year. Cowboys were in it to win this year and they showed that by signing Marcellus Wiley who hasn't even come to play this season yet.

1996-2005
Old 10-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #25
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

what part of running back by comittee do you not understand? gimme George, Jones, Lee over Hambrick anyday. Gimme K.J. over Golloway anyday. Gimme Vinny, Henson over Carter and no names anyday. Gimme Wiley over Ekuban anyday. The only place we aged was at the back-up QB and HB spot and 1 place on the D-line. The team is comprised of younger more promising players tis year compared to last.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think its funny that everyone in the NFL has faith in Parcells and has had faith in him since his days with the Giants, but some Dallas fans loose it after 5 games; despite last year's miracle. Parcells knows how to build a winning franchise, as famous man once said "lets look at the record".
I'm looking at the record and it's 2-3. If you are talking about track record than we should be having more wins then losses right now. Remember that every team Parcells has taken over in the second year he gets more wins then the second. Track record means nothing in todays NFL.

1996-2005
Old 10-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #27
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

remember that everyteam he coached the first year was pathetic except for this one.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #28
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

if track record means nothing, lets re-hire chan gailey, or better yet barry switzer. Get a grip, Parcells is one of the top 3 coaches in the NFL. I once again challenge anyone to pick 3 coaches they would rather have then Parcells, and i garuntee 1 of those will be a Parcells disciple up in New England.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
what part of running back by comittee do you not understand? gimme George, Jones, Lee over Hambrick anyday. Gimme K.J. over Golloway anyday. Gimme Vinny, Henson over Carter and no names anyday. Gimme Wiley over Ekuban anyday. The only place we aged was at the back-up QB and HB spot and 1 place on the D-line. The team is comprised of younger more promising players tis year compared to last.
WTH are you talking about? I understand running back by committee quite well but you use the excuse of Julius Jones being injured as the reason why the running game sucks right now and that's not the case. Your settling for minor upgrades. That won't get you anywhere in this league. I never said that Bill didn't upgrade this team. I stated he did however the upgrades weren't significant. The Eagles went from James Trash to Terrell Owens. The Cowboys went from Joey Galloway to Keyshawn Johnson. That's what I call an upgrade. The Cowboys signed Marcellus Wiley. The Eagles signed Jevon Kearse.

The Cowboys are over 30 at the quarterback, offensive line, running back, wide reciever and linebacker position. If this was truly a rebuilding year I should be seeing more of guys like Bradie Jame and Antonio Bryant. Not guys who won't be here two years from now.

1996-2005
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM   #30
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
remember that everyteam he coached the first year was pathetic except for this one.
Yea, I agree this team was an actual playoff contender last season. I wonder why we are 2-3 this year.

1996-2005
Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
if track record means nothing, lets re-hire chan gailey, or better yet barry switzer. Get a grip, Parcells is one of the top 3 coaches in the NFL. I once again challenge anyone to pick 3 coaches they would rather have then Parcells, and i garuntee 1 of those will be a Parcells disciple up in New England.
Where did I say Parcells was a bad coach? I wouldn't replace him for anybody in this league but I question whether or not Parcells has lost his magic touch. It's jumping the gun a bit but whatever. This team last season clearly overachieved but it was alot more disciplined then last season. I don't remember calling challenges on so many plays that didn't even call for a challenge. I don't remember a player throwing a jersey at Parcells and him keeping that player on his team. This team just doesn't seem disciplined.

1996-2005
Old 10-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #32
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

[quote]
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

The Cowboys are over 30 at the quarterback, offensive line, running back, wide reciever and linebacker position. If this was truly a rebuilding year I should be seeing more of guys like Bradie Jame and Antonio Bryant. Not guys who won't be here two years from now.
now i am going to stop you right there. The ONLY starter on the O-line over 30 is Allen, perhaps the best ever. No Adams is not 30, and everyone else in there early 20's. So your wrong about that. Quaterback, once again Vinny was a back up and we have Henson now, which provides the potential young talent you are crying about not haveing. Cross aply the same facts to Julius Jones and the RB situation. They veteranes we have in there provide us with a sure thing while the rookie QB picks up on things instead of feeding him to the wolves and George would fit in ANY RB by comittee situation. Jones is hurt that sucks, but your right he is not our savior. he is yet another young, talented player you claim we donthave who would be getting heavy minutes if he wasnt injured. So while we are over 30 at those 2 positions, we already have young, talented replacements which is more than most teams can claim in the salary cap era. WR: yes we are a little old there Glenn just turned 30, and K.J. is in his mid 30s .... with antonio bryant though you must concede this is the most talented part of the team with both a young, middle, and veterane presance. Linebackers: Ngyun and Singleton are still in there late 20's. Coakley is the only one over 30 (and arguably our best LB). All of the second teamers are under 24 years of age. So your AGING TEAM CONCEPT IS FALSE, your claims ARE WRONG, your AGES ARE WRONG. Brady James is seeing minutes and already has 13 takles. And Antionio Bryant isn't better than either of the other 2 recievers. Its a myth that this team is old based on 2 veteran signings who weren't intended to start in the first place. Thank you coke-head Carter, and our number 1 draft pick being injured.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #33
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

now i am going to stop you right there. The ONLY starter on the O-line over 30 is Allen, perhaps the best ever. No Adams is not 30, and everyone else in there early 20's. So your wrong about that. Quaterback, once again Vinny was a back up and we have Henson now, which provides the potential young talent you are crying about not haveing. Cross aply the same facts to Julius Jones and the RB situation. They veteranes we have in there provide us with a sure thing while the rookie QB picks up on things instead of feeding him to the wolves and George would fit in ANY RB by comittee situation. Jones is hurt that sucks, but your right he is not our savior. he is yet another young, talented player you claim we donthave who would be getting heavy minutes if he wasnt injured. So while we are over 30 at those 2 positions, we already have young, talented replacements which is more than most teams can claim in the salary cap era. WR: yes we are a little old there Glenn just turned 30, and K.J. is in his mid 30s .... with antonio bryant though you must concede this is the most talented part of the team with both a young, middle, and veterane presance. Linebackers: Ngyun and Singleton are still in there late 20's. Coakley is the only one over 30 (and arguably our best LB). All of the second teamers are under 24 years of age. So your AGING TEAM CONCEPT IS FALSE, your claims ARE WRONG, your AGES ARE WRONG. Brady James is seeing minutes and already has 13 takles. And Antionio Bryant isn't better than either of the other 2 recievers but you must concede we run a 3 reciever set more now than anytime in the past which provides him with heavy minutes. Its a myth that this team is old based on 2 veteran signings who weren't intended to start in the first place. Thank you coke-head Carter, and our number 1 draft pick being injured.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #34
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

well insert quincy morgan for antonio bryant.