Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do they go in the draft?

... talking about VY, Leinart, Bush, and White if those that are Juniors decide to go pro?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, I think VY moved himself to #1 overall tonight.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Seriously, I think VY moved himself to #1 overall tonight.
preach.

Houston is staring a LeBron situation in the face - and you can't pass on the hometown favorite. I doubt they'll show their hand though... but I can see the texans taking a couple of picks to move down to second or third overall.

The Texan's GM needs to bluff and see who comes calling.

1.) Titans (from HOU) BUSH
2.) Saints LEINHART
3.) Texans (from TEN) YOUNG

18.) Cowboys HUFF
Old 01-05-2006, 03:05 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
18.) Cowboys HUFF
...or Scott
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I'm pretty sure parcells is done shopping for high priced OL groceries.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:14 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Evaluating offensive line talent has been his major failure over the past three years but that doesn't mean that we can just stop looking. That O-line has to be fixed wheather it's Scott or somebody else and it's cheaper to draft them (at least where we're picking)
Old 01-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

If I'm a GM I don't touch Leinart. I just have a bad feeling about him. Other than that, I can see VY going #2 to the Saints, or some other really bad team, because he can do a lot on his own. And I think Bush needs to go to a good offense to succeed. Speed kills, but not when it's stopped in the backfield.
In other words I think they'll be some trades if VY and Bush both come out. Unless it goes Bush #1, VY #2, Houston has a lot of value with the #1 pick
Old 01-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no way in hell that Houston passes over Reggie Bush. geez.

There is also no doubt in my mind that Vince Young plays for the University of Texas next season.

And Just211...that's nuts. Leinart is a stud and will be better than Carson Palmer if you believe the scouts.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

All 3 will go back to school. I'm calling it.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
There is no way in hell that Houston passes over Reggie Bush. geez.

There is also no doubt in my mind that Vince Young plays for the University of Texas next season.

And Just211...that's nuts. Leinart is a stud and will be better than Carson Palmer if you believe the scouts.
He's going to have to be pretty dang good to be better than Carson Palmer.

Again my choice would be franchise quarterback first in almost every case. I have big fears of betting my franchise on a running back with their 3 year or so average career.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of the NFL scouts are saying that Leinart is fundamentally better than Palmer. That is pretty impressive to me.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
A lot of the NFL scouts are saying that Leinart is fundamentally better than Palmer. That is pretty impressive to me.
You are correct. That WILL be pretty impressive because Palmer has been all he's cracked up to be this year.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you heard that doc? Palmer has the strongest arm in the nfl and is a scouts dream. Ive heard some questions about leinart where there were NONE about palmer. I like leinart but I dont know about the palmer thing. I think NEXT year is his true breakout year.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's basically assured that Houston will not go with Young partially because of Carr's current contract status.

From what Norm's been talking about, Leinart could be the third QB taken in the draft if Young and Quinn both come out.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-05-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Cutler could go before him too. THis is pretty comical actually. I doubt quinn will ever amount to much.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

From a marketing stand point, drafting VY would be a genius move on the Texan's part. From a football perspective, the most sensible pick is still Reggie Bush. Plus, I just heard on the radio that Carr is owed an 8 million roster bonus, so he would be difficult to move if that's something they were considering doing this year.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Davis is the texans best player so i dont see why everyone thinks taking a severly overrated bush makes sense. BTW if Scott falls to 18 and the cowboys dont take him i will throw up. He is a stud. No way he falls that far though.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #18
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, neither Davis nor Carr are what's wrong with the Texans. But what are you going to do? You've got the top pick the draft - obviously you're not going to be picking based solely on need.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-05-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
From a marketing stand point, drafting VY would be a genius move on the Texan's part. From a football perspective, the most sensible pick is still Reggie Bush. Plus, I just heard on the radio that Carr is owed an 8 million roster bonus, so he would be difficult to move if that's something they were considering doing this year.
That's why I was saying that his contract is prohibitive of the Texans drafting Young or any other QB... I just don't see it happening.

I agree that the skilled positions on offense isn't their biggest issues... I like Carr....
I'd probably look to trade down just a bit 'IF' you can get a 1, a couple of 2's, and maybe a 3 or two... obviously, it depends upon how far you move down..
Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

If I recall correctly, they've traded down quite a bit in the past so I wouldn't be surprised. I can't say that gets me too excited.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

I have heard alot of people say well the texans need bush because even if he isnt the best they could do as far as maybe trading down and getting several other players because he will bring them excitement. Guess what, get better. People will watch you if you win. (Unless you play baseball in miami.)
Old 01-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
BTW if Scott falls to 18 and the cowboys dont take him i will throw up. He is a stud. No way he falls that far though.
It's still early but he's rated suprisingly low. Scouts Inc. just released it's first mock draft and he isn't even in the first round.

FYI, they have Ferguson at 3, McNeill at 19 and Miami's Winston at 32.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i'd take cutler before leinart as well... but cutler isn't a top 5 pick, no way...

i could definitely see the saints taking young.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #24
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I dont think the Cowboys should take a lineman in the first round. Im against taking a lineman so early and giving him big money because they are often dissapointments. Also, this draft looks to be loaded with talented guards and tackles that will be available later.
They should take a safety or a reciever in the first round, it would be awesome if Michael Huff or Derek Hagan were available.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:02 AM   #25
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I see the Texans trading down with someone that wants to steal Vince Young from N.O.

Also the Cowboys better not pass on Huff, he will be a stud.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #26
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I think the Texans should trade down also.
Oakland wants Bush so they should trade down to the 6 spot (I think this is were Oakland is at) and draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson (OL being their biggest need). But then again, Green Bay needs a lineman in the worst way also and they could draft him at the 5 spot.

Last edited by mavs413; 01-06-2006 at 12:21 AM.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #27
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

This may seem like a wacky idea, but I have a feeling that there is a chance that the Texans could trade the number one pick to the Saints. I'm thinking the Saints would be willing to give up some kind of pick if they don't want to risk the chance of losing out on Vince Young (or someone else) if they are really sold on them. That would be really interesting.

1. VY (N.O.)
2. RB (Hou)
3. ML (Tenn)
Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i could see the jets wanting to trade up for bush as well. martin is certainly on the tail end of his career.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #29
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Any chance Dallas tries to make a move for Young or Leinart?

You know Jerry has been licking his chops for an "athletic QB" ever since selecting Quincy

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

I said earlier I would give up the cowboys 1st 3rd and JJ for Leinart, if vince comes out i would do the same deal for him. Not gonna happen though. Scott is being severly underrated. I have seen several miami games and Winston isnt CLOSE to Scott. I know you would think he is more athletic because he came as a TE but Winston is not as good of an athlete as scott is nor is he as powerful. If he does slide that late, I would trade my 4th this year and 3rd next for the right to swap spots and draft him at the beginning of the second.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

If jerry could pull off getting Vince I would go buy season tickets tommorrow.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #32
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Getting Vince would be crazy but too bad Parcells has a crush on Bledsoe VY sure would look good with a star on his helmet though.

The cowboys would have to come up with a package similar to what N.O offered, to get Ricky,(maybe more) but it would be worth it!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #33
dude1394
Guru

I'd do it, parcells can't draft anyway.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I'd do it, parcells can't draft anyway.
I beg to differ...
Old 01-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs413
I dont think the Cowboys should take a lineman in the first round. Im against taking a lineman so early and giving him big money because they are often dissapointments. Also, this draft looks to be loaded with talented guards and tackles that will be available later.
They should take a safety or a reciever in the first round, it would be awesome if Michael Huff or Derek Hagan were available.
I don't think the risk of drafting an O-lineman in the first round is inordinately high relative to the other positions. I agree that we need to take a receiver at some point in the draft but the odds are that he'll be our 4th best player at that position. You don't see many WR's coming in and making an immediate impact. Is Hagan the prospect that Clayton (the LSU Clayton) was? OTOH, there were three O-linemen drafted in the first round last year. Brown started 13 games, Barron started 11 and Mankins started all 16.

I don't advocate drafting for need if it means leaving a more talented player on the board but all things being equal we need to draft a lineman.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #36
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I beg to differ...
He appears to be able to draft everything but Offensive Linemen.......

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I don't think the risk of drafting an O-lineman in the first round is inordinately high relative to the other positions. I agree that we need to take a receiver at some point in the draft but the odds are that he'll be our 4th best player at that position. You don't see many WR's coming in and making an immediate impact. Is Hagan the prospect that Clayton (the LSU Clayton) was? OTOH, there were three O-linemen drafted in the first round last year. Brown started 13 games, Barron started 11 and Mankins started all 16.

I don't advocate drafting for need if it means leaving a more talented player on the board but all things being equal we need to draft a lineman.
I bet if you look back, OLineman has been pretty solid in the first rounds of drafts, espeicilly top ten picks. Ogden and Pace leap to mind. Obviously these guys were supposed to be no brainers, but hey, so were Tim Couch and Kijana Carter. I'd be willing to bet the numbers of 1st round OLine busts is a much lower number in relation to other positions.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-07-2006 at 12:38 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 AM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
He appears to be able to draft everything but Offensive Linemen.......
exactly...that's why I say draft one of the top 2 or 3 on the board because the FA pickings are slim. After seeing Rivera spare us to death I'm not in favor of handing Runyon a big bag of cash.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #39
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Yeah, Rivera sucked...

Whether woody comes back or not, I'd like to see a saftey taken with the 18th pick. That is unless we move down or up...

Anybody know about Laron Landry LSU? Where does Huff go?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #40
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i live in nashville and had never heard about the link between mcnair and young. but it's been in the papers all week. that would be a great situation, for young to learn from mcnair for a season or so (if the titans work out mcnair's contract).