Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's official, Avery is gone.

ESPN.com

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

No confirmation yet from anyone else.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

don't we have this thread already???

The Dallas Mavericks parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs, ESPN.com has learned.

Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, after Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of Jason Kidd.

Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735) but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs.

NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing other candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo
NBA sources...Mark Stein would not get this wrong.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Um, it's from Marc Stein. It's confirmed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Per the Ticket, the Mavs are declining to comment and will release something shortly.

In other words, it's confirmed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Per the Ticket, the Mavs are declining to comment and will release something shortly.

In other words, it's confirmed.
totally done deal.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The first head is about to roll.

Is Josh next?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

so . . . Avery to GS as Asst. to Nellie?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

A+++++++++++++++++ thread.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

not "official" yet... but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
so . . . Avery to GS as Asst. to Nellie?
more likely to SA as an asst.....but his ego wouldn't allow that...he evidently needs to be able to say "My Team!" over and over....

Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
not "official" yet... but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time
Mavs say they will be making "an announcement soon"...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

6 weeks too late.

Let´s see now if we can get D´Antoni here, and what we can build out of the ruins of a former hopeful roster.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

BREAKING NEWS:

Devean George has blocked Avery's departure from the Mavs, exercising an obscure clause in his contract.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
more likely to SA as an asst.....but his ego wouldn't allow that...he evidently needs to be able to say "My Team!" over and over....
Surely Nellie is about to check out on that team. Avery as super replacement worked once for both of them. Think about it. Nellie revitalizes the team with the empty excitement of small-ball, Avery steps in promising a "system" that will get them over the hump. Nobody figures out what's up until 2 more years and 10 million more dollars are spent. They could run that scam all over the league.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
6 weeks too late.

Let´s see now if we can get D´Antoni here, and what we can build out of the ruins of a former hopeful roster.
really?? We want poor man's Nellie, here????

Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Surely Nellie is about to check out on that team. Avery as super replacement worked once for both of them. Think about it. Nellie revitalizes the team with the empty excitement of small-ball, Avery steps in promising a "system" that will get them over the hump. Nobody figures out what's up until 2 more years and 10 million more dollars are spent. They could run that scam all over the league.
strange....that seems a bit familiar....UL, you might be a genius!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I could actually talk myself into D'Antoni, if he agreed to bring Del back to architect the defense.

Maybe I'm gullible buying into the idea that Del was the architect of the defense and losing him was a huge key....but the evidence seems to support that thought.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I take my dog for a walk and come back to this!! WOW, that was quick. All in favor? YAYYYYYYY
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #21
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I could actually talk myself into D'Antoni, if he agreed to bring Del back to architect the defense.

Maybe I'm gullible buying into the idea that Del was the architect of the defense and losing him was a huge key....but the evidence seems to support that thought.
then why not just let Del coach?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #22
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This absolutely needed to happen. Now we can all just move on with our off-season.

Howard should be the next to go.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #23
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

Del for head coach and Westphal as assistant. Got defense and offence that way.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

I would like to see how many assists Kidd could average...but come on, hasn't he proven (with a far superior athletic group) that his "system" is a failed bit???!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Del for head coach and Westphal as assistant. Got defense and offence that way.
I want an actual head coach please.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

let's get jeff van gundy!
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

i hate buffering.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

Stein added more....

The Dallas Mavericks parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs, ESPN.com has learned.

Avery Johnson failed to get the Mavs out of the first round for the second straight season.

Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, ever since Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of point guard Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735), but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs and 3-12 in the postseason since Dallas was dismantled by Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals.

New Orleans wrapped up a 4-1 series rout of Dallas with Tuesday night's 99-94 victory.

"This is tough for me," Johnson said after the game, not specifically responding to a question about his job security but struggling to contain his disappointment after the Mavs' second straight flameout in the first round.

NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

The New York Knicks and the Chicago Bulls have openings.

Sources close to the situation have said that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban actually considered firing Johnson before the playoffs, specifically after Cuban and Johnson engaged in an emotional argument after a March 18 home loss to the Lakers.

Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss at New Orleans -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 Finals.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #29
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
BREAKING NEWS:

Devean George has blocked Avery's departure from the Mavs, exercising an obscure clause in his contract.

CLASSIC! Rep for you

Now the real debate goes on, who is the next coach?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 04-30-2008 at 01:27 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
then why not just let Del coach?
Well, I've pondered this, and I think there's something to a guy that is a great assistant, and a not so great head coach.

Certainly it's more common in the NFL, but I think it applies to the NBA as well. I don't know what goes into being a great head coach, but being able to motiviate must be part of it. Carlisle had his greatest success as an asisstant to Bird, and Bird always gave him all the credit for the X's and O's. So would the team have been as good without Bird? I have no idea.

So to me, I think I'd rather have Del in the lead aissistant role.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #31
slowmo

can't wait to see Avery go to Phoenix and try to remold Nash into a real point guard , amare into a duncan like PF, and Shaq into a low post player like Diop!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #32
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I would like to see how many assists Kidd could average...but come on, hasn't he proven (with a far superior athletic group) that his "system" is a failed bit???!
We don´t have the roster anymore to fit ANY system. We need someone who´s not reluctant to use his players up to their strengths, and who´s not sitting players just because.

We need someone who gets fun back on the court.

Oh, and we need someone whos not smart assing the players all the time. Not many out there who could do that.

Not sure any of the other guys on the market can.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

I agree with thiggy....Del is not a head coach anymore...he is much better suited to be a coach/counselor to the head coach than to the young guys of today...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #34
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

We just need a coach that lets the players play and controls the outcome. That was Avery's biggest mistake, he took the control away from the players.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 04-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
We don´t have the roster anymore to fit ANY system. We need someone who´s not reluctant to use his players up to their strengths, and who´s not sitting players just because.

We need someone who gets fun back on the court.

Oh, and we need someone whos not smart assing the players all the time. Not many out there who could do that.

Not sure any of the other guys on the market can.
ok...but remind yourself who you're asking for....another guy who is not a well developed coach...he only preaches one side of the ball: offense.

no thanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
slowmo

If only Brown had waited until this evening before taking the Charlotte job.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #37
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Avery Johnson dismissed as coach

Art Garcia | Mavs.com

Posted: April 30, 2008

Avery Johnson was dismissed as coach of the Dallas Mavericks the day after a disappointing season ended with a first-round playoff exit in New Orleans. Incredible highs and heartbreaking lows marked the tenure of Johnson, who leaves as the most successful coach in franchise history by many measures.

Johnson became the eighth coach in team history on March 19, 2005 and posted a record of 194-70 (.735) during the regular season. He led the Mavs to playoffs four consecutive years, including a trip to the 2006 NBA Finals. His postseason record of 23-24 (.489) included 12 losses in the last 16 games.

“I would like to thank Avery for his valuable contributions to the Mavericks organization,” president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. “Over the past four years, he has been an integral part of our team’s success. We wish AJ nothing but the very best in his future endeavors.”

In his first full season as head coach (2005-06), Johnson guided the Mavericks to 60 wins and their first appearance in the NBA Finals. He became the fastest coach to reach 50 wins (62 games), coached the Western Conference All-Star team and was named the NBA’s Coach of the Year.

Johnson led Dallas to a franchise-record 67 wins, the NBA’s best record, the following season. The mark was also the sixth best in league history. Following a 10-0 month of February, Johnson garnered Western Conference Coach of the Month honors, an award he won three times in his career.

This past season, Johnson became the fastest coach in NBA history to reach 150 wins with a victory over Memphis on November 17, 2007. He accomplished that feat in just 191 games.

“It is never easy to relieve a coach of his duties, especially one of Avery’s caliber,” owner Mark Cuban said. “He is a talented coach and I want to thank him for his efforts over the last four years and what he has done for this franchise. We wish him well in the future.”

Last edited by HexNBA; 04-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #38
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
We just need a coach that's let's the players play and controls the outcome. That was Avery's biggest mistake, he took the control away from the players.
over managing everything was one of AJ's biggest problems....he just never trusted his players....maybe he had reason with a few...but it wouldn't have mattered who was in here...that is just his way. Might he learn to change/grow now that he has been fired?...maybe...was he going to learn that here? Not a chance.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #39
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Firing Avery won't do anything without a significant roster overhaul. Red Auerbach couldn't win a championship with this group. The top of the roster is great, but the 3rd-10th guys need to be a whole, whole lot better (excluding Bass).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #40
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I think Carlisle will be our guy.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote