Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default F the Iggles Gameday Thread

F the Iggles. I think this is the time we've finally got 'em. Tyson Thompson will probably break a return. We will probably intercept McNabb twice; Ware gets one and Newman gets the other. Witten scores twice, Julius once, and the Cowboys win 27-20.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: F the Iggles Gameday Thread

chum has gone into the fortune telling business....
*warning, admitted homer pick coming*
Dal 30
Phi 21

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

bang!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

Ware!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

time out on third and 19???

Old 10-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

our running game is pathetic

Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

yes sir!!!! Glenn's still gotta motor!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:F the Iggles Gameday Thread

wow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

wow....the risk pays off!!!!

Old 10-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Well. Didn't expect this. And of course I totally took the Eagles in fantasy pick-em this week.

Bledsoe certainly does look sharp. Will be interesting to see if they can sustain this or if they'll let up.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

DAMN!! I sat terry glenn this week!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

tick, tick, tick...

why the hell isn't the clock moving any faster?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Uh oh. Anyone else feel really uneasy?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #14
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

This ain't over.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Uh oh. Anyone else feel really uneasy?
I am. This feels like every other game where the Cowboys are leading and let their opponent come back. It all starts with 1 boneheaded mistake. Hopefully the outcome is different day.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
ames7
Diamond Member

I'm switching back & forth between this & the Astros/Braves on ESPN... that thing's going into the 18th now! Clemens on the mound.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Stros win in the 18th

Boys have it in hand.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #18
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Really great game for the Cowboys. The Cowboys haven't really looked overwhelming the last 4 weeks so it was nice to see a blowout. It made it even better that it was against the Iggles. Bledsoe had another really good game and is looking like a really good offseason pick-up. Ware brought his 5 game sack total to 3.0 (not too bad). The pass rush was did a pretty good job time, but I think some of their pressure was thanks to good coverage by the secondary.

I wonder how bad Julius Jones is hurt. He was having himself a pretty good game, but didn't play at all in the second half. I know the commentators were pointing to that one hit by Simoneau as where he got injured, but it looked to me like he was limping for a while in the second quarter before that hit. Tyson Thompson did look pretty decent there in the second half filling in for Jones.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

In the 2nd quarter the Cowboys did something on defense that I've never seen before: They essentially lined Terrance Newman up at tackle...of course it worked as he went unblocked and picked up the sack. I say we look at him at the noseguard next week...
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Today the Cowboys served notice to the NFC East--nay, to the entire NFL--that they are a force to be reckoned with. Thing is, as many young players as they have they are only going to get better as the season wears on. A win over the Giants next week and a win over the Iggles at the Linc should give us the division and quite probably home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

Here the Cowboys come again.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thing is, as many young players as they have they are only going to get better as the season wears on.
You know what concerns me now...I don't think we can play any better than we played to day. That was total domination in all three phases of the game. Bill's going to have tdig deep in his bag of tricks this week because for the next 6 days all the players are going to hear is how great they are.

It occured to me late in the game that they didn't go down the field at Newman all day
Old 10-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

Did anyone else think Glenn's right foot was out of bounds on that touchdown down the right sideline? Maybe he was being pushed out, I don't know. Looked like he didn't get two feet down, though.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #23
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I initially thought so too but after watching it a few time on super slo-mo I think it was too close to be reversed either way. I was still a bit suprised that thay didn't at least try.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

There's one reason as to why it wouldn't have been reversed and one reason as to why it was a TD regardless.

1. Yes, the right foot was definitively out of bounds, BUT you cannot tell from any of the replays whether or not one of his elbows hit before or just after the foot hit out of bounds.

2. If you remember, Glenn actually slowed down for the ball. No, he didn't leave his feet to catch the pass. He left his feet because Sheppard's right hand pulled him down. If he's not pulled down, he easily gets both feet in. It was when he was pulled down by the left shoulder that his right leg swung out landing out of bounds.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

From the Philly Inquirer

IRVING, Texas - Deep in the cavernous visiting locker room, deep in the heart of Texas, Terrell Owens pulled a white Dallas Cowboys jersey from his traveling bag, shook it out, and put it on for the bus ride to the airport and the long, quiet charter flight home to Philadelphia.

Leave it to Owens to find the perfect coda for a dissonant afternoon in Texas Stadium. That was exactly what all his teammates needed to see after a long day of watching those jerseys nearly run them off the field.

If Owens were communicating, he probably would observe that it hardly matters what he wears when the game is over - and, in that, he would be right. But it's worth pointing out that donning a Michael Irvin throwback jersey was probably not the best choice for someone who spent most of the day looking for the quickest route to run out of bounds.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #26
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Proving once again there are no bounds to Terrell Owens' assery.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

Interesting report, D2K. About your other comments...they didn't really go deep at much of anybody, did they? I remember one that was overthrown, but I can't recall another.

Newman played the slot a lot. He didn't shadow Owens, did he? I'll have to go back and look at that play you talked about.

Murph, I'm sure your analysis of that TD catch is spot on. Perhaps that is why the Iggles didn't even dare review.

D, that's interesting that you say they can't play much better. Yes, I agree that they pretty much dominated all phases. Perhaps lost in all their prowess otherwise is the fact that they seem to have learned how to cover kicks. And Thompson seems like a legitimate threat on kick returns. Crayton is still leaving the ball too vulnerable on punt returns, but he seems to be running well.

But still, interesting, the idea that they may have reached their pinnacle. I don't think so. Individually, a lot of guys can do more. And I think they will before the year is out.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Newman played the slot a lot. He didn't shadow Owens, did he? I'll have to go back and look at that play you talked about.
By down the field I don't necessarily mean deep, I just don't remember a pass being thown to any reciever that Newman was covering more then 5 yards down the field. I'm going from memory though so I could be forgetting a play or two to prop up my boy Newman.

Quote:
Crayton is still leaving the ball too vulnerable on punt returns, but he seems to be running well.
I was expecting to see Newman out there when Philly had to pun from their end zone. I thought Bill was going to use him the way we used Prime Time in his later years.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:49 AM   #29
chumdawg
Guru

Yeah, I was wondering that same thing. I guess he may have ditched that, though, since the preseason. If ever there were a time to use it, it would have been then. Maybe he doesn't want to mess with Crayton's confidence. Or maybe he just wants Crayton to develop on his own in those situations. But damnit, Crayton, please do not fumble on one of those!

I'm watching the game again right now. You're right about that Glenn touchdown. His knee or elbow may well be down at any rate, making the whole question moot.

CRAP, why couldn't we have beat Washington?????
Old 10-10-2005, 01:03 AM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, by the way, the pass interference on Henry was bullshit. Lewis was pulling Henry's jersey, that's all the contact there was.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:41 AM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

I liked it when, with two minutes a few seconds left in the first half, Joe Buck said Keyshawn did the Iggles a favor by stepping out of bounds when he gained eight yards on first down. As if the Cowboys, up 24-3 and never having been stopped yet, didn't have a chance to keep getting first downs there. With a second and two.

What an idiot.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

Thought I would also add that McNabb was terr-bull (in my best Charles Barkley voice) today. I wonder who one-hoppd more passes this weekend, McNabb or Bomar?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:37 AM   #33
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about reaching their peaks and how this may be the best the Cowboys can play.. I know one thing, this is the best football Dre Bledsoe has played in his life, he's accurate, very efficient, and he is in command in the huddle. Is it too early? only time will tell. On the defensive side of the ball however, I think there are tons of things that need to be worked on and there's plenty of room for improvement. Julius hasn't had his best game yet, so we still got that going. Other than that, great win for the Cowboys today.

Contact Me
Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 AM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

alby...the best Drew Bledsoe has played in his life? In his life? Do you realize that Drew Bledsoe is the 8th all-time leading passer in the game? Let me tell you, if you don't know: Drew has done this and then some. Many times before.

Now, if you mean that he is now wise and crafty, you will get no argument from here. Crap, I'm confused. He has had some brilliant seasons in the past, and I'm sure you know that. Are you making the case that he is now at the pinnacle of a brilliant career?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #35
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
alby...the best Drew Bledsoe has played in his life? In his life? Do you realize that Drew Bledsoe is the 8th all-time leading passer in the game? Let me tell you, if you don't know: Drew has done this and then some. Many times before.

Now, if you mean that he is now wise and crafty, you will get no argument from here. Crap, I'm confused. He has had some brilliant seasons in the past, and I'm sure you know that. Are you making the case that he is now at the pinnacle of a brilliant career?
i think we're seeing the best QB play the boys have had in the past 6 or so years, including aikman's last 2 years with the cowboys where he alternated between mediocrity and chad hutchinson like spareness.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I liked the aggressiveness by the offense and also the defense. They just handed it to the eagles. Great game by Newman. Awesome game by Drew. I have started liking Drew a lot. If not for drew we would probably be 1-4.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #37
sike
The Preacha

some like to give credit to chum for starting the thread, but I give to that guy who had 6 consecutive posts at the beginning of the game while all you fake fans were off sipping beer.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #38
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

Early in his career, with the Patriots, he was setting records but at the same he was throwing interceptions, turning the ball over, and getting sacked.

His best season was in 1996, yes?
4000 yards 27 touchdowns 15 interceptions
QB rating: 83.7

Career Highs
QB rating: 87.7 in 1997
completion %: 61.5 in 2002
avg yds per completion: 7.5 in 1998

Dallas Cowboys 2005/2006 season
1351 yards 10 touchdowns 3 interceptions (1 rushing TD)
QB rating: 102.0
completion %: 61.6
avg yds per completion: 8.5

He is without a doubt the most efficient he has been in his career. Of course, the gun slinging numbers aren't there when he had to throw the ball 50 times a game, but was that really when he played his best football?

In spite of his storied, hall of fame career, he is in reality re-writing his career bests this season.

Contact Me