Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #81
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Giant Killers! Gameday Thread!

Cortez w/a Billy Cundiff-esque redemption. Great win, to survive all that. 4-2! We may have something here...
Old 10-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #82
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Giant Killers! Gameday Thread!

you're welcome.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #83
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Woah lets slow down on bashing the defense. They may not be a "superbowl" defense but they held the highest scoring offense in the nfl to 13 points. Yeah they gave up plays at the end but the game was already over if they didnt play well earlier.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #84
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
Woah lets slow down on bashing the defense. They may not be a "superbowl" defense but they held the highest scoring offense in the nfl to 13 points. Yeah they gave up plays at the end but the game was already over if they didnt play well earlier.
The defense was tremendous. Yes, they allowed a late TD, but they were dominant nearly all game long. If the defense plays like this in every game the rest of the season, the Cowboys will win at least 12 games.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #85
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

exactly.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #86
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually not trying to bash the defense. What I'm griping about is a coach who thinks in this day and age that your defense can protect small leads. There is a reason(imo) that all of the cowboys games have been so close.

One thing however, aikman was talking about the d-line being gassed. I actually thought that a rotation was put in place to keeps those guys fresh. And I thought I saw them gassed at the end of the redskins games as well.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #87
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Crap, Crayton may have broken his ankle!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #88
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Seriously? Damn. Let's hope it's not that serious. Guess we'll be seeing Price next week.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #89
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I'm actually not trying to bash the defense. What I'm griping about is a coach who thinks in this day and age that your defense can protect small leads. There is a reason(imo) that all of the cowboys games have been so close.

One thing however, aikman was talking about the d-line being gassed. I actually thought that a rotation was put in place to keeps those guys fresh. And I thought I saw them gassed at the end of the redskins games as well.
And I completely agree with you....especially against the Giants.

And here's a question, .....Can't you call a timeout on defense? Obviously you can, but they appeared to desperately need it as the Giants were marching down the field. A TO might have helped them to regroup.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #90
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Seriously? Damn. Let's hope it's not that serious. Guess we'll be seeing Price next week.
Parcells said postgame that he thinks he may have broken it. Doesn't know for sure yet.

But yeah, Price should get in the games now. Will Newman take punts back?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what gripe Murph and dude are having. Is is just that they didn't go for the first down when they were up 7-6? Because they were doing some good things on offense during the times that they managed to get out of their own way. The offense self-destructed enough times with those turnovers. That's not gameplanning. And then two missed FG attempts. And a penalty that wiped out a touchdown.

And don't forget that they played with Julius Jones, and they played a good amount of the game without Flozell Adams, too.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #91
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
Parcells said postgame that he thinks he may have broken it. Doesn't know for sure yet.

But yeah, Price should get in the games now. Will Newman take punts back?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what gripe Murph and dude are having. Is is just that they didn't go for the first down when they were up 7-6? Because they were doing some good things on offense during the times that they managed to get out of their own way. The offense self-destructed enough times with those turnovers. That's not gameplanning. And then two missed FG attempts. And a penalty that wiped out a touchdown.

And don't forget that they played with Julius Jones, and they played a good amount of the game without Flozell Adams, too.
They absolutely should have gone for it on 4th down and 2 inches...not a doubt in the world about that. That's my gripe with Parcells along with the decision to pass the ball on the 1 yard line on third down with the Giants out of timeouts with a minute remaining. That was a much worse call than not going for it when they had a chance to put the game out of reach. But both were bad.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

As for general playcalling, I don't have a huge issue except I believe they ran too much on first down. I think it was around 75% of the time that they ran the ball on first. That doesn't do alot to help out the passing or the running game. But, the Giants did little to slow Cowboys down...It was almost exclusively self inflicted today.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #93
Murphy3
Guru

I forgot another absolutely terrible call...They tried to run a screen at the Giants 9-10 yard line on third down. You don't run screens that close to the goal line....ever.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #94
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

who else thinks roy williams should put on a couple pounds and play linebacker..... [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #95
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I forgot another absolutely terrible call...They tried to run a screen at the Giants 9-10 yard line on third down. You don't run screens that close to the goal line....ever.
if only they faked the screen, and threw it out to the flat to witten on the other side, he had keyshawn and glenn blocking in front of him with noone else to go through...

Contact Me
Old 10-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #96
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

[quote]
Originally posted by: Murphy3
[quote]
Quote:

They absolutely should have gone for it on 4th down and 2 inches...not a doubt in the world about that. That's my gripe with Parcells along with the decision to pass the ball on the 1 yard line on third down with the Giants out of timeouts with a minute remaining. That was a much worse call than not going for it when they had a chance to put the game out of reach. But both were bad.
I disagree. It was crucial to put at least some points on the board. 4 turnovers in a game is enough. If they missed the conversion it would be huge. I'm betting the odds of winning a game with 4 turnovers is much better than winning a game with 5 turnovers. 5 is just unacceptable. Why risk it.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:46 PM   #97
Murphy3
Guru

I think the odds of making it on 4th and 2 inches is higher than making the field goal with a relatively new deep snapper, a offensive line that had already given up enough penetration to block one FGA, and a field goal kicker that hasn't been able to stay in the league with any regularity...that had already missed one field goal and had barely squeaked in another.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #98
Five-ofan
Guru

Murph, they had a timeout left when we threw it on third down. Was still stupid bcus of risk vs reward but they did still have a TO.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 AM   #99
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

that catch that johnson made in the 2nd qrt. was the most incredible catch i have seen in a long time outside of the fumble he had a great game
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #100
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

My only complaint about the coaching, in the entire game was at the end.

IMO, they should have either run again, or thrown the quick slant (trying to pop it) on the third down play, instead of dropping back. If they didn't make the first, at least they would have forced NY to spend there last timeout. Then IMO if they didn't get the 1st, they should have given them the safety, and forced them to travel the entire field w/o any timeouts, instead of giving it to them at the 50.

Other than the last minute, the defense was awesome, and the offense wasn't too shabby either.
Turnovers, missed field goals and prevent-defense made all three phases have lots to work on this next week, but overall a very good job and good game.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #101
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: snoop
that catch that johnson made in the 2nd qrt. was the most incredible catch i have seen in a long time outside of the fumble he had a great game
it was straight up redunkulous!...I watched it over and over with some buddies....it got more impressive each time.

any update on Crayton???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #102
chumdawg
Guru

Flozell has an ACL. Out for the year!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #103
chumdawg
Guru

Crayton didn't break his ankle. They found a little chip on the x-ray, but there's a chance that's an old chip. They will know when the MRI is done today, but there's a chance it's a bad lateral ankle sprain. In which they would scope the ankle quickly and take the chips out. That wouldn't be season-ending, and might be around a month or so.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #104
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
it was straight up redunkulous!...I watched it over and over with some buddies....it got more impressive each time.

any update on Crayton???
I didn't catch that one. Is there a link somewhere on the internet where I could watch it?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #105
alby
Guru

Quote:
Flozell has an ACL. Out for the year!
well sh*t

Contact Me
Old 10-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #106
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:

any update on Crayton???
I didn't catch that one. Is there a link somewhere on the internet where I could watch it?
just come over to my place...I've it on DVR.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #107
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Flozell with ACL tear - is this the end of Drew's pass protection? lets pray...
Old 10-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #108
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

I imagine losing Flozell isn't going to help out our running game either.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #109
ames7
Diamond Member

Man am I regretting all the bad stuff I yelled at Flozell yesterday through the television. We are going to seriously miss that guy.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #110
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I wont be surprised if pettei is moved to left and tucker is put on the right
Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #111
chumdawg
Guru

I wouldn't be surprised if Allen is moved to LT.