Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Tracking the great Yankees to one more championship (2005)

Now with the invincible Randy with us and getting the cheers of our son Pedro in the neighborhood, this seems to be an easy season for the best team of the world (besides my hometown team).

1-0

The Yankees and the Mavs champions the same year? It could happen, it could happen (GO AVERY!)
I'd wish I could be such optimistic about the Cowgirls.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Tracking the great Yankees to one more championship (2005)

the Yankees are the most vomit inducing franchise in any sport...
Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Tracking the great Yankees to one more championship (2005)

My vote goes to the Lakers, but the Yankees are pretty close.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Damn Yankees.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

They may be the damned Yankees; however, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they win 120 games or Randy Johnson wins 30. This team is loaded.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Who cares. They won't win it all anyways even if they go 162-0. The Curse of the Bambino has been reversed. The spankees will lose for decades. You heard it here first.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

The yankees won't win it all but one of the teams with the lowest payrolls of all, the Twins will. Just imagine the look on Steinbrenners face after a team that has a payroll thats 1/4 of the Yanks, wins it all.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Poor Yankees, so good and humble, so underrated.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Cero y van dos.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Defeats won't be tracked officially.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It's hard to win when your closer plays like a walking turd. Rivera stinks.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Pavano nailed by line drive as Yanks fall to Orioles
April 10, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Melvin Mora's line drive went up the middle, and Carl Pavano couldn't get out of the way. The ball hit the right side of the pitcher's head, and ricocheted into foul territory down the right-field line.

Pavano, who remained standing, reached for the right side of his head and immediately was taken out. Players on both teams called it a frightening spectacle, but the Yankees said he avoided serious injury. Taken to a hospital, Pavano was diagnosed with a mild concussion, then returned to Yankee Stadium shortly after the Baltimore Orioles completed Sunday's 7-2 win over New York.

"Tests showed there was a brain," he joked to Yankees spokesman Rick Cerrone.

Pavano, who declined to speak with reporters, went with the team to Boston for the three-game series against the Red Sox that opens Monday. Yankees physician Dr. Stuart Hershon said Pavano was fine, but Cerrone said it was too early to determine whether Pavano (0-1) would take his next scheduled turn in the rotation.

"I almost didn't run when I saw the ball hit him," said Mora, who found out during the game that Pavano apparently was OK. Mora had been hitless in his previous 19 at-bats.

"It happened so fast, I had to tell myself to run," he said. "I was just thinking maybe he was bleeding or something."

Yankees teammate Mike Mussina, then with the Orioles, was hit in the face by a liner off the bat of Cleveland's Sandy Alomar Jr. in May 1998, a ball that broke his nose and cut his face.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Did I tell you that the best baseball team of the universe (besides my hometown amateur team) finally won yesterday?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:06 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

'nuff said.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I must have seen this replay 20 times now, and I still can't see where the fan made contact with Gary Sheffield. My eyes playing tricks on me?

I was so caught up in the potential melee in right field, I lost track of the game. Could someone please tell me who prevailed in the end? I would assume the Yankees, but I grant that I may be mistaken.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

The Sox won the game. To be honest, I don't think that fan intended to make contact. He should have been ejected (as he was), but Sheffield calmed very quickly to his credit. I just don't know.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

Could the MLB start the season over, please? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I have not followed the Yankees. How are they doing?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:44 AM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yankees are currently 4-8. Dodgers are leading the league at 9-2. Boston is a respectable 7-5
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

4-8 and Steinbrenner is already whining like a little beeyatch!

Suck it Yanks.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

It's not that bad, because of Colorado. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #22
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

yankees can kiss my back side. i hope they all choke. can you pay even more for a championship? that's just sick how they are spending over 200 million for a stupid sport when we have outrageous gas prices. i know it's stupid, but i blame the high prices on them, haha.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

Yanks tally 13 runs in second frame
Bombers send 17 batters to plate against Devil Rays
By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- When every hitter on a team has a hit and scores a run in a game, that's a pretty good night for an offense. When every member of a lineup accomplishes that feat in one inning? That's ridiculous.

That's exactly what happened in the second inning of Monday night's Yankees-Devil Rays game, as New York exploded for 13 runs against Tampa Bay, busting out to put an end to its four-game losing streak with a 19-8 victory.

"It seemed like everything they put up there, we were hitting," said Tino Martinez, who went 2-for-2 with a grand slam and five RBIs -- in the inning. "The guys played hard tonight, had great at-bats and fed off each other. It definitely helped us relax and have a good game."

The Yankees sent 17 batters to the plate in the historic inning, belting 11 hits and walking three times.

"Felt like it lasted a long time," said Tampa Bay left fielder Carl Crawford. "I can't recall going through an inning like that."

The frame started when Tampa Bay starter Rob Bell walked Hideki Matsui, then served up an 0-1 fastball to Alex Rodriguez which was quickly deposited in the seats for his third home run of the year and a 2-0 Yankees lead.

Jason Giambi then doubled, moving to third when Jorge Posada grounded out to first. Martinez singled in Giambi, advancing to second when right fielder Chris Singleton bobbled the ball, making it a 3-0 game.

But the Yankees were just getting started.

Following a Tony Womack single, Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams and Gary Sheffield rattled off three consecutive RBI singles, boosting the lead to seven. A single by Matsui loaded the bases for A-Rod, who belted a two-run double to left to make it 9-0.

"You never foresee that," said Rodriguez of the inning. "I've never seen so many runs scored after one out."

Bell was finally put out of his misery after Rodriguez's double, as Tampa Bay called on Lance Carter from the bullpen.

Carter intentionally walked Giambi to load the bases again, bringing up Martinez. The first baseman put the icing on the inning, drilling a grand slam to right field, capping the 13-run inning and receiving a curtain call from the Bronx crowd.

"Maybe it will relax us a little at the plate," Martinez said, "especially with men in scoring position, where we've been struggling."

The 13-run inning was the most for the Yankees since June 21, 1945, when they scored 13 in the fifth inning of a 14-4 win at Boston. Monday marked just the third time they have scored 13 in an inning, the first at Yankee Stadium. The 11 hits in the frame are the most in a single inning by the Yankees since they did it on April 11, 1987, at Kansas City. The club record for runs in an inning is 14, which the Yankees did on July 6, 1920, against Washington at Griffth Stadium.

"It was kind of frustrating at the time -- and long, obviously," Crawford said. "Just one of those things where we couldn't get three outs."

"We got a lot of breaks," said manager Joe Torre. "Guys diving, Womack stealing and Jeter pokes the ball through the hole. It was good to swing the bats."

Mark Feinsand is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:29 PM   #24
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Who got owned? Yankees got owned. 7-11 now, right? LMFAO.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:32 PM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

Hmmm, maybe we won't get the 100 wins. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

(I think I never had used the moon so many times in a thread)
Old 04-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Don't worry Chiwas...at least they have a lot of talent in the farm system. Wait...wrong franchise [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #27
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure when the biggest thing you got to brag about is beating the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, you're probably not having a very good season.

[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

Geez, what is wrong with the Yankees? For the love of NYCdog, what...is wrong...with the Yankees??
Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #29
Chiwas
Guru

HAHAHAHA! The Rangers couldn't sweep! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

8-11
Old 04-25-2005, 01:50 AM   #30
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Even a blind squirrel finds a...

You get the picture [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 02:35 AM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

Did the Rangers win the series from the Yankees? Did...the Rangers...win the series...from the Yankees?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 PM   #32
Chiwas
Guru

Hmmm, may you repeat the question?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:27 AM   #33
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

thanks to this young fellow, we'll soon have all Yankee games broadcasted over here (as long as he starts)

and I'll root for the Yanks just for the fun of being booed by all the guys except for Chiwas [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #34
Chiwas
Guru

In the deepness of their soul, everybody roots for the Yankees, twelli.

What's up with Wang?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #35
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

He starts tomorrow against Tampa. His first game against Toronto was a win, but he was relieved before the game was decided.

So hope for a good pitching performance against the Florida fish.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #36
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
In the deepness of their soul, everybody roots for the Yankees, twelli.
this is a lie of Satan.

not looking for the Yanks this season...too old...too tired...too evil.......

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 AM   #37
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Records so far:

Texas - 15-14

New York Yankees - 11-18
Old 05-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #38
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It's going to be a tough race between the Yabnkees and Devil Rays to see who can put together the worst team in the AL this year.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #39
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Yankees haven't looked very sharp. I know, maybe they can spend more money.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #40
Drbio
Banned

The spankees suck.

And we all enjoy every loss.