Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dare I start a thread wishing AntalGoldi a happy 30th birthday?

I recently saw how many of the members on this site just totally crapped on another member on their birthday... completely ignoring them like they never existed. For that reason, I was reluctant to start another thread wishing someone a happy birthday. Hopefully the tough crowd will be a little more receptive and a little less willing to totally embarrass another member on the celebration of their date of birth. You'd think that some of you 'so called men of Christ' would treat people just a little bit better than what you do.

AntalGoldi, happy birthday.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but AntalGoldi is no longer with us.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

RIP
Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but AntalGoldi is no longer with us.
And I suppose you're going to dance on his grave... That sounds like something you would do.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
And I suppose you're going to dance on his grave... That sounds like something you would do.
From the Obituaries in the Dallas Morning News Metro Section
1/21/06

(picture)
Antal Goldi
Was born in Denton, TX on February 6th 1976 to Antal Sr. and Anita Goldi. He was a beloved father, brother, son, uncle, and friend. Antal loved life and lived it to the fullest. He cherished each day as though it was a gift. He will be remembered for his contagious smile and his boyish charm. Antal married Rena Georgina Brown of Oak Cliff and then enlisted in the Navy in 1995 from which he was soon honorably discharged. Antal and his family remained in Oak Cliff during his brief tenure as a naval seaman. Rena died in 1999. Antal was an active Girl Scouts volunteer with both his daughters, Inez and Supra and in Cub Scouts with one son, Antal III. He was a school secretary for DISD for the last 10 years. He was a member, first, of the First Baptist Church of Trinity Heights and then of Cliff Temple Baptist Church where he was active in Sunday School for the Third Grade for most of his time at Cliff Temple. He also taught piano to many children over the years. Antal was preceded in death by his parents and Anita. He is survived by Antal III, Inez, and Supra. Funeral services will be 2:00 PM Wednesday, at Laurel Land Memorial Chapel. Visitation will be 7-8:00 PM Monday at Laurel Land Funeral Home.

Last edited by XERXES; 02-07-2006 at 09:54 PM.
XERXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

You guys have got it all wrong. His/ Her name is actually Antal_Godi. There is no "L"!! Reports of his/her death have been greatly exaggerated!!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMavs
You guys have got it all wrong. His/ Her name is actually Antal_Godi. There is no "L"!! Reports of his/her death have been greatly exaggerated!!
(deep sad breath...puts hand on oz's shoulder...key the violins...) "it's time to let go oz...it's time to let go, my friend..."
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

So who was this guy? A banned poster reincarnated or somesuch? I guess I missed something.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
So who was this guy? A banned poster reincarnated or somesuch? I guess I missed something.
He used to teach piano.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
He used to teach piano.
TEACH?? This guy was a once in a generation type virtuoso! A Victor Borge, if you will!! I am still holding on to hope that we'll see him again sometime, but you can never tell with these genius types.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

God forbid a straight answer would ever appear in the Lounge.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMavs
TEACH?? This guy was a once in a generation type virtuoso! A Victor Borge, if you will!! I am still holding on to hope that we'll see him again sometime, but you can never tell with these genius types.
I reiterate, "It's time to let go Oz...we'll never see a genius like Antal again..."
Old 02-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna go put on a Chopin etude in his honor.

Or maybe Liszt. Yes, I think for Antal I'll go with Liszt. He would have liked that.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #14
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'm gonna go put on a Chopin etude in his honor.

Or maybe Liszt. Yes, I think for Antal I'll go with Liszt. He would have liked that.
Here Here. Play one for ol' Antal...
Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

I played the "Revolutionary Etude" by Chopin and shared a moment with Antal's memory. His Polish roots would have had nothing else.

It's true that he held Liszt as a greater virtuoso, but his nationalistic tendencies were with Chopin. If they played that rousing track when the Germans were invading in WWII, then I guess it was good enough for the piano virtuoso as he bade his sweet farewell to us here on this plane.

Still and all, the world will never see another Chopin or Liszt or Goldi. And for that, the rest of us can only express our gratitude and sorrow.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
XERXES
Diamond Member

I remember sitting on his porch in the late 90's after he had just gotten out of the navy and had just taken the job as the school secretary- we would sip wine and laugh for hours...we would talk about life, kids, politics, the old country...but inevitably the conversation always came back to his deep love for Chopin.

I miss him so much.

Last edited by XERXES; 02-09-2006 at 11:50 PM.
XERXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

You knew him better than I did, Rex. I only admired him from afar. But the fond way you speak of him only solidifies the strong feelings I have.

They don't make 'em anymore like they made Antal. The guy was a one of a kind.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #18
XERXES
Diamond Member

(My eyes filled with tears of joy and sadness upon reading your kind words, Chumdawg...I've got to collect myself...I can't bring myself to speak outside of parentheses...)
Old 02-10-2006, 02:13 AM   #19
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

happy birthday dude.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

Rex, I know it must be hard for you. Think of his daughters, man. Think of Inez and Supra.

They need your strength.

Last edited by chumdawg; 02-10-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #21
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Never had the world seen such genius as good ol' Anty, and it is arguable it'll never see another such. A man whose simplicity could easily cause foolish strangers who knew no better to think of him as being no more than a bag boy at the local Publix (the profession he practiced to put food on the table in order to survive in a world entirely too ignorant to appreciate the mind of a man who thought not with words found in any dialect, but musical notes instead).

Yet this seemingly simple man's eyes grew big, his voice gained volume every time the conversation steered to the side of music. His knowledge and passion would not allow him to speak of this subject passively, and he became lively, eager to share his seemingly infinite knowledge on the topic. Music and Antal became one, and that was before he ever sat in front of the piano.

It is truly a great loss to the musical world, the death of this underappreciated master, pioneer, innovator of music. This musical prodigy's skills in front of a piano endeared him to all.......... even the homophobic.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #22
OzMavs
Platinum Member

I'm going to send his family the meat tray, from the Lounge Lizard bar Friday night meat tray raffle. I saw reports that his family wasn't doing too well after his death. Like many a genius, he died before the public at large could recognise his talents, I'm sorry for musics loss.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #23
XERXES
Diamond Member

If you raise a glass today...raise it for Inez and Supra.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I get all misty eyed thinking about it. Although I wasn't close to Antal... I did know Inez's 2nd cousin's third best friends mothers Grandmother's florist Norm.... and Norm is not doing too well. He cried so much the other day the Daisies wilted.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #25
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

U2 small world, I didn't know you knew Norm......cool.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #26
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Well..... it's that time of the year again when we can all get misty eyed again remembering the poster that was a good friend to all.

I have to go now, my coffee is all watered down from all of the tears flowing into it.

Happy would have been b-day dude.....

edit: I called him dude... but that was off base. Happy Birthday to God's pianist.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 02-07-2007 at 09:44 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is highly confusing.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

I've been thinking a lot about Antal the last couple weeks. In so many ways he really represented the spirit of us all. All I can hope is that Antal III and Inez and Supra are getting along well. It is a crime against nature that they were orphaned so young.

Antal, you left us all way too early, my friend. Thank God you did leave us the music...
Old 02-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #29
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Around 24 out of the 28 posts in here are pure comedic genius. All this thread needs is an appearance by Antal himself -- or at the least, his son. ; )
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
This thread is highly confusing.
I agree. I love inside jokes...when I'm on the inside.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #31
OzMavs
Platinum Member

When I think about Antal, I touch myself.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #32
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

this thread is making me have to poop.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #33
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Happy Happy!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote