Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #41
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Okay there two ways to go for me now.

One option would be to apply for ALL the California State Universities through a pretty complicated program offered by the state I live in. I could name one or two places I'd never want to go, but they would place me in one of the other universities. That way I could end up in San Diego, San Francisco, but also in little villages like San Marcos.

The other option would be to apply through my university, but that would limit my options and I'd have to name a 1. a 2. a 3. and a 4. option and then they'd put me in one of those. If I did it that way my list would look like that:

1. Chapman University, Orange County, California - It's a nice place, the university has a good reputation, it's not too big, not too small and it's 10 minutes from the beach.

2. San Diego State University, California - It's a beautiful place and if it were not for the approximately 200 German exchange students that are currently staying there and living in small German communities, it might be my number one option.

3. Texas Tech University - It's a beautiful campus, it has that college feeling to it and I heard and saw (from something that was send to me via PM...) that the girls are pretty beautiful, plus they'll open up a new state of the art business administration center when I will get there.

4. New Haven University - It has nice courses, it's close to NY, it's a good starting point for all kind of traveling.

What do you guys say, what would you do? Option a) for the sake of being in California for sure, or option b) and if so, how would you rank that list?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #42
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

People dogging Lubbock in this thread probably haven't been there in years or ever at all. In the last 10 years, the place has changed dramatically. Lots of new development, the local economy is very strong even in this messed up time but yet, there is still no traffic. I am a Tech grad, and my wife is from the LBK, so I spend a lot of time there. It is an absolutely great place with some of the friendliest people on earth and we like it so much that we might actually move there in a few years to raise our children.

Texas Tech is a still young, but ever-growing university and you couldn't go wrong there. Plus, you want fun? Go to a football game...the crowd will blow your mind. And the women at the school are unreal. Basically, I couldn't give you one reason why not to go to Tech.

I began my college life at another school in the Big XII (a&m) which I left because I just didn't fit in with the culture. I had a bunch of friends extolling the greatness of Tech plus my girlfriend was there, so I transferred. Best decision of my life.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

In general, the quality of people that you'd find out in either of the areas listed in California is well below what you'd find at Lubbock.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #44
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Drive for 3 hours in any direction from Lubbock and what do you get?
Drive for 3 hours from San Diego or from Orange and what do you get?
Heck, you can drive for 20 minutes from either of those CA spots and get more varied experience than you can within a 3 hour drive from Lubbock.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.... I'm sure. But stay where you're at in Lubbock and you get a hell of alot more than you get out of either of those two areas.

I suppose San Diego isn't that bad. Sure, visually, it's a nice place. But I don't care for the people at all
\
...but I have no interest in the Orange County area at all.. .zero.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #46
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Yep.... I'm sure. But stay where you're at in Lubbock and you get a hell of alot more than you get out of either of those two areas.

I suppose San Diego isn't that bad. Sure, visually, it's a nice place. But I don't care for the people at all
\
...but I have no interest in the Orange County area at all.. .zero.
well, if he's going to judge by stereotype, then he's screwed either way.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about the school but I can relate a story a friend told me recently.

His son (about 19) or so had been going to school around St. Louis close to where his ma lived. He wasn't doing well and dropped out, got a real job. Decided that working at the local WalMart wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

So my friend who was footing the bills told him that he'd resume footing the bills for school if he left St. Louis and attended someplace in Texas.

So they went on a tour of the schools. TexasTech, UTAustin, UTNorthTexas(Denton), UTSanMarcus I believe.

Anyway after touring them all the Kid has decided on TTech. I think the main deal was how friendly the place was and how welcoming they were to him. Everyone was very proud of the school...took a lot of time to show him around..etc. Just seemed glad to see him.

My friend said the young ladies were flat out goregous, if that is something you are interested in.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

A friend of mine played football for Colorado... He brought some friends home one time.. they were blown away by the quality of women in the DFW area.. especially the Fort Worth area... It's even better in Lubbock.. Everywhere you look, there's beautifly women..

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-22-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #49
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
A friend of mine played football for Colorado... He brought some friends home one time.. they were blown away by the quality of women in the DFW area.. especially the Fort Worth area... It's even better in Lubbock.. Everywhere you look, there's beautifly women..
Can anybody tell me something about the climate in Lubbock from August to February?

I really like what you guys have to say about Texas Tech and the people there, I'm sure I would feel very good over there. The only thing keeping it from the #1 spot on my list is that I really love California and would love to travel California with my friends who would go to universities near me if I were to go to California. Plus, I could fly in some friends and do even more fun stuff with them. - That can't be said about Texas Tech, right?

Texas Tech would be the cheaper solution, I guess? I probably wouldn't need a car. Housing is cheaper, etc. Plus, I am into those Texas Tech girls... :-)

Update: Okay, never mind about the climate. Already found out that it's pretty mild over there in Lubbock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubbock...hy_and_climate

I even checked out Orange County (for Chapman): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_California#Climate and San Diego: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego#Climate

I'm beginning to get crazy about this. I think I'm just gonna go with this list and let those guys at the university decide for me:

1. Chapman University
2. San Diego State University
3. Texas Tech University
4. New Haven University

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 11-22-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

Seriously, have you been to New Haven? I have a relative that coached one of their sports teams for several years. I'd rather not say which sport for obvious reasons... Anyways, I couldn't stand the place.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #51
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Seriously, have you been to New Haven? I have a relative that coached one of their sports teams for several years. I'd rather not say which sport for obvious reasons... Anyways, I couldn't stand the place.
Okay out of these which one would you then chose as your fourth option?

Bowling Green/Western Kentucky
Flint/Michigan
Kutztown/Pennsylvania
New Haven/Connecticut
Valparaiso/Indiana

Last edited by Arne; 11-23-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #52
Arne
Golden Member

The decision is finally in... I'm going to SAN DIEGO!

I'm really looking forward to this... Thanks for all your advise, anyways!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #53
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Arne, I hope you have a good time.

I have a friend in the Navy who recently moved to San Diego. He absolutely loves it.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-13-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #54
Arne
Golden Member

Is there anybody with some San Diego or San Diego State University experience on this board?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #55
Murphy3
Guru

The weather's nice..the people suck. Have fun.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #56
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

How hard is it to get accepted into Texas Tech as a transfer student? I have it as my second option of universities i want to go to.