Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of
Default 24

Welcome to D-6!!
I felt it was my duty to start this season off because this is the only show on TV that I watch at whatever cost. I do enjoy other T.V shows but I can usually miss them w/o feeling like I missed a day in school when everyone went on a field trip. You know that feeling. Anyway, this is gonna be a great season. I would have preferred a prison break but it doesn't look like that is the opening concept the creators had in mind. More or less looks like Jack serves his time in hell and is reborn. So far, D-2 has been my favorite opening night. With D-4 a close second. Enjoy!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ready.

I've been ready.

I hate this January start crap. but it's so worth it when you get the 4 hour payoff in 2 nights to start things off.

Jacks back
Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I love the idiot T.V. stations that plan stuff on opening night of 24.

The Golden Globes - they don't have a chance.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I guess Flaco and Nemesis are the only ones interested in 24??
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Has the timeline only progressed 6 days? Hasn't it been out multiple seasons? Dang those are some long days.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Count me in Nemie. It's the only show I race home for - even with Tivo.

Fluid:
1 episode = 1 hour.
24 hrs = 1 day.
5 days completed.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Will Jack eat or go to the bathroom this season?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Will Jack eat or go to the bathroom this season?
Wouldn't that burn like 1.5 episodes?

Has he taken a shower in 5 days?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Jack Bauer is an immortal being that doesn't need to do any of those things.

I highly recommend this show to anyone, btw. You don't need to have watched from the first season(though it helps), but if you do jump in you do need to jump in at the beginning of the season.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Jack Bauer is an immortal being that doesn't need to do any of those things.

I highly recommend this show to anyone, btw. You don't need to have watched from the first season(though it helps), but if you do jump in you do need to jump in at the beginning of the season.
I totally agree. My wife and I started watching 24 when season 4 started. It is the opening episodes that really get you. If you don't see those then you might as well wait for "another day" hehe
Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I started on Day 3..then went back and watched the first two seasons. The show kicks ass. Last season was by no means the best, but it was still pretty damn good.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Personally, I liked day 3 the best. Though I thought 5 was very excellent.

Hell, I like them all. But if you re-watch season 1, I think theres a clear difference in the writing.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Dang it... dang dang dang dang dang it.....

I don't need another show.... Lost and Heroes are enough for me....

but this thread has me intrigued.

I'm scared of watching and getting either confused (because I haven't seen the other days) or hooked to the point I want to see the other seasons. I won't invest that much time in it.

Are you SURE if I watch starting now I won't be a confused SOB?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

u2.... this is the ultimate show for guys.

Guns, bombs, killing, puzzles, deception, and one bad ass M-Fer named Jack Bauer.

I think the show is such that if you start now, the amount of stuff going on will keep you intrigued. I didnt want to start, and then I watched the first 4 episodes of one day, and that was the end of it. Im hooked.

The only thing you really need to know to start off this season is that Jack has a hard life, and at the end of the last season, the Chinese government was pissed off at him, kidnapped him and took him to China.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in Day 1, they didn't know how many episodes to shoot because they didn't know whether or not the show would be picked up long term. So, there was some obvious scrambing once the show was picked up for the remainder of the season.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
Nemesis
Diamond Member

U2, if you have Netflix or Blockbuster, etc... Just start ordering those DVD's for Seasons 1-5. You can watch them during the week while you are waiting for each episode of Season 6.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:25 AM   #17
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I'm scared of watching and getting either confused (because I haven't seen the other days) or hooked to the point I want to see the other seasons. I won't invest that much time in it.

Are you SURE if I watch starting now I won't be a confused SOB?
Nah, they killed off all the non-annoying characters not named Jack in Day 5. I don't like Chloe and I don't like Audrey. Ugh.

I don't think they will, but if the writers ever carry out their threat and kill off Jack, I will quit watching the show. Who wouldn't?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Chloe is supposed to be annoying. That's her character and role. Yes, she has issues but her loyalty to Jack is why she hasn't been killed off yet.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Yes, chloe is supposed to be annoying. That's the problem. We deal with annoying people every day in real life. Why do we have to deal with the most annoying person in the history of ever on such a great show? At times, she almost makes me want to mute the TV.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

So how did Jack grow such a long beard in just a "day"
Old 01-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
So how did Jack grow such a long beard in just a "day"
According to an article in the DMN this morning it's been 2 years in 24 time since last season. If what the article said is true it sounds really stupid.... supposedly the US secured his release from the Chinese, but only if Jack "sacrifices" his life.

Uhhhhh, why wouldn't the Chinese just kill him?

I admit I don't get it because I've never seen the show. But the DMN article left me not very intrigued.

I'm going to give it a shot I think..... too many people in this thread with opinions I respect not to.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Well, I think they mentioned at some point in a previous season that they weren't going to kill Jack. They were going to ship him off to some prison camp that was supposed to be worse than death. And perhaps the Chinese aren't that inhumane.. Maybe they don't believe in just killing people for the fun of it. Torture is so much more enjoyable.

How his release was secured..well, I suppose we'll have to wait and see. But, this season is getting unbelievable reviews.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-14-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

So really this is day 700something?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #24
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
So really this is day 700something?
Fluid, give it up....hehe.. you just don't get it.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #25
Nemesis
Diamond Member

When THE "24" hours actually occurs, it means that there exists a catastropic crisis of epic proportions that the Counter Terrorist Unit must asses, gather intel, rally the troops, and basically CALL Jack BAUR! in order to stop it in that 24 hour time frame. Each season is just one day but after that day has occured it goes back to fake time, where the writers can do whatever they want with the time frame. Sometimes it is 2 years, sometimes 1 year, I believe 3 years is the longest b/w "catastrophic events" desribed above.

I hope that explains it, Fluid.

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-14-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #26
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Another thing that needs to be said.. Since D-3, in particular D-4 and D-5, there have been a broader range of catastrophes that Jack and CTU has had to stop. I don't expect D-6 to be any different. If you are lucky enough to see the first three 24 hour days, you will find that there is ONE major thing that must be stopped. So the writing has evolved. It took some getting used to last season but I ended up enjoying it more. This is the order I watched them in 4, 1, 2, 3, 5.. so I really had to think about season 4 has alot of different objectives but there is always one big thing that must be done. I am rambling b/c I am excited right now. I am ordering out for Cheddar's..

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-14-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

God I love Cheddars
Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #28
Nemesis
Diamond Member

World Class Cheeseburger!

Cookie Monster!!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #29
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

that was pretty good. I hadn't watched much of the series except for half the first season, and a couple episodes last season. I thought I'd get in on the first episode this season. I don't feel too lost at this point (stab a guy in the knee to make him talk . . . not too hard to follow). And it looks pretty cool (stab a guy in the knee to make him talk . . . not hard to like)

2 more hours tonight? oh, but the Golden Globe (let's see . . . witty speeches and high fashion or knee stabbing?).

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 01-15-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #30
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

oh, and I thought the John Mccain thing was pretty funny. Is that guy deadpan or just dead?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Last night's episode was good, but they had to do alot of set-up. From what I hear, tonight's episode is supposed to be absolutely amazing.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #32
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

the headline at drudgereport is about whether or not they are going to go nuclear on 24
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Good stuff last night. I bet it picks up a bit tonight.

What's up with the presidents sister?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #34
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Great start.. I agree with Murphy. Last night was a setup and they had to do alot of it. The writers do a perfect job of moving things along. That could have easily dragged out w/ to much of what would seem to be relevant information. This is 24, not 700.

The only part I had trouble swallowing (no pun intended) was when Jack went Hannibal Lecter on that random terrorist. I guess that was the only way but it was little beyond Jack's character. Then I reasoned it by saying, well he hasn't spoken or probably had a good meal in 2.5 years! Some people like their steaks rare.. Jack likes his right off the bone.

Last edited by Nemesis; 01-15-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #35
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah that was pretty uncomfortable. but not any more than cutting off that dudes head to start season 2.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #36
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah that was pretty uncomfortable. but not any more than cutting off that dudes head to start season 2.
Still my favorite all time Jack going off moment.

The following is a spoiler for D-2 in so many words.

Jack - "So you raped & murdered 13 year old children?"

Piss-ant - "Yes, and I am gonna get away with it."

(Piss-ant shot dead by Jack by bullet to the chest)

Jack - "Hmmmm, get me a hack-saw!"
Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #37
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

U2: They secured Jack's release in order to use him in an "exchange" (not exactly a prisoner exchange). It's not like Jack has any choice in the matter, though his former colleagues treated him like they did... and that's why he didn't resist and escape. It's a wonderful show.

UL: What are you talking about with John McCain? Did I miss something crucial?

Nemesis: When I saw the Hannibal move, you know the first thought in my mind? "Yes! Brilliant move to use his teeth as a weapon! I'll have to remember that if I'm ever held hostage!" Since I can see myself doing that (I just have strong survival instincts - not a taste for blood), then I think the Jack character can definitely handle it. I cannot see myself cutting a guy's head off though (Flaco). Hope it would never come to that!

(Hope no one thinks I'm a freak now.)
Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #38
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
I cannot see myself cutting a guy's head off though (Flaco). Hope it would never come to that!

(Hope no one thinks I'm a freak now.)
Smiles, the difference is they didn't actually show Jack cutting his head off. On the other hand, we got to see 2 or 3 different angles of Jack going for the juggler.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

If it's a life and death situation AND he had vital info that could save American lives, I don't see why the whole jugular thing would be such a surprise.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #40
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
u talking about with John McCain? Did I miss something crucial?
Not crucial. Last night (between hours?) they had a little promo of famous people talking about 24. John McCain described how he and Jack are so similar: "He's always getting captured. I got captured. He's always escaping. I never escaped. I believe in the geneva conventions. He just blows their kneecaps off." McCain's delivery was about as dry as could be. His eyes were in a blank stare, and the only movement I saw at all was slight shrug when he said, "He just blows their kneecaps off."

Tags
jack bauer pwns yer face