Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold
Default Sirius XM Can Go F*** Themselves

They dropped almost all of the channels I ever listen to: Disorder, Boombox, Left of Center, Vault, Backspin... God knows how they kept Underground Garage on the air. My first reaction is to cancel immediately. I suppose I'll give them one week. But that's all they are getting!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10094816-47.html

Sirius gets serious, reshuffles lineup, cuts DJs
Posted by Steve Guttenberg

As a Sirius Satellite Radio subscriber, I received an e-mail on Wednesday "Announcing The New Sirius Channel Lineup" that confirmed my worst fears about the Sirius-XM merger.

That is, the inevitable cost savings would impact me personally. My favorite music channel, Sirius Disorder, is history, replaced with the near DJ-less The Loft. It seems rather bland, and I really do miss Disorder's morning guy, Ghosty, as well as afternoon host Meg Griffin.

Hey, Sirius has to keep forking over those hefty paychecks to Howard Stern, and somebody has to pay for it.

There's a lot more changes across the range of programming, and some great XM channels are now on Sirius.

If you're not getting the new lineup, or you're a little dazed and confused, here's how Sirius recommends catching up:

Please note that when you turn on your radio for the first time on or after November 12, it may need 2 (to) 5 minutes to receive the update from our satellites.

During this time, the audio you hear may not match what is shown on your display, and you may see messages such as "updating channels." While the radio updates, please do not change channels, as this will delay the update.

I know it's still early, and we are just starting to grasp the changes, but I'd love to hear Sirius and XM subscribers' views on the shake-up. Is it good for you? BTW, the Sirius-XM stock is now 25 cents (down from a 52-week high of $3.94), so please remind me why the merger was such a great idea.

Oh, anybody know if Howard Stern still has any stock? He was such a big booster of Sirius, wasn't he?
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

They cut alot of the good channels on XM too.

If you liked Left of Center, the channel Sirius XM U plays the same music. They Cut XMs version of Backspin also.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I only listen to the Foxxhole so i'm fine with the merger.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Underground Garage stayed on thanks to the same folks at Sirius who saw fit to create an E Street channel, being that Steve Van Zandt of UG is in the E Street Band...

Personally, I've liked Sirius over XM last few years anyway. One of my friends has Sirius and I can always find something good.. had XM in a rental car a couple weeks ago and it was putrid.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

How was this not considered a monopolizing move?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I see the term monopoly is thrown around too often, Kirobaito. Satellite Radio is a luxury, and one of the easiest to do without services I can think of. Seeing as they were both probably not doing very well fiscally, I imagine the government allowed the merger to probably keep both of them from going under.

A friend of mine has Sirius and he used to listen to Maxim Radio quite often and he just found out the vast majority of the staff has been let go, and the only people left on it are Covino and Rich, which are a favorite, but still......
Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
How was this not considered a monopolizing move?
They still have to compete with terrestial radio.

The merger probably sucks for people that actually listened to music, since some stations are being eliminated.

I'm thinking of signing up for the "news talk radio" package or whatever..its only 9.99 per month - and right now I'm paying 14.99.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 11-13-2008 at 11:30 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

they've got an all Led Zeppelin channel now....lot's of good deepcuts, How Many More Times?, The Lemmon Song, That's the Way, Nuh Nuh Nuh NO--nobody's fault but mine....

I'm happy as a pig in stuff.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
they've got an all Led Zeppelin channel now....lot's of good deepcuts, How Many More Times?, The Lemmon Song, That's the Way, Nuh Nuh Nuh NO--nobody's fault but mine....

I'm happy as a pig in stuff.
meh. Sirius subscribers already had that. And I hate to burst your bubble, but it's temporary. Sirius always runs a band dedicated channel for a few months before switching over to a new one. I've lived through the Who, the Grateful Dead, Elvis, the Rolling Stones. Enjoy Led Zepplin while it lasts.

I'm still trying to figure out how this is good for me. I haven't been able to find one new channel that adds value.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

yeah...well anyway, just got through with a long-ass tour of w. texas, and having a dedicated led zep channel for that trip was just about worth the price of admission by itself.