Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all
Default Fellow Dtownians

Texas is great. But my friend still says many negative things about it. He is here over for the xmas break and I want to treat him to some great ma and pa hole in the wall food joints for this week. (Gah my wallet)

Anyways you texan natives...recommend me some places around the dallas-garland-richardson area. Provide the following please

Name, address, rating, short story

Thank you and have a great holiday ya'll!
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Momma's Daughter's Diner
2610 Royal Ln
Dallas, TX 75229
(972) 241-8646‎

Eat the Pie. If you don't like Pie go somewhere else. But this place has the best Pie. The food is good, but nothing sets it apart - outside of the fact that the Pies reside on the same menu.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

1) Where's he from?
2) Any specific cuisine you are looking for?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sonnybryans.com/restaurants_inwood.aspx

The original. I guess it's not ma and pa anymore...but if you go here, you'll definitely see why it appears that way...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 12-23-2008 at 01:11 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Thanks guys. My friend is from Shreveport Louisiana. He likes spicey cajun foods especially when it involves shrimps or ribs.
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

http://www.babeschicken.com/ best fried chicken and chicken fried steak around.

http://www.chuys.com/ real texican, although it's hard to not just go with https://www.elfenix.com/ it's good, reliable and fairly cheap (esp enchilada wednesdays).
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

What´s the difference between an Enchilada and a Taco ? They look nearly similar.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

tradition is that an enchilada is covered with chile sauce while the taco is not, the taco is eaten by hand. that has changed a bit, and now menus have soft (as opposed to crispy) tacos typically with a cheese sauce (queso) on the taco and definitely not eaten by hand, which is very similar to an enchilada.. .
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are a couple of cajun joints that are pretty close.

Boudreaux's Cajun. Campbell at 75. It's a chain and just opened. Has 2.00 pints happy hour until 9:00pm I believe.

Also
The Big Easy - (this one is very nice, new orleans food..good stuff..better than Pappadeux's or Boudreaux's imo. Seems very new orleans home cooking.)
http://www.bigeasyplano.com/
Big Easy is located at 1915 N. Central Expressway, Suite 200, in Plano. The restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday through Thursday; from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday. For more information, call 972-424-5261.

For home cooking southern style:
The String Bean
(972) 385-3287
7879 Spring Valley Rd
Ste 115
Dallas, TX 75254 valid

A small mom and pop place
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Babe's Garland, Texas

Address, Hours of Operation, and Directions Address:
1456 Beltline Road,
Suite 171
Garland, Texas 75044

Based on your locations, Babe's would be a pretty cool off the wall place. They do Fried Chicken family style...

Not your 5 star, but it's also not bad on the pocket book.

You also mentioned Hole in the wall...and this sort of fits that description.

Otherwise if you want some good Italian and you willing to head over to Rockwall, there is a place called Luigi's...

From my neck of the woods, we take Lakeview Parkway (the old 66) across the lake into Rockwall, take a right at the light by the police station (I forget the name) go towards I-30...when the road turns into a Y, (Near the Sonic) follow the left side of the Y...keep heading towards I-30. You will see a Braums on your right, go past the light and then on your right you will see Luigi's!!!

Great place!!!

Let me know if you want to find any other specific foods or styles...I tend to eat out in the area spending a few hundred bucks a month on dining out and I live out in the Rowlett area.

Speaking of which, there is this little German place on 66 and Rowlett road over by the Braums...I have not ate there...if anyone else has, can you give a review of the place? I've been thinking about trying it...wondering if it will measure up anywhere close to when I was stationed in Bamberg Germany?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
tradition is that an enchilada is covered with chile sauce while the taco is not, the taco is eaten by hand. that has changed a bit, and now menus have soft (as opposed to crispy) tacos typically with a cheese sauce (queso) on the taco and definitely not eaten by hand, which is very similar to an enchilada.. .
And it looks like an enchilada sometimes comes out of the oven.

Yum.

And +rep