Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default Mavs Fuel 1st-Week Knee-Jerks - Fish

Hey Murph you should like this one:

Nuclear Reactions
Mavs Fuel 1st-Week Knee-Jerks

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The top three media overreactions to the first-week Mavs, including the Spurs’ inferiority and. … Nellie’s forthcoming firing?!
OVERREACTION 1: “I, MAX’’ SAYS DALLAS IS TOPS: “I, Max’’ is Fox Sports Net’s answer to Jim Rome, with the one-time wunderkind Max Kellerman wearing a goatee and spouting off outrageously while attempting to channel Romey.
Unfortunately for Max, he instead comes across as a baby-faced Skip Bayless, with opinions that scream “Look at me, I’m controversial!’’
Maybe the credibility gap is why nobody but me noticed that this week, Max went on national TV and proclaimed the Mavs the best team in basketball, specifically insisting Dallas is superior to San Antonio.
Is Max jumping the gun a bit? Um, yeah, especially considering that it appeared as if he taped the show before Game 2. Meaning he was ready to anoint the Mavs after they’d played four quarters. … and to dismiss the West favorite Spurs after they’d played. … no quarters.
It is notable that while Dallas was impressive in pounding visiting Sacramento, San Antonio was no less impressive a day later in doing the exact same thing to the exact same opponent.
OVERREACTION 2: NELLIE TO THE NETWORK: The Dallas Morning News’ sports-media writer, Barry Horn, is one of the best in the business, so this was very much beneath him. But in an attempt to put some sort of locally-interesting flavor in his this week’s NBA-coverage-themed column, he decided to create a ridiculous scenario that would see Nellie get fired by Mark Cuban in December and thus allow Nellie to be the color analyst for ABC’s big Lakers-Heat Christmas Day game.
Want me to run that by you again?
Horn writes, “Imagine Don Nelson sitting alongside Al Michaels when the 2004-05 NBA season debuts on ABC come Christmas Day. … (ABC) has a penchant for hiring freshly fired coaches. … What better Christmas present for the network than a timely firing of a high profile, colorful ex-coach, not afraid to speak his mind?’’
Um, want me to run that by you again? Or have you had enough?
There are a few problems with this scenario. One, does anybody really believe that Dallas will be so awful that Mark Cuban will knee-jerk like crazy and make a coaching change within the next 45 days? Two, do outsiders really not understand that even with that sort of disaster, Nellie is likely to remain part of the Mavs family? Three, is ABC planning on moving all its nationally televised games to Maui (which is the only place you’ll find Nellie once he leaves the NBA)?
And finally, when are the overreactors going to understand that Nellie is chumpin’ ‘em?
“Nellie really is good at that, playing the media the way he does,’’ Cuban tells DB.com. “And most of the guys fall for the same trick, over and over again. It’s funny. Good for Nellie, because he gets a kick out of it, and so do I. But Nellie isn’t going anywhere.’’
OVERREACTION 3: COMING RIGHT UP: Well, it hasn’t happened yet. But just wait ‘til the Mavs lose their first game. Then you’re likely to see an overreaction that tops even the ridiculousness of Nos. 1 and 2

orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs Fuel 1st-Week Knee-Jerks - Fish

Barry Horn "one of the best in the business"? I almost lost my lunch when I read that. Well, I probaby would have had I eaten lunch.

Thank goodness I didn't.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default RE:Mavs Fuel 1st-Week Knee-Jerks - Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Barry Horn "one of the best in the business"? I almost lost my lunch when I read that. Well, I probaby would have had I eaten lunch.

Thank goodness I didn't.
I hear you bro
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

skip bayless was my favorite sports writer growing up.

sad isn't it?

My next favorite was frank luska, with an emphasis on was. Got to love the old school herald writers.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

I watch I,Max all the time and Max never said Mavs were tops. Michael Holly was the Mav supporter stating that the Mavs were DEEPER, key word he never said better he said DEEPER, than the Spurs.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Fish is a crappy and misleading writer. Lord is the only person worth reading on that site in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
I watch I,Max all the time and Max never said Mavs were tops. Michael Holly was the Mav supporter stating that the Mavs were DEEPER, key word he never said better he said DEEPER, than the Spurs.
Even if he did say the Mavs were better, why would it be jumping the gun? Sporting News, SI, ESPN all rank teams even before preseason starts.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: JLEEHASMUCHGAME

sad isn't it?

My next favorite was frank luska, with an emphasis on was. Got to love the old school herald writers.
I hear ya. I used to subscribe to the Herald just to read Bayless.

There have been some very good beat writers for the DMN over the last ten years or so, but outside of Luksa the columnists have absolutely sucked. I can't even read a Cowlishaw anymore. I seriously can't. And I stopped reading Blackistone even before Cowlishaw.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:47 AM   #10
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Quote:
Originally posted by: JLEEHASMUCHGAME

sad isn't it?

I hear ya. I used to subscribe to the Herald just to read Bayless.

There have been some very good beat writers for the DMN over the last ten years or so, but outside of Luksa the columnists have absolutely sucked. I can't even read a Cowlishaw anymore. I seriously can't. And I stopped reading Blackistone even before Cowlishaw.

cool... It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I remember convincing my family to subscribe to the herald over the dmn just for the sports section. It wasn't really difficult because my dad loves sports as well. I also remember being unhappy about the discontinuation of the herald, but luska coming over to dmn helped me get over it a little bit. However, I thought bayless was as good or better than luska at the time so there were many times I wished he was also writing for dmn. I brought this thing up because I just read a recent bayless article over at espn about terrell owens. Pretty fiery with his views these days -- I don't recall if that was his style back when -- but at least he predicted rightly that the eagles would fall this week!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 06:43 AM   #11
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I read Bayless also. But i thought he was a major contributing factor to the demise of the Dallas Times-Herald.

Why? Because every day, he would try to find something negative to write about, and whine whine whine. If he couldnt find something valid, he would make it up. Since it was his "opinion" it didnt matter if it was valid supposedly.

But, did it? I think it did.

I dont go to the newspaper to see some half-wit rag on my local team. They dont have to always paint rosy pics - but heck, I want to feel good about the teams I cheer for. So it became more and more of a drag to read, cause every day, he was trying to dig up more and more negatives on the local boys. The more shrill he became, the worse their circulation numbers got. How would you like it today if the Dallas Morning News sports section featured a Philly Eagles loudmouth, and a Lakers loudmouth, taking potshots at our boys daily - on your nickel, as a subscriber?

My opinion? I think other readers also got turned off in droves, and went to the competition. To attract attention to the dying rag, Bayless tried to become even MORE "controversial" (hard-hitting would have been HIS term no doubt, but jerk-like was how I saw it) and I bet it kept turning off more and more. If you cant read the paper and get fun out of what is supposed to be the fun section (sports), why bother?

He drove a great paper into the grave. He never wised up. And still hasnt.

Thats my view.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

Poindexter, you may be right, but I don't recall bayless being that negative of a writer. I'm not sure what time frame I read the herald, but perhaps, it was when the cowboys were either so bad it didn't matter he was bashing them, or when the cowboys were so good it didn't matter. Also, I could have been too young.

oh and um, just to stay on topic, I agree with max kellerman that the mavs are better than the spurs!