Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #1
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough
Default Funny comment about Nellie in Phil Jackson's book

"Up here in the clouds, I'm still savoring the victory, although there is one tiny dark cloud on the horizon. Karl, I'm certain, will be suspended for an incident involving Steve Nash. Early in the third quarter, trying to knock a rebound out of Karl's hands, Nash was met with an elbow to the chops. I leaped off the bench immediately, which for me in a regular season contest is about as frequent an occurence as a Shaquille three pointer. I was screaming for a foul on Nash, so when the official called it on Karl, I picked up a technical foul, my second of the year, normally about my limit for an entire season. I used to acquire Ts more routinely but then it dawned on me that all I was doing was giving free points to the opposition. Sure, maybe you'll get a call later in the game, and I can see occasions when a technical may send a message to your team, but there's a manipulative aspect to such outbursts that offend an old-fashioned purist like myself. I will argue for calls that should have gone our way, but there is a line that I will not cross. The game, whatever else, it may signify, is just that a game. Many coaches adopt a much different view. Nellie, for instance, when his team was stinking up the joint used to tell the refs: "Throw me out of this game, I'm going to call you a c***sucker and a motherf*****. Now throw me out, I can't stand my team." The refs didn't always submit. "I'm not throwing you out," one might say. "You're going to have to watch this s*** yourself." Nellie would still find a way to get thrown out, jump in a cab, and be in his hotel room before the game was over."
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Funny comment about Nellie in Phil Jackson's book

when Karl Malone elboed Nash hard enough to kill the root of one of his teeth, Jack-zen wanted a foul on Nash?!?

Pretty harsh criticism of Nelson coming directly after a statement of stupidity like that Malone thing.

"Nash was met with an elbow to the chops" nice use of passive tense. Say that Malone was dirty as he always has been.

Anyway, that excerpt makes Nelson sound even more imbalanced than I've ever heard. If its true, Im certainly glad that we picked up Avery Johnson to balance out the leadership. If it isnt true, then Jackson has a lot o' 'splainin' ta do.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
TheBenger

TheBenger is on a distinguished road

Would you leave many games if you had either Jordan or Shaq on your team your entire coaching career? Talk about polar opposites. I am starting to wonder if there really is a person named Charley Rosen, if that is just Phil's pen name. Or did Rosen ghost write this book?
TheBenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Funny comment about Nellie in Phil Jackson's book

The bit about Nellie doesn't surprise me. I've known he tries to get himself thrown out of games sometimes. The bit about the Malone/Nash incident, however, disgusts me.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Phil dares to attack the methods of Norman Dale? I don't see Phil with any Indiana High School state championships.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:32 AM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

technically it is a foul when you are bodying someone who had just grabbed a rebound no? i was always taught to hold the ball up high with your elbows out while playing in the post.. im not saying karl malone is not a dirty player because he definitely is, but if anything that should not have been a foul on karl or at least should have been a no call=\

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:36 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It was a foul when he took that elbow and purposely swung it into Steve Nash' jaw. He didnt get the foul on the rebound. Jackson was complaining about the foul when he knocked Nash' tooth loose after he rebounded.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:42 AM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

okay, purposely elbowing someone while trying to create space for yourself (malone, barkley) is definitely a foul.. but traitor shouldnt have been there in the first place? no i am not defending karl or phil just to make myself clear =]

Contact Me
Old 11-14-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
alby
Guru

btw, u need to switch out booth's face and replace it with hendu's in your picture =p

Contact Me
Old 11-14-2004, 03:02 AM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
btw, u need to switch out booth's face and replace it with hendu's in your picture =p
last time I checked, it wasnt a public picture. It's a picture that I made that is on my signature. Sorry if its offending you.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:09 AM   #11
alby
Guru

wow, it was a joke.. about how we traded for booth and he isnt even playing and we thought that the injury-riddled, over the hill henderson was done and was just another name in the JET trade.. but im sorry to offend you, my bad lol..

Contact Me
Old 11-14-2004, 03:10 AM   #12
alby
Guru

wow.

Contact Me
Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 AM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

About the Nash foul - I've seen the same play happen before with a player crowding a rebounder and getting elbowed and if IRC, the correct call would have been a foul on Nash and a double technical on Malone.

I think you have to allow a rebounder space to turn around, but any elbow/face contact is supposed to be an automatic ejection. Phil's not completely wrong - but not completely right either.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #14
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

alby, i agree, wow...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #15
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
last time I checked, it wasnt a public picture. It's a picture that I made that is on my signature. Sorry if its offending you.
whoa..easy there..

did you not see the =p at the end??
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:29 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Doesn't suprise me. Nellie knows when he gets ejected and the Mavs are down their chances of winning are better than when he is in the game coaching. Nellie only does when the Mavs are playing horrible and the game looks like a reach.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #17
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

erica, don't be such a (edited by a Dallas-Mavs.com moderator).
Old 11-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #18
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

i think it's funny, personally.
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #19
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

end don't you know? She owns this website and you are on her turf! You better recognize beeyotch!