Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road
Default bring on the pick and roll

has anyone else noticed that nash and dirk or anyone on this team dont do this anymore??? when dirk comes back they must do this if they want to win. this worked so effectively last year. just because you have 5 scorers dosnt mean that all 5 have to score. especially walker. walker must have 6-7 shots and that is IT. keep rebounding and passing and the mavs will be just fine. o and jamison dunking instead of doing layups would help too. him and finley can junmp over a house but just play too soft to actually jump. i dont understand why nellie wont use the pick and roll with jamison or finely. both can usually hit an open jump shot.
thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: bring on the pick and roll

To the extent I can understand it, the pick and roll continues going by the Mavs, but -correct me if I'm wrong- now the plays end with Walker, Najera or Jamison attacking the basket instead of making jumpers.

Course Dirk Finley and Howard should be used more for the jump shots in a pick and roll -although Howard would need to learn it better-, but in this shooting slump it wouldn't be a good practice to use it more often.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Mavs_fun_fan

Mavs_fun_fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE:bring on the pick and roll

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
To the extent I can understand it, the pick and roll continues going by the Mavs, but -correct me if I'm wrong- now the plays end with Walker, Najera or Jamison attacking the basket instead of making jumpers.

Course Dirk Finley and Howard should be used more for the jump shots in a pick and roll -although Howard would need to learn it better-, but in this shooting slump it wouldn't be a good practice to use it more often.
I probably don't have total understanding of the play but of the parts I do recognize, Dirk and Walker, Dirk and Jamison were using it to better and better effect. I've also seen Walker and Jamison use it some.

I agree they are still using it they have just changed the floor position and are using it more as a post move instead of using it to set up jump shots.

Mavs_fun_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: bring on the pick and roll

Quote:
Dirk and Walker, Dirk and Jamison were using it to better and better effect. I've also seen Walker and Jamison use it some.
Indeed. Other who knows how to do it, even though is very slow, is Bradley with Nash or Finley, but usually the play ends with jumpers by Nash or Finley and rarely with jumpers by Bradley. Only when the play is close to the baseline, outside of the paint, I see Bardley ending the play with a jumper wich sometimes gets in.

Quote:
I agree they are still using it they have just changed the floor position and are using it more as a post move instead of using it to set up jump shots.
You said it better.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:52 AM   #5
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road
Default RE:bring on the pick and roll

I agree with Willis.

Its not as effective with Jamison and Walker. You take the ball out of the hands of your two best offensive players (I think Nash ties with Findog for 2nd) and put it into the hands of your 4th and 5th. Whether it ended in a jumpshot or not the Dirk/Nash pick n' roll was deadly last season and it did often end with layups. It probably cause more havoc for other teams than any other play outside of throwing thr ball to Shaq. There were very few turnovers. Dirk's man was normally at a disadvantage giving Dirk a wie open lane to the goal or jumper. MOst teams concentrated on stopping that and brought an extra man over which left Nash with a lane open and a chance to score or dish the ball and finley with an open three or driving lane. Your best three scorers were all in a perfect position to score.

I think Nellie gets so caught up with his new toys that he forgets about his best ones who have this team where it is anyway.