Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I heard this on Pardon the Interuption today. Apparently the Utah Jazz are thinking of selling the Jazz name to New Orleans and taking a new name. They mentioned that Utah might want to be the Pioneers.

This makes sense to me. The "Jazz" name doesn't belong in Utah. Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by teams moving and keeping names that make no sense in the places they move to? I don't know the rules, but it should be "if you move you have to pick a new name."

Personally I think the Pioneers isn't that great, but I'm no fan of the Utah Jazz. I think maybe they could come up with something even more meaningful for Utah...like the Utah Sobriety or how about the Sharps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

what about... the "Utah Mormons" or the "Utah Bigomies"
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also, when charlotte gets a new team, if this thing happens, the new charlotte team can take back the name Hornets.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:52 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< what about... the &quot;Utah Mormons&quot; or the &quot;Utah Bigomies&quot;. >>

The correct term is &quot;biggomists&quot;.

There aren't a lot of Lakes in California, either. maybe the lakers should swap names with the T'wolves.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:53 PM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Five suggestions:

Utah Snowflakes
Utah Crackers
Utah Lilly Whites
Utah Zealots
Utah Latter Day Demons

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

You are the man, Madape!

How about this new rule (I'm now making the rules for names in the NBA): All new teams will be named by a local vote on five suggestions by Madape. I think what would be the solution. Then we wouldn't have teams like the &quot;Utah Jazz&quot; in the first place!

And, new name for the Lakers: The Drive-Bys

My vote, if I lived in Utah (let's hope not) would be the Later Day Demons.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:18 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

&lt;edit&gt;

I have lots of great things to say about Los Angeles - but I think it is in the best interest of the board for me to edit myself here. Making fun of Salt Lake City is OK. Making fun of L.A. is OK too. But targeting both back to back in the same thread can lead to more misunderstanding and name-calling than I care to be a part of. So for all you P.C. babies out there, call this a pre-emptive edit.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #7
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

Darn Madape...rules are ruining our fun!

Now I have to edit mine too.

What's the world coming too when a guy like Madape can't speak his mind?!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 04:29 PM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

Thanks for blowing my cover!
Old 10-10-2002, 05:17 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

All this madape censorship is bullcrap. I demand that the President do something.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 05:28 PM   #10
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

don't hold back now MadApe, you have quite a cult following on here.

BLG
Old 10-10-2002, 05:32 PM   #11
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

It was awesome!!
Madape was on a roll!

Can we get a catagory where we don't have to be politically correct? For those of us who can dish it out and take it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 06:02 PM   #12
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys. My family is Mormon (I'm quite inactive) and it is not a cult, full of zealots or worship the devil. I hold high respect for their lifestyle.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:08 PM   #13
senorfrog

On top of that, Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore (haven't for over 100 years) and more than half of the religion is concentrated outside of the U.S.. It's too bad you guys think that way.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:11 PM   #14
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

you were right MA, someone got pissed. I was saying MadApe has a cult following, nothing more. Settle down now.

BLG
Old 10-10-2002, 07:17 PM   #15
senorfrog

I am settled down. I just take exception to someone calling my family &quot;demons&quot;, that's all.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #16
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

&quot;On top of that, Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore (haven't for over 100 years) and more than half of the religion is concentrated outside of the U.S.. It's too bad you guys think that way.&quot;

Actually sir, you are quite, quite wrong! Obviously most mormons don't practice polygamy anymore, but some still do. In fact, there was an article about a Morman in Utah a few months back and it was talking about his various wives and how he and his sm. congregation still practice polygamy.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:30 PM   #17
senorfrog

If you knew anything about the mormon religion, you would recant that. People who practice polygamy are excommunicated from the mormon church. It is a well known fact. Look it up.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #18
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Did I say it wasn't? No sir, I did not. I simply said SOME Mormons still practice it, i didn't say they weren't frowned opoun. And I KNOW most don't practice it, but a few still do.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:41 PM   #19
senorfrog

No Mormons still practice it, because if they did, they would be excommunicated. Therefore, they are not Mormons. They are part of a small fringe group outside of the mainstream. I could go on and on about this because of my extensive research at Rutgers on Mormons, but I digress.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:43 PM   #20
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

well, they were called Mormons, but whatever.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:43 PM   #21
senorfrog

In using that rationale, would it be fair to say that all Catholics are child molesters? Hey, a few do it, so why not paint the entire culture. I think we'd agree that the argument does not have a valid point.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #22
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Yes, as I said 10 TIMES, hell, let me copy and paste it..&quot;And I KNOW most don't practice it, but a few still do.&quot;

There you go. Im done, of course most mormons don't practice it.

a lot of catholics however, have been child molestars.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:58 PM   #23
senorfrog

You're in way over your head. I'd have to disagree with your Catholic comment as well.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:04 PM   #24
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

not most, but a lot. That is simply a fact, a fact there has been a good number of reported cases at least.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:24 PM   #25
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

i don't think you're quite getting your head around the concept here UD.
You can call yourself whatever you want, I could say I'm a Hindu, but if i don't practice the religion, I'm not a Hindu.
Tom Green (the bigomist, not the comedian) can call himself a Mormon all he wants, but the simple fact is he is going against the doctrine. Bigomy isn't condoned by the Mormon church.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:38 PM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

&lt;ahem&gt;

If the Jazz do sell the rights to the name, they should wait until after Stockton and Malone retire...it just wouldn't look right to see them wearing a uniform with another mascot on it.

New name for the Utah team should coincide with a rebuilding effort.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:55 PM   #27
senorfrog

Ya...but the Utah &quot;Shi*&quot; doesn't quite have a good ring to it for a rebuilding era.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:00 PM   #28
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

veruca, ur wrong.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:03 PM   #29
veruca salt
Platinum Member

wanna give me a round about reason why i'm wrong??

Smile like you mean it
Old 10-10-2002, 09:11 PM   #30
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

not really. but the jist is, they had been mormons there whole life and they believed they were practicing the mormon religion. By your logic, Bin Laden isn't really Islamic.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:15 PM   #31
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Yes, that is exactly my logic. Like i said, just because you say you're a certain religion, doesn't mean you are. Whatever god you happen to say you worship doesn't just say &quot;we'll he's been calling himself a Morman all along, even though he doesn't really live like a Morman, that'll do...welcome to heaven&quot;
There is a doctrine that one follows, merely identifying yourself with one religion is not quite enough.

Smile like you mean it
Old 10-10-2002, 09:18 PM   #32
senorfrog

<< not really. but the jist is, they had been mormons there whole life and they believed they were practicing the mormon religion. By your logic, Bin Laden isn't really Islamic. >>

Here's an idea, Uber. Let's just drop it before I really do get pissed. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:27 PM   #33
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Here's a idea Mr. Frog, how bout you don't tell me what to do.

Veruca, ok, I understand where your coming from entirely, I do. I simply disagree with your logic, but I see what your saying.

So Im done with this convo.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:43 PM   #34
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

You all please drop this now!!

I did not start this thread for a religion debate or to hurt anyone.

I am sorry if any of my jokes or anyone elses offended any one here. I consider you all my friends and want you to be happy and accepted.

Senor Frog is 100% correct, polygamy (sp?) is not condoned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and hasn't been for a very, very, very long time. He is correct that other religions have equally unacceptable practices in their pasts as well as by specific individuals that do not apply to most practioners today.

Let me share an experience with you. When I was a senior in college, with honors grades, an officer in the accounting fraternity and a very hardworking young women ready to enter the workforce, I had an interview experience I will never forget. A gentleman from a large public accounting firm asked me in the beginning of an interview where I grew up (just general getting to know you stuff) I said although I have lived several places, I spent the majority of my childhood in New Orleans. After a very dirty look and shaking his head he said, &quot;I can't imagine anyone raising a child in a place like that.&quot; Wonderful! Perhaps I could tell my Mother and Daddy he said that. I will never forget the way that made me feel... How someone else's ideas about a place they had never lived or maybe even been would affect the way I was viewed as a professional and as a person.

Please, let's stop arguing and judging each other and have fun. I did not intend to start a fight here. I am glad you spoke up, Senor Frog. Please do not ever hesitate to do so.

Peace!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:45 PM   #35
senorfrog

<< Here's a idea Mr. Frog, how bout you don't tell me what to do.
>>

Your debating skills are lacking, Uber. It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and prove everyone right.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:46 PM   #36
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Actually, I have been to Utah, I have several Mormon friends, who say im right, so im done, finis.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:47 PM   #37
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

&quot;Your debating skills are lacking, Uber. It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and prove everyone right.&quot;

I don't want to fuel your idiocy farther, im done.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:55 PM   #38
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

One final commemnt. You need to realize, this is simply a message board, people are going to make fun of things, just take it w/ a grain of salt, you can't get so offended. No one is trying to make fun of the Mormon religion.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:14 PM   #39
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Mr. Frog, Veruca, were still cool, right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 10:28 PM   #40
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

how about editing a single post rather than posting 4 thousand times on top of yourself?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote