Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-18-2002, 12:50 PM   #1
LakerMania

LakerMania is on a distinguished road

Here's the complete article in English from ACB.com:

From acb.com/acb2/A08/A08-01.jsp?id=5937

Raul Lopez definitely out of the World Championships because of Injury

Raul Lopez will miss out of the World Championships in Indianapolis because of an injury to his right knee that occurred Saturday against Russia. Lopez suffered the partial tear of his ACL according to this morning’s MRI results. It is unknown how long the recovery time will be nor if it will require surgery. His substitute will be Jose Manuel Calderon, who will join the national team Monday in Torrelavega.

Estepona (Málaga), 18 ago. 2002 (EFE).- The point guard Raúl López will sit out the Basketball World Championships in Indianápolis because of the seriousness of injury suffered last night to his right knee, this was confirmed today by the team docotorn José Nogales.

Nogales commented that the player suffered "a partial tear of the ACL" of his right knee as confirmed by this morning by the results of an MRI.

The player from Vic was injured last night in a match between the teams from España y Rusia, in the final of the Trofeo Internacional de Baloncesto V Centenario de Estepona, that was won (78-61) by the team coached by Javier Imbroda.

During a play in the game, when Raúl López rushed to defend a three point shot by Karassev, the point guard hooked his leg with the Russian player and fell akwardly, bending his knee.

This morning , Raúl López has stopped concentrating on the Spanish national team, he will be replaced by José Manuel Calderón, who will where the number 13 on his back which had belonged to Raúl López.

The outsider point guard (Calderon) who was cut from the team last Wednesday by Javier Imbroda, will be reinstated to the team substituting for the guard from Vic (Lopez). Calderón, has been a preparing for the preseason with will join the national team Monday in Torrevalga where the team will leave Tueday for a tournament with Croacia, Lituania y Australia
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well actually he is not in the NBA yet, but the Jazz own his rights and were hoping to sign this talented player this year.

When a thing like this happens, Cuban doesn't look so dumb afterall. I bet the Jazz owner wish he had tried a little more to keep his player out of competition.

Shaq
LakerMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There is just too much money at stake for anyone to be bashing Cuban about the insurance. Cuban is 100% correct in this IMO.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 03:54 PM   #3
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

I dont agree Drbio, IMO it would cause to many problems down the line if he don't give his blessing for them to play.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

we agree to disagree then, because Finley, Nash and Bradley have all said they understand what Cuban is saying and they have no problem with it. They may not like it, but they understand. There will be no clubhouse problems at all over Cubans insurance concerns. That's silly. I'll fall in happily with those guys on this issue.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:11 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< we agree to disagree then, because Finley, Nash and Bradley have all said they understand what Cuban is saying and they have no problem with it. They may not like it, but they understand. There will be no clubhouse problems at all over Cubans insurance concerns. That's silly. I'll fall in happily with those guys on this issue. >>

If u Finley and NAsh have all said that then I think this is great. IT shows how loyal Finley Nash and whoever that other guy is are. I mean I guess u can say well maybe Mavs players feel they dont have any say in what they want to do with there selves but if u look at it Cubans way isnt he just trying to save his players and give them insurance? That is how Cuban is giving his blessings.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:46 PM   #6
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

If I am not mistaken, Lopez has already had a knee injury this year. He didn't play much in the Spanish league due to serious problems with his knee. I wonder if he reinjured his knee or injured his other knee. It looks like Utah will never sign this guy now.....I wouldn't....
Old 08-18-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

Well, I haven't heard any of that from Finley so I cannot comment on it. Nash pulled out IMO because of Cubans comments, and Dirk put up some of the money for his insurance so that shows Dirk was playing anyway. Some people are very dedicated to their countries and I am sure Cuban knows this, why would he risk team chemistry by coming out and saying this stuff? I know he is at risk but to jeopardize his relationship with these guys isn't worth that. When your best player say it is his &quot;dream&quot; to lead his team to a championship, then you give your blessing immediately IMO.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 10:43 PM   #8
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

It is sad for international basketball when insurance concerns keep a player out. I understand their concerns, just highlights to me how overpaid pro-basketballers are.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:39 AM   #9
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Question on this issue:

Could Canada not come up with the insurance money or did they have it and Nash withdrew anyaway?
Old 08-19-2002, 01:59 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I haven't heard officially, but I think Nash just withdrew anyway.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:49 PM   #11
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Does anybody think that the pic of Lopez looks like Hugh Jackman or am I just seeing things weird today?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #12
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

In fact, if Lopez is seriously injured this is a pretty sad story. He wanted to play in the NBA so bad that he borrowed 1.5 $ dollars to buy himself out of his Real Madrid contract. Right now he´s not under contract anywhere (he was just about to sign with the Jazz). He was injured while playing for his country which he loves and is proud to represent. I hope it´s nothing too serious and he can sign with the Jazz.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote