Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk hot stretch

I've thought for the past couple of years that Dirk's numbers had dropped for a couple of reasons..
1. decreased minutes
2. he's decided to take a back seat

I understand playing fewer minutes as he gets older. Obviously, keep him fresher for longer. I suppose you can say the same thing with taking a bit of a backseat. But, I think a bit of it was mental. He was getting older and didn't always feel as if he could do the same things as he did when he was younger. Cuban said the same thing on TheTicket. Dirk sometimes feels like he's older and can't do what he has always done, but it's simply not true. He's always been a bit of a pessimist and he has been pessimistic about his game feeling that there has been more of a decline than there actually has been..

But, for whatever reason, Dirk has decided to no longer take a back seat. Over the past 13 games, Dirk has averaged:
24 points
32.3 minutes
.534 FG%
.377 3pt %
.898 FT %
7 rebounds
1.1 blocks
and only
1.5 Turnovers.

He's taking 17 shots a game... He's being assertive.. It finally appears as if he's saying "no one else is doing it, so I suppose I should". He's taking over offensively. With a team hovering around the 6th-8th seed, it would be great to see him continue to look to be the man offensively..to no longer take a back seat. His numbers over the past 13 are in line with the absolute prime of his career. It truly appears that he could average 21-22 a game if he would not defer... It's not like there are better options... We don't need fewer looks for Dirk in lieu of more opportunities for JJB...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

totally agree - and great thread idea.

He really does seem to look for his shot more recently as opposed to being deferential as he has been in the past. His humility is something I have always liked about him but I love it when his alter ego "Dirk killer" kicks in. The 8 straight OT points capped off by the 3-pointer follow-through hold brought chicken-skin for me. His 10 mid-range baskets are the most he has made in a game in just over four years - He is a force to be reckoned with for sure!

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 03-21-2016 at 08:13 AM.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep... Honestly, I would have loved to have seen what Dirk could have done if he would have decided to just be a little more selfish for one year and up Kobe like FGA's.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

What's amazing to me about Dirk's performance yesterday is what he did in overtime after playing so many minutes. That man is a marvel of physical conditioning and mental toughness.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

I think I read recently that he completely gave up deserts for multiple years....
Old 03-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think I read recently that he completely gave up deserts for multiple years....
Yeah, pretty sure he gave up sugar back in 2006... That's some friggin dedication right there.

EDIT: found the article:

Quote:
Dirk was so concerned about keeping his body in shape that he stopped eating sugar when he was 27, which was 10 years ago. He cheated a bit last Thanksgiving, eating some pie, whipped cream and a cupcake, and was left feeling the consequences in his ankles the next day. This kind of dedication shows why he has been able to be productive into his late 30s.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-game-6-finals

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-21-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #7
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, pretty sure he gave up sugar back in 2006...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

The impressive part of what he did yesterday to me is that he did it in late March at game 70. I was a bit critical of him pacing himself earlier in the season but it looks like it is paying off now.

But isn't that really an attribute in the heart of a champion....knowing when to throttle it up but also when to throttle down a bit?
Energy management to maximize efficiency as far as I'm concerned.

The dude is just so incredibly awesome in so many ways.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Felton eats so much sugar, it's secreting from his armpits!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Felton eats so much sugar, it's secreting from his armpits!
I originally thought Dirk's sugar-fast was a Herculean task. But now I think I'm done with food altogether.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
ActionJackson

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Felton should really shave his pits. I mean it would certainly improve his 3-point %.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote