Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default Where's Reggie?

Swift 'Randomly' Starts 2nd Half And Asks 'Where's Reggie At?'
7th December, 2005 - 3:23 am
Seattle PI - There was good reason why Robert Swift began the second half in the Sonics' lineup and it wasn't because of his play in the first half.

While Swift was on the KeyArena court to begin the third quarter Tuesday against the New York Knicks , Reggie Evans was being administered a random NBA-mandated drug test, according to teammate Ray Allen.

Allen said after the Sonics' 104-101 loss that an NBA drug testing agent would not allow Evans to return the court until he finished his test. Evans did not return to the game until there was 1:48 left in the third quarter. He said he apologized to his teammates for letting them down because he "was in the bathroom."

A few minutes later, Allen revealed what he believed happened.

"I don't know if you guys know, but Reggie was back there taking a drug test," Allen said, "Which I think is ridiculous. It's not his fault, but he said the guy wouldn't let him out. He had to take a drug test for the NBA. It's ridiculous because Swift starts and you know how we started in the first half, we didn't have that same chemistry going into the third quarter.

"I'm not looking for excuses, trying to point blame, but there is no reason that should have happened, not during an NBA game. When we were drawing a play for the third quarter, Rob (Swift) said 'Where's Reggie at?' It's ridiculous for them to be trying to conduct a drug test during an NBA game."

Said Evans: "I felt like it (threw us off). I felt like I kind of messed my team chemistry up because coach had to put Swift in there."

After the game, Sonics coach Bob Weiss said he was unaware that Evans was taking a drug test and said he could not comment on the league's testing policy.

"As far as I know, Reggie was in the bathroom," Weiss said. "I don't know if he was taking a drug test."

The NBA is getting out of hand on this.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

NBA to stop in-game drug testing after Evans delay
Associated Press

SEATTLE -- NBA players will not be allowed to take their drug tests during games, the league said Wednesday, after a Seattle player missed part of the third quarter Tuesday night while taking his.

Reggie Evans
Evans

NBA spokesman Tim Frank would not talk specifically about Seattle's Reggie Evans, who teammates said missed the first few minutes of the second half against the New York Knicks while being tested.

But the league is changing when tests are allowed, Frank said.

"Our policy, however, does not require a player to take a drug test at any point during a game, and we will ensure going forward that no testing is conducted during this time," he said.

A phone message left for the players' association was not immediately returned.

After Tuesday night's game, Seattle's Ray Allen said that Evans was not on the bench for the opening moments of the second half because he was taking his league mandated drug test, required under the new collective bargaining agreement.

Evans, who started at power forward, returned to the bench with about 10 minutes remaining in the third quarter, but did not re-enter the game until there was 1:48 left in the quarter. During that stretch, Seattle's lead shrunk from 13 to six.

Following Wednesday's practice, Evans said he got caught up in his normal pregame routine and did not take the test before the game because he forgot. Evans said he used the restroom before the game and then remembered about the test.

"If you do your normal routine, you tend just to focus on that," Evans said. "You're not really thinking about [the test]."

He decided to take the test at halftime at his own choice. Evans said he would have made it back in time, but "the dude moved too slow."

Allen, one of Seattle's player representatives, said Wednesday the new testing takes about 15 to 20 minutes to complete, longer than previous tests. This is the first year the league is using an independent organization to conduct the screenings.

Allen was upset that Evans' absence interfered with Seattle's chemistry. Seattle led 50-41 at halftime, but ended up losing 104-101 to the Knicks. Allen also raised the issue of being tested on game day, instead of the day before or day after games.

"It's one of those situations that fell through the cracks a little bit, and I think it was unfortunate for us, but I won't use it as an excuse as to why we lost," he said.

Seattle coach Bob Weiss said all he was told was that Evans was in the bathroom and didn't know if he was sick or if he would return. Weiss put Robert Swift in the lineup to start the second half.

"I don't know if people did know that he wasn't out there warming up," Weiss said.

Weiss said because of the confidentiality of the drug testing, he could not comment. General manager Rick Sund said he spoke with the league, but would not comment other than saying that drug testing is a very good part of the new collective bargaining agreement.

Evans also reiterated that his test would come back negative.

"I've been clean since I've been in the league, I've been clean since I've been in college, I've been clean since I've been in high school, middle school, elementary school," Evans said. "I'm just cleaner than clean. I'm cleaner than Pine-Sol."
Old 12-08-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

thats just crazy the nba should be ashamed.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:42 AM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Reggie needs to be better hydrated...
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I felt like I kind of messed my team chemistry up

Depends on the chemistry, maybe.

Quote:
After Tuesday night's game, Seattle's Ray Allen said that Evans was not on the bench for the opening moments of the second half because he was taking his league mandated drug test, required under the new collective bargaining agreement. ...

Following Wednesday's practice, Evans said he got caught up in his normal pregame routine and did not take the test before the game because he forgot. Evans said he used the restroom before the game and then remembered about the test.

"If you do your normal routine, you tend just to focus on that," Evans said. "You're not really thinking about [the test]."

He decided to take the test at halftime at his own choice. Evans said he would have made it back in time, but "the dude moved too slow."
Sounds like this is basically Reggie's failure, and his decision that impacted his availability for the first two minutes of the second half. But I have to question what "the dude's" slowness had to do with Reggie takin' a whiz.

Plus, what is Ray Allen doing commenting on what is supposed to be a confidential process? If Weiss and Sund can't comment, should Ray Allen be?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

They should have allowed him to take it AFTER the game instead of taking his mind of the game in pregame/halftime.

Quote:
"I don't know if you guys know, but Reggie was back there taking a drug test," Allen said, "Which I think is ridiculous. It's not his fault, but he said the guy wouldn't let him out. He had to take a drug test for the NBA. It's ridiculous because Swift starts and you know how we started in the first half, we didn't have that same chemistry going into the third quarter.