Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-18-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Rodman on Leno

The guy doesn't look anywhere near out of shape.

He said he lost 18pounds and has two percent body fat. I just hope he takes those piercings out if he makes a return.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rodman on Leno

I've always been a Rodman fan and I hated the way his stints with LA and the Mavs went.. I think he really had some misconceptions about what he wanted to do with his career at that point... because before then, with all his antics and whatnot, he was still so much about hustling and playing like a madman. It seemed like those few games with LA and Dallas he was just too lazy to be a ballplayer and just felt like being a circus instead.

So, for his sake, I hope he's wised up and can get a farewell tour someplace. Average 4 points and 12 rebounds, dive into the crowd after loose balls a few dozen times, make a playoff run, and call it quits positively

It's really a shame that he already wore out his welcome in Dallas by being such an ass. I'd STILL take a 42 year old Rodman over damn near anyone realistically available.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:18 AM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Rodman on Leno

I agree with you Rhylan, but he basically dissed the Mavs. Well, he mostly dissed Mark Cuban for his inability to get girls.

He said probably Sacramento.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 07-19-2003, 04:13 AM   #4
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Rodman on Leno

Sac doesnt want him! they said it publicly today.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:42 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Rodman on Leno

Given the NBA's current image issues, a Rodman farewell tour would hardly be the PR-enhancing move the NBA needs just now.

He's broke. He needs money. Let him sue Madonna for something.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Default RE: Rodman on Leno

He said he wasn't broke, and he was very generous in loaning his family and friends money when they needed it.

It really seems like he cleaned up his act a little.

~The Salesman
Old 07-19-2003, 04:22 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rodman on Leno

The bit with Rodman was funny. Those damn goggles he wore kept fogging up. He's still a freak, but I would have to agree that he looked like he was in pretty good shape. Of course, being slimmed down and being able to run 90 feet for 40 minutes are two different things. Maybe someone like the Clips will pick him up for gate revenue.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:59 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rodman on Leno

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs_Rule2003
Sac doesnt want him! they said it publicly today.
Thursday, July 17
Updated: July 18, 5:24 AM ET
Kings co-owner cites financial concerns
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Sacramento Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said Thursday that he has no intention of bringing Dennis Rodman out of retirement ... but not because he's totally against the idea.

Maloof and brother Gavin are among the league's most open-minded owners, and Joe Maloof admitted that "we would at least look at it" if Rodman proposed a comeback at age 42. Maloof said a comeback was not discussed when the brothers had dinner with Rodman recently.

The biggest obstacle to signing Rodman (or any other player), Maloof told ESPN.com, is that the Kings are determined to trim payroll after carrying a roster in 2002-03 that will require the club to pay $18 million in luxury-tax penalties. Meaning that the Kings don't plan to add anyone in free agency, even with their hated rivals from Los Angeles signing Gary Payton and Karl Malone this week and with other West contenders strengthening themselves.

"We're pretty happy with the team we have," Maloof said. "Our roster is pretty much full. I don't know how you can improve our team (from a personnel standpoint). Our goal is to keep a consistent core of players and get better from within. If we can stay healthy, I don't want to panic and do too many things."

That's because Maloof treasures the Kings' vaunted chemistry. Few locker rooms in the league are as close-knit as Sacramento's. It's difficult to envision the Maloofs or executive vice president Geoff Petrie risking that chemistry by bringing in the combustible Rodman, even if he can still rebound at a high level more than three seasons removed from his last NBA game.

Maloof is serious about the money concerns as well. He said it was unlikely that the Kings can even re-sign reserve swingman Jim Jackson, who joined the team in December for the league's veteran minimum of $1 million and wound up displacing Hedo Turkoglu and Gerald Wallace from coach Rick Adelman's rotation.

"Dennis will not be in a Sacramento Kings uniform," Maloof said. "He was a great, great player, and I think he's still in pretty good shape, but our roster is pretty set."

Rodman told ESPN's Outside the Lines Nightly that he wants to return for one last NBA fling because his last two stints were brief and marred by controversy. He lasted just 23 games with the Lakers in the lockout-shortened 1999 season, then only 12 games with his hometown Dallas Mavericks in 1999-2000.

"The way I left and the way it all came about wasn't right," Rodman said during Wednesday's interview. "So I feel like I need to come back and finish my career the way I need to.

"All the great players in the league finished their careers on a high note, and a good note. That's the way I should do my last hurrah."

Rodman, a seven-time NBA rebounding champion who won five championship rings in his 14 seasons, also said during the interview that playing for the Kings would provide a "delicious" opportunity to "screw the Lakers."

Maloof did like the sound of that, saying with a laugh: "Everyone wants to stick it to the Lakers. It's a matter of having a good enough team to do it. They're going to be fun to watch (with Payton and Malone), but nobody knows how they're all going to play together. Nobody knows how it's all going to turn out."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote