Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all
Default Scott Willimas

It looks like the Mavericks are seriously considering getting Scott Williams???
I was under the impresssion that the mavericks wanted a shot-BLOCKING center
to try to replicate what bradley does when he is out?

Anyway Willimas is ranked #50 among centers in the NBA (according to sportsline),
while bradley is ranked like 47, btw Brendan Haywood (mentioned in Star Telegram)
is ranked #34!! Let's get Haywood if we can b/c he averages at least 1blk/game in
16mins.

Link to ESPN article
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Scott Willimas

Haywood is a lot harder to get. He's a young kid with quite a bit oif value. If Washington is serious about trading him, they could at least get a first round pick - something we don't have this year.

Scott Williams is a very good fit here. He's one of those savvy vets that Nellie loves. They always tend to play really well for him - Walt, Popeye (before injury), Avery, etc. Williams can defend, rebound, be a great lockerroom guy, and not disrupt chemistry. If we get him, we should be pretty happy.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Its not that we need a shot blocking C as much as we need a taller than 6-7 post defender. Currently our post defenders after Bradley are Dirk, Walker, Jamison, and Fortson..with Dirk being the only one over 6-9. Williams is a legitimate 6-10 post defender who will rebound and can hit an open 15 footer. That is what we need.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Scott Willimas

The Ticket is reporting that he's been waived.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

Suns release Scott Williams
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 28, 2004 03:11 PM

The Phoenix Suns granted Scott Williams his wishes and released the veteran center.

The roster move leaves the Suns with 13 players and gives Williams the opportunity to be claimed by another team. It is believed that the Dallas Mavericks, who are looking for help on their front line, are one of the teams interested in signing him.

"We are happy to accommodate Scott's desire to be released in light of our current direction," said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. "Scott has made great contributions to our organization and we look forward to continuing our relationship in the future."

Williams' lack of playing time over the past several weeks has coincided with the youth movement that has taken hold of the franchise since the trade of Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway to the New York Knicks. Williams was offered a job on the coaching staff this year, but he rejected the offer.

The 35 year-old started 10 games this season and averaged 7.3 points and 4.25 rebounds. Williams has averaged 5.3 points and 4.9 rebounds in a career that has spanned 13 years and five NBA teams.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

next stop...DALLAS
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

We can only hope, he may get taken by a team w/a worse record than us....I've been researching this guy & the more i see the more i like!

Let's teach him 2 block, it's a big part of defense...but so are steals and he has plenty of those.

I wonder if he can slow shaq, td, or garnett for us?
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Yes!!, why not? I think he could help. It's true that the veteran players normally (normally) don't alter the chemical. I hope he will be our Mychal Thompson [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
next stop...DALLAS
(fingers crossed)

Anyone know how long it takes to clear waivers - I would think it would be a couple of days but...
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Waiver period = 48 hours
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Waiver period = 48 hours
Thanks for the info
Old 01-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #12
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
next stop...DALLAS
(fingers crossed)

Anyone know how long it takes to clear waivers - I would think it would be a couple of days but...
Except we don't want him to clear waivers, we want to claim him off waivers, correct?
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #13
Max Power
Banned

We have to wait until the waiver period is over before we know if another team has put in a claim.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 AM   #14
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Why isn't LA interested in him? Especially considering that he knows the triangle. I guess he is kind of another Horace Grant to them.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:53 AM   #15
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Why isn't LA interested in him? Especially considering that he knows the triangle. I guess he is kind of another Horace Grant to them.
Phil Jackson hates to make mid-season changes to his team. The team he goes out of training camp with is the one he wants to take to the playoffs.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:54 AM   #16
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Good question, reDirk...

A lot of people on this board were posting (over and over) about Mamadou in the last few weeks...without realizing that NO ONE ELSE wanted him. (or that he'd only played 33 games in 4 years with non-existent production). You can find similar huff and puff stuff about Slavko Vranes... You can even go back and find old posts about how Fortson would come to the 5 and be a double double player for us.

Williams is 36..never a great player...and gets no real PT in Phoenix...he'll get 16 minutes...then sit for 2 games...then 10 minutes...then sit for a game...then 12 minutes...and then sit for 3 games...

Williams won't hurt us BUT he won't help us either...on the Court.
If he's a vet leader, like Avery, in the clubhouse...I'm ok with that.

But, this is much ado about nothing.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:55 AM   #17
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

His totals for the month of January are:

Zero
Zero
Zero
Zero and
Zero

Not one minute of PT for freaking ugly stuff Phoenix.

Spare me.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #18
uberfan
Golden Member

From today's Dallas Morning News:

Waiting game: The Mavericks have an interest in Scott Williams , the 14-year NBA veteran forward/center who was waived by Phoenix on Wednesday.

If no team lower in the standings picks up Williams, the Mavericks may claim him off the waiver wire, possibly as soon as today. However, they are at the mercy of teams such as the Lakers, who would be able to claim him before the Mavericks could get a shot.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #19
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I think I read he's coming here more to give us a veteran voice in the locker room than to give us actual big man production. An insurance policy that helps team chemistry.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #20
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Like Mad said...he would be here for a vocal leader in the clubhouse. He also is a big body who has fouls to give. I'd rather see Williams in there having to body up Malone in the playoffs rather than Dirk.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #21
zanahale

zanahale is on a distinguished road

Have some bad news, as it turns out, it looks like the Lakers are interested in Scott Williams as well and they apparently (from what I have gathered) are ahead of us in the pecking order...that will really piss me off if they get him just so we dont!

see http://www.hoopshype.com

Click on the rumours link "Kobe a Clipper?" and there you will see a LA Times aritcle link.
zanahale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 AM   #22
MikeB
Golden Member

OP

The main reason he has a bunch of zeros for Jan is that Phoenix BLEW up their team and went with the young guys...not because he couldn't help them. He would be better for this team than a sore kneed Eddie Najera.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 AM   #23
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I think it all depends upon your expectations of Williams.

If you're expecting him to come in and start at center, play 25-30 minutes a night and shut down opposing big men, well, you're probably expecting way too much. Then again, I don't know anybody who's expecting that.

If, however, you're just expecting that he'll come in and give you another option that could play 10-15 minutes if needed and be a smart, veteran player, well, I think Williams can do that. That's pretty much what I'm expecting.

His playing time in Phoenix has been sporadic at least in part due to injury. Also, Phoenix is focusing on playing young guys; why would they give significant minutes to Williams?

It probably is much ado about nothing, but it's not like everybody expects the guy to come in and turn the team into a defensive juggernaut.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: zanahale
Have some bad news, as it turns out, it looks like the Lakers are interested in Scott Williams as well and they apparently (from what I have gathered) are ahead of us in the pecking order...that will really piss me off if they get him just so we dont!

see http://www.hoopshype.com

Click on the rumours link "Kobe a Clipper?" and there you will see a LA Times aritcle link.
This is particularly true in light of the continuing serious nature of Malone's injury (expected out until late March) and Brian Cook's injury (out 6 weeks or so). Who knows? Maybe Williams would really prefer to go to LA anyway...

Old 01-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #25
MikeB
Golden Member

The Lakers are now % points ahead of us now. Does that mean our claim would be accepted first?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #26
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MikeB
The Lakers are now % points ahead of us now. Does that mean our claim would be accepted first?

If I'm right, we were percentage points ahead of the Lakers at the time Williams was released. But then the loss to Utah put us behind them.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #27
MikeB
Golden Member

Correct...but is it from when he was released or from when he is claimed?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:56 AM   #28
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

It is unclear if LA is interested or not - the article merely said they had talked about Williams. It does appear that any interest they might have would be based on need rather than on a desire to foil Dallas.

LA would have to jettison a player from their roster if they put in a claim, they already have 15.

It is also unclear who would win the waiver claim if it came down to LA and Dallas. Since teams might make their claim at any time within the 48 hr window, it most likely is determined by the awarding moment (ie, end of 48 hrs) which would mean Dallas would get him over LA.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM   #29
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Harper seems to be of the opinion that the Mavs are very interested in this guy. He reported that in the pre-game show before the Utah game.

I think he would be the type of player we need. He will bring something we don't have at the center spot a combination of toughness, play-off experience and reportedly locker room presence. It's worth a try, especially since Sabonis doesn't look like he wants to return to the NBA any time soon.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #30
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

It is really weird that the Lakers were specifically mentioned as the only team that wouldn't guarantee they wouldn't claim him.

If he said that he didn't want to play in LA do you think they would still take him? Considering that he was the guy that took Malone out of action would Malone even want to play next to him? It would be like Suns picking up Fortson. lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #31
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Harper seems to be of the opinion that the Mavs are very interested in this guy. He reported that in the pre-game show before the Utah game.

I think he would be the type of player we need. He will bring something we don't have at the center spot a combination of toughness, play-off experience and reportedly locker room presence. It's worth a try, especially since Sabonis doesn't look like he wants to return to the NBA any time soon.
Harper also said the he passes from the post pretty well. Can't have too many people who can do that on this team. I guess we will know something soon. Cuban said in FWST that Mavs were putting in a claim.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:10 AM   #32
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

DFWstar

Posted on Thu, Jan. 29, 2004

Mavs plan to claim Williams
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks' search for frontline help has turned to veteran center Scott Williams. Mark Cuban told the Star-Telegram on Wednesday night the Mavs intend to claim Williams off waivers.

Phoenix waived Williams (6-foot-10, 260 pounds) earlier in the day after the 35-year-old declined an offer to join the Suns' coaching staff. Williams, on the injured list for 21 games this season because of left thumb surgery and back spasms, appeared in 16 games, including 10 starts, and averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in 16.7 minutes per game.

"He's purely an insurance policy against injuries to Danny [Fortson] and Shawn [Bradley]," Cuban said. "We don't expect him to come in and start, but he is a vet that has been through the wars, knows how to play, can rebound and hit the open shot. That's an insurance policy that is nice to have."

The Star-Telegram first reported the Mavs' interest in Williams on Saturday. With only one true center (Bradley) on the roster, the Mavs have been in the market for additional frontcourt help. Dirk Nowitzki, naturally a forward, has been forced to play center more than the coaching staff intended.

Though any team with a worse record than the Mavericks can claim Williams, teams with priority ahead of the Mavs have reportedly assured Williams and his agent, Arn Tellem, that they will pass. It takes 48 hours for a player to clear waivers.

Williams, a 14-year veteran, was a member of three championship teams in Chicago (1991-93) and has also played with Milwaukee, Philadelphia and Denver.

With the addition of Williams, the Mavs will have a full roster of 15 players.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #33
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex

Harper also said the he passes from the post pretty well. Can't have too many people who can do that on this team. I guess we will know something soon. Cuban said in FWST that Mavs were putting in a claim.
Moreover, Custer reported that Williams wants to play in Dallas. We'll see what happens I guess.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:47 PM   #34
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

from arizona republic:
"sources said that every team ahead of Dallas in the pecking order with the exception of the Los Angeles Lakers assured Williams and his agent, Arn Tellem, that they would not claim the 35-year-old center. The Lakers had expressed no interest earlier, Williams said."

maybe a strategy his agent uses to get more money out of cuban?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Scott Williams

how do you like this picture
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:08 PM   #36
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

how do you like this picture
I think I'd like it better if his jersey read Dallas instead of Suns. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 04:44 PM   #37
bcrav4
Golden Member

Hey espn updated their article:

" According to league rules, waiver claims are based on the record at the time of the player's release. Although the Lakers leapfrogged the Mavericks in the Western Conference standings after Wednesday's games, Dallas had the higher winning percentage (.644 to .634) at the time Williams was waived. Which means that the Lakers would get Williams if both teams claimed him.

League sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Williams' agent, Arn Tellem, was "working to ensure that other teams (besides Dallas) don't claim him." When Williams was released at 6 p.m. EST on Wednesday, according to sources, all indications still pointed to Dallas being the only team planning to claim him.

Williams has said that if he can't choose the team that secures his rights, he'd prefer to finish the season on the Suns' bench. The Lakers, though, might also appeal to Williams as an 11th-hour option, since he played for coach Phil Jackson on the first three of Chicago's championship teams. Williams, ironically, was unintentionally responsible for Malone's knee problems, falling into him on Dec. 21 to leave Malone with the first long-term injury of his 19-season career. "
Old 01-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #38
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Those damn Lakers better not get him!
Old 01-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #39
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Honestly, I'd like to have him but I'm not going to shed too many tears if the Lakers pick him up.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #40
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I would shed one tear... just for the fact that we can't get any free agent big man to come to the Mavs and that Phil Jackson would consider it a psychological victory.