Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Is this the strategy??

We have 9 guys (including Gerald Green) right now.

We sign some FA's to 1-2 year contracts this offseason to fill spots.

We probably enter the lottery after the season. Pick up a lottery pick (which the next draft is supposed to be PG heavy)

Then after this next season we are only committed to Dirk, J-Ho, Damp, and Terry. We fill in a few holes (the 1 year contract guys).

The next draft pick for 2010 goes to NJ. That summer we go after Wade, LeBron, or Bosh.

*IF* we get one of them we have Dirk (33), Bron/Wade/Bosh, J-Ho (31), Terry (34), Damp (35). We also have our lottery pick in year 2 (20-23)

Is this Cuban's strategy?
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

huh ... you joking right?

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

i hope not..i think we will trade Damp and or Stack with Eddie Jones for someone this year. It is hard pressed to see those guys back..Damp maybe but for Stack/Eddie...don't see it.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan
We have 9 guys (including Gerald Green) right now.

We sign some FA's to 1-2 year contracts this offseason to fill spots.

We probably enter the lottery after the season. Pick up a lottery pick (which the next draft is supposed to be PG heavy)

Then after this next season we are only committed to Dirk, J-Ho, Damp, and Terry. We fill in a few holes (the 1 year contract guys).

The next draft pick for 2010 goes to NJ. That summer we go after Wade, LeBron, or Bosh.

*IF* we get one of them we have Dirk (33), Bron/Wade/Bosh, J-Ho (31), Terry (34), Damp (35). We also have our lottery pick in year 2 (20-23)

Is this Cuban's strategy?
Only one small correction: Dirk will be 32 in 2010...
He has a contract in Dallas until 2011. According to a recent interview in the German press, he stated that he wants to play in the NBA until he cannot compete with the best anymore. And maybe back to Germany afterwards. I am quite sure that he can do that until he 35-36, which would mean 2013-2014. Well, I really hope he stays in the NBA for 5-6 years more from now on (as far as I remember he also said in May/June that is sure to be able play 5-6 years on high level).

Last edited by Sportstudi; 07-02-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi
Only one small correction: Dirk will be 32 in 2010...
He has a contract in Dallas until 2011. According to a recent interview in the German press, he stated that he wants to play in the NBA until he cannot compete with the best anymore. And maybe back to Germany afterwards. I am quite sure that he can do that until he 35-36, which would mean 2013-2014. Well, I really hope he stays in the NBA for 5-6 years more from now on (as far as I remember he also said in May/June that is sure to be able play 5-6 years on high level).
I think Dirk can play 7-8 more years if he really wanted to because of his size and shooting barring an big injuries.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

remember lbj stated dallas as one of his favorite cities, we will prob do after him in 2010...and we might have enough cap space if that if cubes and donnie's plan
Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

So the Mavs have two future hall of fame olympians on the roster this year and they're shooting for the lottery? Are you KIDDING ME?

Lebron is going to The Brooklyn Nets in 2010. Everything I keep hearing is that it is like a done deal. I can't see Wade coming here it just isn't happening. Bosh would be the most likely, being that he is from Dallas.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-02-2008 at 12:54 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

there's no way were shootin for the lottery
Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

idiot thread. you should get red boxes....now
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
So the Mavs have two future hall of fame olympians on the roster this year and they're shooting for the lottery? Are you KIDDING ME?

Lebron is going to The Brooklyn Nets in 2010. Everything I keep hearing is that it is like a done deal. I can't see Wade coming here it just isn't happening. Bosh would be the most likely, being that he is from Dallas.
We are not "shooting" for the lottery but that is where we will probably end up. Just like we almost did this year. Especially if we make no moves and spend the MLE on Diop.

In fact we are a Dirk/J-Ho/Kidd injury away from having a deep pick in the lottery.

Remember the Clippers and Blazers are getting significantly better. I think it will be another race for #8.

Last edited by MascisMan; 07-02-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Kidd joined midseason (midseason trades almost never equal success in the same year) and we still had Avery as coach. This is a new season where they can work together in training camp and we have a new, better coach. Forget about last season.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
MascisMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Kidd joined midseason (midseason trades almost never equal success in the same year) and we still had Avery as coach. This is a new season where they can work together in training camp and we have a new, better coach. Forget about last season.
Thats fine BUT we still can't ignore the Clippers and Blazers getting significantly better. The Nuggets will still be hanging around as will the Suns.

Its going to be another race for #8 and a wrong bounce here or there and we could be facing the lottery no matter how hard we try. Its a legitimate possibility.

I mean these are the potential playoff teams in the West (in no specific order):

Lakers
Spurs
Hornets
Suns
Rockets
Jazz
Mavs
Nuggets
Clippers
Blazers
Warriors (maybe not now)

Thats 10-11 teams

Last edited by MascisMan; 07-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I agree, its hard to admit but unless we come out fists swinging and truly understanding the urgency of the situation we will be fighting for our playoff lives next season. And in the foreseeable future it's only going to get worse once Seatle (Durant, Green, Westbrook) and Memphis (Gay, Mayo, Conely) start building around their young talent.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I think this year will be much better for us. When Dirk/Kidd get a fresh start with each other. It wont be as hard as last year, it was soo hard last year partly because of AJ.

This year wer going all the way..and I think the youngs tht wer signing will play a part in it

GO MAVS

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
This year wer going all the way..and I think the youngs tht wer signing will play a part in it

GO MAVS

Now thats a bold prediction.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #16
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

We're winning the NBA title this year

Suns- too old
Spurs-past their prime, Ginobili/Duncan breaking down
Lakers- too soft
Houston-too injury prone, 1st round virgin
New Orleans-fluke choker jump shooting team
Denver-Melo isn't a winner, can't be the best player on a real team.
LAC-they have good players, but lack the elite player necessary to win a title. altho brand may be that, still... injury prone!
Portland-Oden is a bust, they're just a soft jumpshooting team. too young to be a contender in 2008
Warriors-too young, too soft
Utah-Boozer is a weak Robin. too soft, no interior defense

As for our beloved Mavs, we got BIG DAMP holdin down dat fort. we'll play ya'll punks at any tempo. Slow the game down and run Isos with Dirk/JHO, or run YA'LL off the court with our athletes on dem wings and Dirk with dem trailer three's. Kidd, Dirk, Damp BEST REBOUNDING team in da NBA, BELIEVE dat. Jho had a fluky end to the year, he gon bounce back! blee dat!

I'm tellin ya guys, its da truth

Last edited by ghazi; 07-02-2008 at 02:56 PM.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Even if we were capable of going all the way, the evil commishioner and his goonie refs would prevent us from winning in the Finals again.

My prediction: We're not going to be a lottery team and not going to win the NBA Championship. It'll be 3rd first round exit in a row.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-02-2008 at 02:54 PM.