Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default German interview with Rick and Dirk

Hat tip to the blondebomber at db.com
http://dallasbasketballdotcom.yuku.c...ster/1/?page=1

I was happy to hear that Rick has incorporated some specific items into the dirksters workout. I also think he's going to be a little more sophisticated in his teaching techniques tthan the littlest napoleon was. It's just an impression but he's talked of smaller things that will help the players do what they want. I wasn't privy to what avery was saying but he never talked about techniques very much, mostly macro things.

Quote:
Here is the link to the German article
http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/mehr-s...o=4913714.html

I'll try a translation. I hope I will be able to....

Dirk, I will make you even better

BILD: Mr. Carlisle, you're for the first time in Germany. How do you like your trip?

RC: It's great. I've been visiting some sights with Dirk's father, went for a meal with Dirk's family and I've been in a beergarden. But most of all I am here to see Dirk doing his workouts.

Dirk: In the morning I always went with Holger to the gym and did some workouts with the ball. Rick watched and brought in his ideas.

RC: I have huge faith in Holger's work. He inserted the things into the workouts I asked for. In the NBA Dirk is guarded very hard, even with two opponents. I want to help him making the right decisions in those situations and to make the game easier for him. How he drives to the basket and how he throws. Dirk, I will make you even better!

BILD: Do you remember the moment you saw Dirk for the first time play?

RC: It was in 1998. Dirk participated in a pickup (?) game in the USA. Almost everybody had a video tape of that game. Back then Larry Bird already knew that Dirk would be a very good player. And he was right. The fact that Dirk trains during summer instead of going on vacation - fantastic.

Dirk: But since two years it's harder to motivate me during the summer. My body wants some time off. So most likely this will be the last summer with me working so hard. I want to go to the Olympics, that's my dream. But next year I will need the summer to relax.

BILD: What do the Mavs need to go for the championship?

RC: We need an athletic player who can drive to the basket. And we need a constant hitting 3-point shooter. Those are the type of players we are looking for. But it's going to be tough next year. In order to be a contender every player needs to be in formidable form - especially Dirk. He is a very important player for the Mavs.

BILD: And he plays this summer in Athen to qualify for the Olympics. Considering the possibility of injuries you might not be very enthusiastic about it.

RC: Right now Dirk lives for his Olympics dream. So I have no choice, I have to root for him.

Dirk: At the moment I see nothing from Würzburg. In the morning I am in the gym and in the evening I am on the stepper (?). That's almost everything what I've been doing for the last three weeks. But if we qualify for the Olympics we will party all night long in Athen.

RC: I will watch the tournament in Athen from Dallas and will root for Germany. I think they have a chance.

BILD: Mr. Carlisle, would you be able to support Team Germany in German?

RC: I only speak two German words: Schnitzel and Schnauze. That are the words I learned from the Bill Murray in the movie "Stripes" (My comment: Sorry, I don't know his original name). But I know that the Germans love David Hasselhoff...

Dirk (laughing): Once I said I would sing "Looking for Freedom" during the freetrows to stay focused. I never got rid of it since then. I even met him once.

RC: Do you have any other rituals?

Dik: Before the games I try to keep the same rhythm. Locker room, warm up, throwing the ball. And I am not allowed to go to the hair cutter. My teammates forbid me to do it. They think we lose when I cut my hair. But in Athen I will have a modern short hair cut.

Sorry if this has been posted before.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

great read thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
RC: We need an athletic player who can drive to the basket. And we need a constant hitting 3-point shooter. Those are the type of players we are looking for. But it's going to be tough next year.
Enter Maggette & Redd (or something in that mold)?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-22-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Rick sounds like he actually cares. Good stuff.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Enter Maggette & Redd (or something in that mold)?

Yup...
Yup
Old 06-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Yup...
Yup

Give me Maggette and I understand Redd's ability to shoot, but I want some defense.

82Games did some defensive analysis and Michael Redd was the worst defender at the 2 guard position in the NBA... (The data was from 02-05, but it showed a consistent trend)
DEFENSIVE STATS LINK

Michael Rosenbaum's analysis of Redd:
"Michael Redd is in a league of his own on defense at the shooting guard position. The difference between Redd and the next lowest-rated shooting guard is three times as large as the difference between the 2nd and 10th lowest-rated shooting guards. And Redd has been very consistently ineffective over the years. Again, defense may win championships, but it does not pay the bills."
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree and see that, but I'll go with the new environment and team defense philosophy/approach that worked in Boston. I mean if he's the worst...he can only go up right?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsanctuary
Give me Maggette and I understand Redd's ability to shoot, but I want some defense.

82Games did some defensive analysis and Michael Redd was the worst defender at the 2 guard position in the NBA... (The data was from 02-05, but it showed a consistent trend)
DEFENSIVE STATS LINK

Michael Rosenbaum's analysis of Redd:
"Michael Redd is in a league of his own on defense at the shooting guard position. The difference between Redd and the next lowest-rated shooting guard is three times as large as the difference between the 2nd and 10th lowest-rated shooting guards. And Redd has been very consistently ineffective over the years. Again, defense may win championships, but it does not pay the bills."
Hahah, sigh. But, I think I'd rather watch us lose with amazing offense and horrible defense, than lose with horrible offense and horrible defense.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

I feel very confident that he will not be here, one of the best things that happened a few years back was Milwaukee matching our offer. He is great shooter but were already implementing a new offense, they don't have time to teach a veteran to play Defense too.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice
Wink

looking forward to Dirk's "modern short hair cut"....
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk: But since two years it's harder to motivate me during the summer. My body wants some time off. So most likely this will be the last summer with me working so hard. I want to go to the Olympics, that's my dream. But next year I will need the summer to relax.

Does this slightly scare anyone else? It sounds a little bit like the beginning of the end. I'm not saying that we didn't all see it coming, or that its unacceptable or anything, but its still a little sad.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
Does this slightly scare anyone else? It sounds a little bit like the beginning of the end. I'm not saying that we didn't all see it coming, or that its unacceptable or anything, but its still a little sad.
But it was expectable. However, he said one month ago in e German newspaper that he still wants to play for 5-6 years on a high level. So he would be 35-36 then. Kidd is 35 now and will turn 36 next March, but he's still playing a great ball. Or look to Nash, he's 34. I think that Dirk still has a plenty of good years left.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Yah, Every year since being in the league he hasn't taken much time off after the season. Seems like his body would be more taxed than it is. I wouldn't be surprised if he was slightly more sluggish this year.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

He's got a few years left of MVP-level play before we need to start worrying. He can easily average 20+ just being a spot up shooter anyways =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Dik: Before the games I try to keep the same rhythm. Locker room, warm up, throwing the ball. And I am not allowed to go to the hair cutter. My teammates forbid me to do it. They think we lose when I cut my hair. But in Athen I will have a modern short hair cut.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Did Avery ever visit Dirk's family or meet with him outside of a professional setting? One would think that a coach and the MVP of the team should have a closer relationship. You play much better for someone you like...than a control freak.

I expect great things from Dirk next year.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Rick and Dirk are preety good together~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Did Avery ever visit Dirk's family or meet with him outside of a professional setting? One would think that a coach and the MVP of the team should have a closer relationship. You play much better for someone you like...than a control freak.

I expect great things from Dirk next year.
Dirk gives us great things every year.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

BILD is a name known to all ...