Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
littlelibo

littlelibo is a jewel in the roughlittlelibo is a jewel in the roughlittlelibo is a jewel in the rough
Default Appreciation Night?

I just sent this to Mark Cuban... maybe we could start a groundswell...

Mark,

Based on how sad I am today, I can only imagine the agony you feel. Going into the season, I thought you and Donnie had put together a great young team, and I was excited to see them compete and maybe reach a championship someday. The fact that someday became this season was absolutely incredible. My father took me to the first Mavs game ever in October 1980 when I was only 6 years old and I have been hooked ever since. Through the years, we have had plenty of disappointments. I'm not just talking about the on the court variety (like losing to the Lakers in 1988). I am primarily talking about the disappointment of investing so much energy (and money) into players who obviously don't care as much as you do. From Aguirre quitting on his team and forcing them to trade him, to Roy Tarpley snorting away all his potential, to the three J's inability to set aside their egos for the benefit of the team (side note: has Jim Jackson played for all 30 teams yet?).

This is the aspect of this team that I will remember most when I look back on this season. The heart and selflessness with which they played. I think it starts with Avery and trickles down through the entire team. You NEVER heard any player complain about lack of shots or playing time. You always knew they would give it their all and leave nothing in the tank. They all had one goal and that was to win as a team. And win they did. They won more games (including playoffs) than any team in franchise history. They fought through plenty of tough times and never quit. Maybe their execution at the end of some of these games was not perfect, but the effort was always there. These are the things I will remember and treasure about this year.

As I left the arena last night, my personal frustration over losing was overtaken by a sadness I felt for the players themselves. I teared up as I watched them exit the court; having to fight through the Heat players' celebration and the chaos of the NBA preparing for the trophy ceremony. In the midst of our disappointment, we fans did not properly show our appreciation for our team. As I drove home, I couldn't help thinking that I wished they had lost on the road. That way we could meet them at the airport to show how much this season has meant to us. I felt sad thinking of the players having to enter the off-season hearing nothing but commentary on their failures and nothing about the great success this season really was.

While I know it may sound high schoolish, is their any way to organize a pep-rally of sorts to give us a chance to properly show this team… the greatest team in Mavs history how much we love them? I know the players are probably leaving in the coming days for vacations, etc., but I would guess that you have the rights to the arena for tomorrow night. Is it possible to host an event with such short notice? I'm sure the turnout would be great and I already have the schedule cleared though the wife (thinking there would be a game 7). I know planning anything is probably the last thing on your mind today, but that is what Steve Letson is for (just kidding).

Either way… please let the guys know that at least one fan is thankful for having such a great group to cheer for.

Thanks as always,
Jay
littlelibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

good idea and good post