Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #41
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I know what he was referring to... but the proposed agreement/tradeoff had TWO parts

Option A. be good for a decade

Option B. win ONE championship, but otherwise suck for a decade.

in the 1990s the Mavs achieved the easy portion of choice B, but while I would say that 100% of the population would choose option A over B if there is no championship involved (be good for a decade versus suck for a decade)... if you throw in a championship, option B starts to look quite a bit more appealing (and in that case SOME would choose A, and some would choose B). Since the Mavs never won a championship in the 1990s, A and B weren't really the options presented...
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #42
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. I think he must have been thinking that the Mavericks DID win Game 7 of the WCF against the Lakers...... and went on to a championship then.

I know in my little dream world we did. Although that doomed us for the 90's.....

ok... just kidding.

edit: well, not kidding about being doomed in the 90's.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-29-2008 at 11:26 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #43
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm as true a Mavs fan as any. I bought my first 1/2 season ticket pak in 1983. I survived the 80's and never being quite good enough to best Dr J, or Magic, or Bird. I survived the 90's. The return of Roy Tarpley. Empty Reunion. Losing the most then losing the lottery. Chris Anstey, the best running big man in the NBA.

None of the bad memories outweigh the great ones. And some of the best have been in the 90's. Beating Utah in the 1st round was as sweet as any. Except beating SA in the 2nd.

The hurt of losing the last 2 playoffs forced me to step back. I can never let a team control my emotions the way the Mavs did, sending me into a near depressive state. But I can't stop watching them, or rooting for them either. Its not in my DNA, but it is clearly in my blood.

Maybe that makes me unrealistic. 30-13 looks fine to me, because I see the progress. I believe that Devin Harris will be great, that Josh will keep getting better, that Dirk will be as good a passer as he is a shooter, that Avery has the right stuff. Funny, I'm a Cowboys fan too, but I don't believe in any of them.

Can you really be a fan if you don't believe? If you don't have faith that in spite of their shortcomings, your boys will some how, one day, reach the promised land? If you spend more time carping and backbiting, are you really a fan? Or do we need another term?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #44
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

freakin' amen and +rep
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #45
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I want this team to trade George, Diop and Stack for Jason Kidd. That's almost a sure championship.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #46
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I want this team to trade George, Diop and Stack for Jason Kidd. That's almost a sure championship.

What do we need 4 PGs for?

Who replaces Stack & Diop in the rotation?

What use does New Jersey have for George, Stack & Diop (especially when they're losing their PG)?

I can't fathom a deal for Kidd without Terry or Harris being involved...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-29-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #47
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

One of the thing that has worried me recently is the minutes Josh and Dirk are playing even in blowouts. I learned from the Spurs that keeping your players fresh during the reg season is a big key to postseason success. Funny thing is that even the notorious Suns have finally gotten a clue. Stat and Nash are averaging around 33-34 minutes. Duncan averaged about 32 I think last year. Dirk is almost at 37 and Josh right behind. Rest your team Avery. No need to have them still in the game when you are 20 points ahead of Memphis.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #48
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
What do we need 4 PGs for?

Who replaces Stack & Diop in the rotation?

What use does New Jersey have for George, Stack & Diop (especially when they're losing their PG)?

I can't fathom a deal for Kidd without Terry or Harris being involved...
Harris as the starter with Kidd as a backup. Our 2nd string offense sucks right now.

NJ has no use for those guys. I'm not saying I think it will happen, just that I want it to.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #49
LonghornDub

Edit: Double post

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-29-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #50
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Harris as the starter with Kidd as a backup.
Well, while we're fantasizing: what about Harris & Kidd on the floor at the same time (like Terry & Harris)?

Harris
Kidd
Howard
Dirk
Damp

How many rings would that starting lineup yield over the next few years?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #51
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Well, while we're fantasizing: what about Harris & Kidd on the floor at the same time (like Terry & Harris)?

Harris
Kidd
Howard
Dirk
Damp

How many rings would that starting lineup yield over the next few years?
Yeah, that's equally sick. My only problem with that is that it's essentially 2 PG's, as neither Harris nor Kidd are spectacular jump shooters. It's a bit different with Harris and Terry because Terry can spread the floor a bit.

But still, it wouldn't be bad.