Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice
Default Johnny Flynn

Hey everybody. I heard Johnny Flynn is on the trading block.(atleast according to hoopsworld for what its worth..)

As the Mavs need a backup point guard and a pg for the future as well as the timberwolves needing some defense badly how about:

ian mahinmi
2nd round draft pick

for:
johnny flynn

would you guys do it? rubio will most likely play for the twolves next season so flynn is the odd man out
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't know for sure that Rubio will come next season...it's looking likely, but you don't count on it until it's confirmed. I don't think they trade Flynn this year. They might in the offseason but not now. When it comes to PG assets they have Flynn and Ridnour - Flynn is the piece that can get them more in terms of a trade.

I'm pretty sure it'll take more than that offer to get Flynn. Dude was the SIXTH overall pick just a couple of summer's ago....a second round pick isn't going to work as a part of a deal to get him.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Jonny Flynn: 5.8 PPG / 1.8 RPG / 3.1 APG / 0.2 SPG / 0.1 BPG / .419 FG% / .800 FT% / .333 3P% / 18.3 MPG
Jose Barea: 7.2 PPG / 2.0 RPG / 3.6 APG / 0.3 SPG / 0.0 BPG / .376 FG% / .833 FT% / .143 3P% / 19.3 MPG

Not exactly a "win-now" trade...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-29-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jonny Flynn: 5.8 PPG / 1.8 RPG / 3.1 APG / 0.2 SPG / 0.1 BPG / .419 FG% / .800 FT% / .333 3P% / 18.3 MPG
Jose Barea: 7.2 PPG / 2.0 RPG / 3.6 APG / 0.3 SPG / 0.0 BPG / .376 FG% / .833 FT% / .143 3P% / 19.3 MPG

Not exactly a "win-now" trade...
I'd want to dig deeper on the advanced statistics before jumping to that conclusion.

Those general stats only thing that tells me is he can't do much with a crappy team.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I wonder if we can get Ridnour for cheap if Flynn can come back and prove he is healthy, I have always been a fan of Ridnour
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Flynn is probably a better overall player than Barea. This season's stats don't really mean a lot so far because he's still working his way back from an injury, but I believe last season as a rookie he posted better numbers than Barea probably ever will. So to replace JJ with him would definitely be an upgrade on paper. Not sure how he'd handle the playoffs but I'd be willing to give him a look long-term as possibly a fringe starter or high level role player.

That said, the Wolves are not actively looking to shop him from what I've heard (my entire family is from Minnesota). It's more like every young team in the league is looking for a long-term solution at point guard and knows that Minnesota would listen to offers. I believe that I've read that the Wolves are expecting Rubio to come over next season, so them looking to shore up the 2 or 5 would make sense.

But getting just Mahinmi and a 2nd is idiotic from their standpoint. Just last year he was a #6 pick who happened to have a pretty respectable rookie season (which was simply overshadowed by a strong rookie class). If the Wolves trade Flynn to the Mavericks, they're either A) also getting rid of a contract they don't want, B) getting Roddy, C) getting a handful of picks or D) all of the above.

Now personally, I don't think that Kahn has done a GREAT job with the Wolves, but he has gotten into town and cleared a lot of capspace and will be spending this season evaluating the young guys that he has. I don't expect he's just going to give away a guy that he handpicked just to get rid of him.

Last edited by spreedom; 12-29-2010 at 11:34 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

They need a 5 who can really defend, the problem with that team is other than Wesley Johnson and a few bench guys no one plays defense at a decent rate, Milcic is probably among the worst defender at the 5 even with his blocks
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
They need a 5 who can really defend, the problem with that team is other than Wesley Johnson and a few bench guys no one plays defense at a decent rate, Milcic is probably among the worst defender at the 5 even with his blocks

Totally disagree, no offense. I think Darko, for all of his faults and overhype, is one of the best defensive centers in the league.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny Flynn sucks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

I know that mahinmi and a 2nd rounder is not a high price for flynn, though in my opinion he wont be that hard to get because of his injury and rubio being their future.

mahinmi is a young guy with potential that can play the 4 as well as the 5 and played in two defensive minded and well structured systems in san antonio and dallas. so he has some value. I might add a first round pick instead of a 2nd round pick but given his injury thats pretty much it.

he definitely does not suck. he can get to the basket ( from what i saw from him in college) and is a leader on the floor
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't trade Mahinmi alone for him.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folterkammer View Post
I know that mahinmi and a 2nd rounder is not a high price for flynn, though in my opinion he wont be that hard to get because of his injury and rubio being their future.

mahinmi is a young guy with potential that can play the 4 as well as the 5 and played in two defensive minded and well structured systems in san antonio and dallas. so he has some value. I might add a first round pick instead of a 2nd round pick but given his injury thats pretty much it.

he definitely does not suck. he can get to the basket ( from what i saw from him in college) and is a leader on the floor
I suspect if you offered Mahinmi and a first round pick for Flynn they would fall all over themselves to accept your offer before you came to your senses.

He sucks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He sucks.
Like a Hoover? Like a Dyson? Like Sike's momma?

Come on now... be specific.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote