Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-19-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default Mavs/Suns First round matchup!

I think we will play the Suns in the first round once its all said and done. We will get the 5 spot, they will be the 4 spot because in the end the Kings will win the division.

How do you like this as a first round game? I really like our chances if we are all healthy.

I would rather play the Suns over the Kings.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs/Suns First round matchup!

I would rather play the Suns too, much easier matchuo than the Kings IMO.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I hope they do draw them because we would sweep the series.
I've watched the Suns play a lot this year because they are my local team. I really believe that we could sweep them in a playoff series.
I know that we lost in our 1st meeting this season but we also were without Dampier, Terry, & Finley in that game and only lost by 6.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

And Stevie won't be full strength if we play them, no doubt.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:Mavs/Suns First round matchup!

He never is in playoff time..
Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

i honestly don't believe we will be a 5 seed...i believe at least a 4 seed ahead of either: seattle/sacramento/phoenix. the hardest matchup for us would be against seattle...they have a consistent team that i think will perform down the stretch...phoenix is gonna crumble after the allstar break and sacremento is they're same old self[life without divac gets progressively better]
Old 01-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Give me the Kings any day....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: sp3nc3r13
i honestly don't believe we will be a 5 seed...i believe at least a 4 seed ahead of either: seattle/sacramento/phoenix. the hardest matchup for us would be against seattle...they have a consistent team that i think will perform down the stretch...phoenix is gonna crumble after the allstar break and sacremento is they're same old self[life without divac gets progressively better]
Seattle!? The only reason they will be tough is if they keep on 'beating up' opponents like Dirk. Remember Dirk's reason for going in a slump? He said he was bruised/beat up during that game. They'd be a dirty team to play in the playoffs, that's for sure. I'd really like to see a different opponent than Sacramento, but I think that's who we will play unless Stevie is out for an extended period of time. We need to play the Kings again to really know how we stack up against them. The first game of the season is too hard to use right now.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea i'm with Murph. Give me the Kings anyday of the week especially now with Christie gone and we now have better perimeter defense from Harris and Jet. With that being said I don't see us gettin' the 5th seed.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

If all 5 starters are healthy for the Suns they are damn good. Don't let this slump fool you. Give me the Kings.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #11
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Mavs will get 4th seed - beat the Suns and - if they can avoid the Spurs in the 2nd round(and probably play Seattle)- will lose in the WCF..
Old 01-19-2005, 11:37 PM   #12
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I would much rather play the old Kings rather than the super athletic Suns.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 PM   #13
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

In a 7-game series, only SA concerns me. Kings, Suns or Sonics - We can handle 'em all.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 AM   #14
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
I would much rather play the old Kings rather than the super athletic Suns.
1. Spurs
2. Suns
3. Seattle
4. Mavs
5. Kings (would be ahead of Mavs, but they will have some injuries knowing them)
6. Memphis
7. Lakers
8. Houston/Minny

That would mean Mavs would have this path to the Finals:
1st round: Kings (W)
2nd round: Spurs (Tough)
WCF: Suns (W)

If the Mavs could pass the Spurs, I see them having a nice path to the Finals. The Mavs should be well equiped offensively and defensively to topple the Kings, and the Suns should be out of juice by the WCF. Hmm... I could also see the Kings overtaking the Suns record-wise and Mavs dropping to the 5th seed.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #15
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I want the classic one vs. Sacramento in the 1st round.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #16
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I withhold judgement until after we see our new coach in action for one of the toughest stretches of the season. I thought Nellie would bail after the all-star break, I'm really happy he is moving up the transfer. If Avery gets out of this team their true potential, "only the spurs fear we must". I trully believe that we will live and die by how much Avery is able to put his stamp on this team. All these playoff matchup discussions at this point are irrelavant, but they are fun.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The Kings AGAIN in the first round?? **YAWN** I don't think either the Kings or the Suns will be a cakewalk in the playoffs, but give me the Suns...they're inexperienced, have no bench, and their starters will be worn down by the time April/May gets here.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I fear neither in a longer series but would think that the playoff experience of the Kings's veterans make them slightly tougher...

remember the Suns will be a bunch of Playoff babes and their style will get cramped in the playoffs

but either way, I'll take the Mavs

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I don't think the Kings would be a yawner. It's time for the Mavs to beat them decisively once and for ever after.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #20
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

mavs will get torched..

same thing with the kings..that crazy passing offense that they run is just too much for don nelson to figure out

i'd play anyone, except the suns/kings in the first round..hell bring on the spurs..
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

you base this opinion on what?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #22
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

West is definitely interesting this year.

I don't think Spurs is dominating. Sure, they have the best record now but last year they choked really bad in the playoffs against the Lakers. Anything could happen.

I think many of you guys hate Nash too much. A lot of negative views on Suns seem to stem from the hatred that Nash left the team for MORE MONEY. I don't blame you but Nash is LOVED in PHX. He is considered the MVP so far because he has helped his team to an amazing record just like what he did for Mavs.

Trash Nash any way you like. If Suns beats Mavs in the playoffs, you guys are going to eat your own words.

Having said that, I do like Mavs' chance. I think this team is deep and if we can have more chemistry, I think we can beat any West team and Dirk will be the MVP!!

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #23
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

The fact is that Steve will probably be outplayed in the playoffs. Look at last year against Bibby. Bibby torched Nash because Nash didn't have the energy that late in the season.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #24
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
against the suns - mavs do not slow the game down..they will play run and gun with phoenix and phoenix has better athletes and is better suited for that..mavs will lose..they'll be lucky to get one game

kings - mavs won in '02 after webber went down...they got beat down in '01 and they got beat down in '03..i don't see anything changing come playoff time

if there is one team the mavs WANT to play, it's probably the twolves..
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Quote:
against the suns - mavs do not slow the game down..they will play run and gun with phoenix and phoenix has better athletes and is better suited for that..mavs will lose..they'll be lucky to get one game

kings - mavs won in '02 after webber went down...they got beat down in '01 and they got beat down in '03..i don't see anything changing come playoff time

if there is one team the mavs WANT to play, it's probably the twolves..
you are thinking of a different Mavs team my friend. The 04/05 squad is a drastically different team.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #26
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Dirk is playing better than he did in 02 which was amazing. If he raises his game in the playoffs as usual, you will see an incredible display. Sac is dangerous, but we are the better team. Phoenix will fall becuase Nash will not be able to play 40 minutes for 7 games and be effective. Terry and Harris will wear him down, if he is even healthy by then. This of course is predicated on the Mavs being healthy going into the playoffs.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #27
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Quote:
Rakesh, you can't be serious!? Do you seriously believe we can't win a game against the Suns in a 7-game series. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

We played 'em pretty close without Finley, Terry and Damp. They got 5 excellent starters but where's the depth?
You can win in the regular season with 5 guys but come playoffs teams need a solid 8-9 player rotation.

Here's what would happen in a series:

PG: Terry/Harris gonna' hound Nash into several TOs (remember the 10)
Center: Expect Damp to bull-doze Amare down low OR Bradley to man the middle of a suffocating zone OR Benga to chase Amare all over (3options)
PF: Marion gives some trouble defensively but expect Dirk to rise above the Marion in the playoffs.
Swingmen: Josh/Fin/Stack/Quis vs Joe Johnson/QRich (Nuff said)

I expect a 4-1 Dallas victory. Anything less would be uncivilized, don't you think? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #28
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

I think Suns is going to get Jim Jackson soon, trading away 3 useless bench players.

Not sure how much JJ can help Suns but anything is better than their bench-less depth.

I don't know who would win... I'll make my judgement on the 2nd matchup. The first matchup isn't really clear because Dirk was in foul trouble and Mavs was struggling with chemistry problem. I've seen a few Mavs games recently and I think their chemistry has definitely picked up. I like Mavs' chance to win but not sure if I would like to see Suns VS Mavs because I root for both Dirk and Steve.

What I would like to see is Suns beating Sonics and Mavs beating Spurs!!

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Suns is going to get Jim Jackson soon, trading away 3 useless bench players.
before or after Dirk leaves Dallas?

edit: oops, I didnt see that there was an actual rumor.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The first matchup isn't really clear because Dirk was in foul trouble and Mavs was struggling with chemistry problem.
and Damp, Terry, and I believe Fin were all out with injury....that'll dampen your overall team chemistry a bit I'd say.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #31
withoutmalice

withoutmalice is on a distinguished road

Nash might be "all that" in PHO but J. Terry is right now the only player in the league shooting at least 50% from the field, 40% from the 3-point line and 80% from the free-throw line (Nash is close though as he hits on 2 out of 3 of those with just his 3-point shooting lacking (at 38.5%)). Terry's 52% shooting from the PG position is downright John Stockton-esque...
withoutmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #32
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

jet vs nash / bibby
fin vs qrich / cat
jho vs johnson / peja
dirk vs marion / webb
damp vs amare / miller
stack vs jj / bjacks

regular season nash compared to post season nash are totally different players.. without nash, the suns are nothing.. we would literally suffocate nash and blow out the suns in a 7game series. the kings have plenty of playoff experience and now have another scoring option in catino mobley, they are without a doubt the tougher matchup in the first round for the mavs imo.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #33
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I'll just say this.. anyone who says that Dampier and/or Bradley could even CONTAIN Amare, let alone shut him down, it insane. Likewise with Harris/JT "suffocating" Nash. Nash has burned every elite PG he's played this year, and Harris/JT are FAR from elite. Phoenix will still be able to play up-tempo ball in the postseason, and if we meet them in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns swept. Only team I think the Suns fear in the postseason is the Spurs.. and that's only because the Spurs are far and away the best team in basketball.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #34
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll just say this.. anyone who says that Dampier and/or Bradley could even CONTAIN Amare, let alone shut him down, it insane. Likewise with Harris/JT "suffocating" Nash. Nash has burned every elite PG he's played this year, and Harris/JT are FAR from elite. Phoenix will still be able to play up-tempo ball in the postseason, and if we meet them in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns swept. Only team I think the Suns fear in the postseason is the Spurs.. and that's only because the Spurs are far and away the best team in basketball.
Nash has consistently struggled under the pressure of good playoff defense. By the time the playoffs roll around we should be able to throw a combination of JT, Devin, Quis and Josh at Steve. If you think there's anything in Steve's history that suggests that he'll be able to weather the kind of fresh-legged, ball-hawking pressure the Mavs would throw at him to play the way he's played up to now you're insane. There's also the matter of him having to guard the Mavs' points (there's no Bruce Bowen on the Mavs that the Suns can hide him on). As for Amare, two things. One, Damp did a solid job on him before he went out with the injury in the first game. Two, if you take Nash out of his rhythm you're effectively taking Amare out of his rhythm as well. He's still a very good player, and he's going to get his, but at this stage he's little more than a finisher. Focus on the guy that does the creating for that team, and they're beatable.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #35
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Just think of how good Devin will be come playoff time. We'll have some very NICE PG depth, especially if Marquis is fully healthy and Armstrong is well too.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

I don't think of Quis as point guard depth, but I know what you mean....

I do think he could give a guard like Nash headaches though...there is no way Nash could guard Quis and a deffinite probability that Qius's length and quickness could give Nash trouble on the Deffensive end...