Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hoiberg to have surgery

Quote:
Timberwolves guard Fred Hoiberg will undergo aortic vessel surgery next week at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. The surgery, to replace some lining in Hoiberg's aortic vessel, is considered serious, and it's unknown how much of next season the shooting guard will miss, or whether he'll miss the entire season.

The aorta is the main vessel from the heart. The concern in Hoiberg's case is that the aortic lining is expanding and might tear if not artificially replaced. The surgery is a precautionary measure.

The Timberwolves have known about Hoiberg's condition since a postseason examination and encouraged him to seek medical attention. The surgeon who will perform the surgery is considered among the elite in the country and performed heart bypass surgery on Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor six years ago. Taylor recommended the surgeon to Hoiberg.

It's unclear whether the Timberwolves would receive a medical exemption for a replacement for Hoiberg while he recovers. Hoiberg, 32, who was paid $1.6 million this year, is guaranteed $1.76 million next season.

Hoiberg, who averaged 5.8 points a game last season, appears certain to miss the start of next season, and his absence could affect the Wolves' plans for Tuesday's NBA draft. It might even mean trying to re-sign free agent Latrell Sprewell, who was paid $14.6 million last season.

Hoiberg and new Wolves coach Dwane Casey have discussed the surgery. What the Wolves want most is for Hoiberg to be healthy, and basketball at this point has become secondary.
- From Charlie Waters
Looks like Minnesota may keep Latrell if Hoiberg can't play next year. Or they will try to replace him through the draft. Either way it sure does stifle their ability to put **good** pieces around Garnett.

And I feel sorry for Hoiberg. I love the way he plays.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Hoiberg to have surgery

Hoiberg plays ball the way he should. He's aggressive but not selfish on offense and comes in and plays his hardest whether it's for 30 minutes or 3 minutes. I hope the Wolves keep Spree, because I'm in the minority that believes he brings a lot of good things to a team (although I'd rather not discuss it here) and as you said, it looks like they may very well do so.

Get well soon, Mayor!
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote