Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pete Sampras retires

Link

Thanks , Pete for bringing glory to US tennis.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Pete Sampras retires

One of my all time favorites second only to McEnroe.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Thanks for presiding over the vanishing of tennis from america's sports landscape.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I just saw the recording on the TV and it was a very emotional moment. He was crying all the time.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I know the guy has just retired and all, and I acknowledge he was great for his time (when tennis is at its lowest point in years), but the guy doesn't even have the career grandslam. He never even reached the finals of the French Open. He's a nice guy and all, but I was never that impressed (except by his sweet clean wife). He had a killer serve and not much else. And Sampras' type of game is exactly what is wrong with tennis today.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Dooby, How many players had career grandslams in mens tennis.

Ivan Lendl, a great player, could never win wimbledon.

This guys was #1 seed for a long time.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Lendl at least made it to the finals of wimbledon.

Agassi has the career grand slam and 4 others. That is it. Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe or Jimmy Connors never did it.

I just look at Sampras and am underwhelmed. He won a lot of tennis tournaments with his serve. His closest competition was Agassi, who doesn't impress me much either. He did nothing to advance his sport.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:03 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

sampras won wimbledon a record tying 7 times, to go with 5 usopen titles, and two australian open titles. Behind him in the all-time Grand Slam list are Row Emerson(12), Bjorn Borg(11), Rod Liver(11) and Bill Tilden(10).

I am not sure that just by not winning French Open or not performing good takes away from anything he has done. He is the top in the all-time Grand Slam titles. I am not sure who else will have a better career than this.

He was a top seed each consecutive week for 5 years.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:15 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

I am not saying having never won the French it takes away from what Sampras has accomplished.

I just find Sampras incredibly boring to watch and also boring as a personality. Plus tennis is just at such a low point. As evidenced by the fact that he is retiring and there are no male stars to fill the void (small void, though it may be). Who's going to pick up the slack? Roddick? Federerererererer?

I just looked at the ATP rankings. Agassi is no. 1? This sport has almost totally disapeared from the sports landscape.

Old 08-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I think Pete was great for tennis. I'm sure he motivated a few boys and girls to want to play tennis. I agree with Dooby that men's tennis is at a low point now. I would rather watch women's tennis more than the men's because it's more compeitive. The one player that is exciting to watch on the men's side is Layton Hewitt because of his speed to the ball. It's almost impossible to get it past him.

Haven't watched men's tennis in a couple of years is Layton even still playing?
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I liked Pete Sampras and all, but no way is he the greatest of all time. His biggest fault was his inability to finish an opponent.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
I liked Pete Sampras and all, but no way is he the greatest of all time. His biggest fault was his inability to finish an opponent.
Can you explain what you mean by inablilty to finish an opponent. He has won more Grand Slam titles than any one who has ever played tennis. Yes, he liked to keep his personal charisma to himself and not share with us but who cares. As I said he has done things noone else did.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:20 PM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
[i]I just find Sampras incredibly boring to watch and also boring as a personality. Plus tennis is just at such a low point. As evidenced by the fact that he is retiring and there are no male stars to fill the void (small void, though it may be). Who's going to pick up the slack? Roddick? Federerererererer?
Dooby, I am not sure who else was more interesting to watch other than Mc Enroe. What do I say. Pete did keep his personal life to himself but it all depends what you consider as boring. This guy has single handedly changed the way the game is played. He is so much sportive and still be competitive.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:56 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dooby, I am not sure who else was more interesting to watch other than Mc Enroe. What do I say. Pete did keep his personal life to himself but it all depends what you consider as boring. This guy has single handedly changed the way the game is played. He is so much sportive and still be competitive.
Pete changed the way the game is played? He did? I wasn't aware of that. I'd say, like golf, the equipment has changed the way the game is played more than anything else. I would also add that I don't think the game has changed for the better.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #15
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Yes pete was the player to start the concept of great serve(power server) alongwith good rally. If you see all the players now who are making noise, you would realize they have similar approach as pete does to the game. I rarely see "andre agassi" type of player.

There were guys like Ivanisevic who had powerful serve but did not win but one championship. Even , pat cash, has similar serve but won only one title. But to have that kind of serve and still be on top for five years is commendable.

I am not sure what your point is, you seem to admire Pete's game but say that he has not done much for the game. Can you suggest what he should have done to make this game better?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #16
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

All the greats are slowly going away. Michael Chang also officially ended his career today by losing his US Open match. Obviously, he didn't have as dazzling a resume as Sampras or Agassi, but I always liked him.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 PM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Can you explain what you mean by inablilty to finish an opponent. He has won more Grand Slam titles than any one who has ever played tennis. Yes, he liked to keep his personal charisma to himself and not share with us but who cares. As I said he has done things noone else did.
It always seemed like he'd have to win in 5 sets or 4sets. He never dominated like Martina, or Serena, or Agassi. I like the guy, but he's not number one.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:10 PM   #18
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
It always seemed like he'd have to win in 5 sets or 4sets. He never dominated like Martina, or Serena, or Agassi. I like the guy, but he's not number one.

Lets leave martina or serena( women's tennis). I have never seen a player other than sampras who dominated the opponent and won in 3-4 sets more than anyone. Sampras has always dominated agassi dating back to last years US OPEN. I have not seen Sampras playing too many 5 set games.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:46 AM   #19
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Pete Sampras- Champion, all time hall of fame tennis player. I just don't enjoy tennis when he is playing. No emotion, the guy is a robot. Give me Agassi or Rafter.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:21 AM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

mna, i always liked to watch malvai washington play. now that was exciting.