Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stars sign Modano to extension.....CBA implications

Associated Press

DALLAS -- Dallas Stars center Mike Modano, the team's career leader in nearly every significant category, signed a one-year contract extension Wednesday that prevents him from becoming a free agent until the summer of 2005.

With the league's labor situation after this season uncertain and potentially combative, this deal likely bridges the end of the current collective bargaining agreement and the start of the next one. That keeps Modano from being in limbo during a possible lockout next season and could make it easier for a long-term deal to be worked out later.

Modano was named the team's captain earlier this summer after longtime leader Derian Hatcher signed with Detroit.

A two-way force, Modano has the most goals, assists, points, game-winning goals, short-handed goals and games played in franchise history.

Taken first overall in the 1988 entry draft, Modano is one of two remaining players from the team's days as the Minnesota North Stars. He was on the Stanley Cup Finals teams in 1991, 1999 and 2000 and played a major role in winning the '99 championship.

Modano, who will earn $9 million this season, had 28 goals and 57 assists last season. The 85 points were third-most in his 14 full seasons. Last season, he also became the fifth American-born player to reach 1,000 career points.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm happy. One less thing to worry about next year. Kapanen was also signed yesterday to a 1-yr, $500,000 contract, which means all they have to do is lock up Turco & call it an offseason. Training camp in 3 weeks.

Edit: AP story is out after the press conference. Mo's deal is worth $9.5mil and he DOES have a no-trade clause. Not that they'd trade him.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Stars sign Modano to extension.....CBA implications

I am really happy. Also He is committed to retire as a dallas star.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Stars sign Modano to extension.....CBA implications

i am glad to hear it. i really, really like modano. and it has as much to do with his play as his looks, drbio. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:02 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
i am glad to hear it. i really, really like modano. and it has as much to do with his play as his looks, drbio. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
sheesh...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

At least you mentioned his play. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And for the record...I'm a big Mo fan too.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote