Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-25-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Cowboys,Ravens, and Jets Pass on Brunell Trade

Monday, August 25, 2003

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Even as Jacksonville Jaguars officials remain purposely vague about the status of quarterback Mark Brunell, and tap-danced around the issue of job security as the regular season approaches, there was yet another indication on Monday that they might consider ending the 10-year veteran's tenure with the club.

League sources confirmed to ESPN.com that a high-ranking Jaguars personnel official phoned the New York Jets on Monday to see if they might be interest in adding Brunell through a trade. The Jets apparently said they were not interested in such a deal.

But the mere fact the Jaguars attempted to initiate trade talks, or simply inquired about outside interest in Brunell, did not augur well for his future. There are some within the Jacksonville organization who feel the team would be better served cutting ties to Brunell as they did with coach Tom Coughlin, and rebuilding with a younger quarterback.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen also reported that Brunell was offered to the Cowboys and Ravens, who also declined.

The Jaguars invested their first-round pick in this year's draft on Byron Leftwich. And second-year quarterback David Garrard, who has performed well in camp, might be one of the NFL's most improved players this summer.

First-year coach Jack Del Rio told the team's web site that "nothing has changed" in his stance about the Jaguars' starting quarterback. But pressed on the issue, Del Rio could not be pinned down. Said Del Rio: "Right now, he's our quarterback."

Certainly trading or releasing Brunell - and rumors have abounded in Jacksonville over the past few days concerning both scenarios - would signal the end of an era there. That would officially toss the franchise into rebuilding mode, a moniker owner Wayne Weaver has attempted to avoid, as he tries to market his team and sell tickets.

Brunell, 32, represents a tether to the past, a time when the Jaguars advanced to the AFC championship game in only their second season of existence.

During the spring, in dealing with Brunell's contract, it became increasingly clear that the upcoming season would be his final one in a Jacksonville uniform. But he has not looked good in camp and Garrard has closed the gap. There is little doubt, as well, that Leftwich is the face of the team's future.

Brunell is scheduled to earn a base salary of $6.75 million in 2003. His base salary for '04 is $6.5 million but he is also due a $2 million bonus if he is still on the Jacksonville roster next March 1.

Acquired by Jacksonville in a trade with Green Bay in 1995, Brunell has been the Jags' starter since he arrived. For his career, he has completed 2,141 of 3,557 pass attempts for 25,309 yards, with 142 touchdown passes, 86 interceptions and a passer rating of 85.1. He has appeared in 119 games and started 114 of them.
Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Cowboys,Ravens, and Jets Pass on Brunell Trade

Cowboys can do this if they want Galloway back.

I am not sure how the salaries work in NFL and how the trades are done though.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Brunell at this point is an overpriced aging QB whose best days are behind him. Good move to pass on him at this point.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I normally agree with you, Doc...especially regarding QB's...but I really think Brunell (while aging and being overpriced) is 10X better that CHad or Quincy. He's a true caretaker in the Parcell's mold. If you could solidify the line (i know that's a big "if") - he would bring incredible stability to the O. Hopefully, the running game would come along.

If the defense would play (I know I have written the word "if" 100x in this post) up to speed this team might actually compete.

Would Brunell be phenomenal? No. WOuld he be a dramatic improvement and bring stability? Hell yeah!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Xerxes, I think Doc is right on the money. Brunell at this stage is an overpaid QB. Please do not use the comparision of any QB with cowboy QBs. I can't think of anyone worse than our Qbs.

As you said is he better than Qor H --yes
Is he overpriced - Yes.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Xersex- you misunderstood my point I think. Brunell would immediately make the Cowboys better. However, for what we would have to pay him, he is not worth it. Let Qtard blow his chance and Hutchisuck fumble away his chance and garner in a top pick next season. Sign a vet guy at QB who won't lose games and who has a chance at playing for a few years and take a good QB or RB with the high pick.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

As I said I will take any QB who wants to take back Galloway and Larry Allen's contract.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:21 AM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Last season he had 17 touchdowns and 7 interceptions, Id pick him up if he was cut. Brunell is only 32 that aint old. Dribio old rich gannon is like 39 and he took the raiders to the superbowl.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:10 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

True about Gannon. But Brunells contract is top heavy. Don't get me wrong. Bringing Brunell here right now would probably result in a couple more wins and I wouldn't mind having him. He would be about 100000000000000 times better than the spares we have to use right now. I guess my real point was that the Cowboys are going to be bad this year and that getting a high dollar QB wasn't going to make a significant impact for this season. As it stands now with Qbust and Suckison we stand a good chance for a high draft pick...if not the #1. With Brunell, we probably lock ourselves into the 9-12 pick range. Still good, but it depends on what pieces Parcells thinks he needs ultimately.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Last season he had 17 touchdowns and 7 interceptions, Id pick him up if he was cut. Brunell is only 32 that aint old. Dribio old rich gannon is like 39 and he took the raiders to the superbowl.

Gannon actually had a O-Line. NO way a aging qb would make it with this o-line.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote