Old 08-26-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jim Wacker Dies.....

Former TCU football coach Jim Wacker dies
01:19 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

From Staff Reports

Former TCU football coach Jim Wacker, known for his enthusiasm and fun-loving spirit, died Tuesday at his home in San Marcos, Texas from complications from cancer. He was 66.

Wacker, who coached TCU from 1983-91, led a program that had won just 17 games the previous 10 seasons to an 8-3 record and the Bluebonnet Bowl against West Virginia in 1984.

Wacker also was credited with uncovering a payment plan to TCU players in 1985 that was in place before he arrived at the school. He dismissed seven players, including star running back Kenneth Davis, from his team and reported the violations to the NCAA. The program lost 30 scholarships and wouldn't have a winning record again until 1991, going 7-4.

"He made me understand that there was more to life than football, that there are values that you carry with you in life," said Davis, now Bishop Dunne football coach.

Davis was recruited by F.A. Dry and was going into his sophomore season when Wacker was hired. He also had knee surgery before his sophomore season.

"First thing I said when I saw him was that I was going to transfer," said Davis, who played nine seasons in the NFL. "It was changing of the guard. You see this guy coming in and he's going to do all this and all that. I was a young kid, frightened, and I had just come off major knee surgery. I called (Nebraska) Coach Tom Osborne and he told me to honor my commitment. But I was glad to make the decision to ride the wave at TCU."

Wacker left TCU after nine seasons with a record of 40-58-2. He coached Minnesota from 1992-96, going 16-39 for a career record of 160-130-3. Wacker also did television and radio work after he retired as Minnesota coach in 1996.

"I've heard nothing but positive things about Coach Wacker from those he was most closely associated with at TCU," TCU athletics director Eric Hyman said. "His enthusiasm and his energy were contagious. He was always very positive and upbeat. TCU people have very fond memories of him during his tenure in Fort Worth. He touched a lot of lives and lived each day to the fullest. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

DMN File
Jim Wacker celebrates a TCU win over Houston.

Wacker also coached Texas Lutheran (1971-75), North Dakota State (1976-78) and Southwest Texas (1979-82). Wacker, a Detroit native and son of a Lutheran minister, led Southwest Texas to NCAA Division II national championships in 1981-82. He also won NAIA titles at Texas Lutheran in 1974-75.

Wacker served as athletic director at Southwest Texas from 1998-2001.

Southwest Texas will dedicate its football season in Wacker's memory. All Bobcat players will wear the initials “JW” on their helmets this season.

"He was an inspirational leader not only to the players who played for him, but for all of us," Southwest Texas president Denise Trauth said. "He touched so many lives. We have lost a very dear member of the SWT family.”

Wacker was first diagnosed with a rare form of thymus gland cancer in 2000 and retired in February 2002.

Under hospice care, Wacker was visited by dozens of friends, former players and assistant coaches over the last few weeks.

"He was always excited about life and wanted you to live it to the fullest," Davis said.

Wacker told The Dallas Morning News in 1997 that he was glad he got out of coaching.

"You have some pangs, and you have some memories," Wacker said. "But the good news is, I was ready to get off the treadmill."

Wacker is survived by his wife, Lil, and three sons, Mike, Steve and Tom.

A funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at Southwest Texas State. A graveside service is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Friday at San Marcos City Cemetery. Visitation is scheduled for 6 p.m.-8 p.m. Thursday at Pennington Funeral Home in San Marcos.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Bobcat Athletic Foundation/Geography Endowment; Texas Lutheran University football; TCU football; the American Cancer Society; Lutheran Social Services; or the Hope Hospice of New Braunfels.

Dallas Web Staff writers Ted Gangi and John Banks contributed to this report.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Jim Wacker Dies.....

This is sad. I went to a lot of TCU games during the Wacker years. He was a good man.

Funny how they quote Ken Davis and don't allude to any scandals.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Jim Wacker Dies.....

TCU had the Wacker Backers as I recall. Going into Fort Worth to play was always fun. Of course, when I played we used to kill TCU. It might be a better game nowadays.

RIP Wacker.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote