Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Warning...Negative me personality could be coming out

Just providing a fair warning...I'm fighting a fairly difficult down emotion and could be for a few days.

I've got 3 dogs, and it appears that my middle dog (9 years old) got herself into some rat poisoning...she's gotten very sick and I'm afraid that she may not make it. Needless to say, I'm a bit of a wreck and I know that when I fall into these massive mood swings I can say some pretty crazy stuff on these boards.

Just a note, these boards are a coping mechanism so that I'm reasonably sane in real life...bottom line, at the moment I've got a very sick dog...I'm hoping and praying that her body fights it off, but I have no idea of how much Rat Poison she got into.

For some, it's just a dog...for me, it's part of my family. The vet can't do anything...it's all about wait and see.

I'll keep y'all posted, however this turns out...at the moment, I'm sensing an old yeller moment and it's brought me to a real downer.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your dog - hope everything turns out alright...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Thanks UD...this stuff really sucks...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
AngieO41

AngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to beholdAngieO41 is a splendid one to behold

Awww, I hope she gets better!
AngieO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your pup pulls through 92.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
92bDad
Platinum Member

The vet gave us some Vitamin K and explained that it might help, but it will take the next 24-48 hours to stabilize. Then it could be the Vitamin twice a day for 6 weeks minimum.

Wont go into the detail as to what this is doing to her, but praying that this works and she makes it!!!

Thanks guys for the thoughts and wishes. I'm holding onto the hope in order to keep my self sane.

She's been laying at my feet all day and anytime I move she looks to see where I go, if I sit somewhere else, she moves and comes over to me.

I'll post any updates and look forward to her recovery!!! FWIW, my dog's name is Joy...She along with my other two dogs are rescued dogs.

Good night folks, until tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to be a cat person, but that description makes me want a dog

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope it works out 92bdad. My dogs are my family too.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
92bDad
Platinum Member

The positive, Joy has made it through the night. She's not eating, but she is now drinking water. She's still depressed and staying where I am at. Reading up on Google...pretty scary stuff, but making it through the night is a good sign...at least I'm telling my self this to not think about the worst case.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

dogs can be resilient little bastards...hope she continues to improve
Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
92bDad
Platinum Member

Got Joy to eat a little!!! Acted like I was playing catch with her...1 food pellet at a time. She ate about 10 or so bites, then started playing catch and release. She's drinking water again...so in all, it's a little progress.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Got Joy to eat a little!!! Acted like I was playing catch with her...1 food pellet at a time. She ate about 10 or so bites, then started playing catch and release. She's drinking water again...so in all, it's a little progress.
That's actually huge progress.

Drinking water was a good sign because dogs tend to embrace death when it comes knocking, but her eating is kinda like Roddy shooting 3-pointers with the team - it's only a matter of time until everything is back to the way it was before...

I don't want to say you're through this yet, but you're heading the right direction. She probably won't eat much over the next couple days, but it sounds like she has enough fight in her to pull through this.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
92bDad
Platinum Member

One more night!!! Joy had a tough time breathing, but this morning she ate a full serving out of her bowl and appeared to have a bit more energy. She's back to laying down...looks like the energy is about a 5-10 minute burst and then she looks exhausted.

As UD states, not out of the woods, but huge progress!!!

Hoping for big progress today and tomorrow, as I go out of town on Sunday and I have to turn control over to my wife and older son. If anything bad happens, I want to be here to be the one that has to deal with the details...but at the moment, I am optimistic that Joy will pull through.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #15
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Good luck, happy to see dog doing better. Just like DIRKFTW I am a cat person
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
92bDad
Platinum Member

Well, I'm now on the road and when I left, Joy was doing much much much better. Looks like she will make it, now it's a matter of running the medicine through the full process and then to gradually bring off the meds.

On a separate note, In the past I have had cats. Although I like cats, I prefer that they belong to other people. I'm thrilled to have both Cat and Dog people in this world!!!

Take care, time for me to enjoy some time in NY, but can't wait to get home!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
92bDad
Platinum Member

Back home, and my dog Joy has made it!!! Now it appears to be a matter of sticking to the medication until the Vet gives a complete clean bill of health.

THANK YOU to each of you for the encouraging words!!!