Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #161
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Kaman is massively overrated by Mavs fans. Is there a center in the NBA with slower feet? Dirk and Kaman frontcourt will get exposed on defense and Brand will be the starting C by January even though he's undersized.

Good job by MBT getting fans excited though. Kaman has always been popular with the fanbase.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #162
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
I must admit that there is no way I could have predicted the way this thread has gone. From Kaman to gender-specific insults to genital mutilation. New members are probably sucking their thumbs, in the fetal position, while hiding under their bed after reading this thread... only at D-M.com
Us old timers that have been around awhile weren't scared off. Actually, after reading this thread yesterday, I went home and mutilated my genitals just so I could fit in with the rest of you.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #163
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_Jeff_| View Post
Kaman is massively overrated by Mavs fans. Is there a center in the NBA with slower feet? Dirk and Kaman frontcourt will get exposed on defense and Brand will be the starting C by January even though he's undersized.

Good job by MBT getting fans excited though. Kaman has always been popular with the fanbase.

ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #164
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:

And I'm sure you were excited about our 2011 team going into the season, right? Have a little faith in the MBT. Everyone complained when we signed Chandler, but we found a way to make him work in Rick's system.

Kaman may have slow feet, but he has an offensive game. A lot of centers have slow feet. I guess we will truly find out if he's overrated once the season starts. If he gives us offense and holds his own on defense then he is better than Haywood.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #165
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
And I'm sure you were excited about our 2011 team going into the season, right? Have a little faith in the MBT. Everyone complained when we signed Chandler, but we found a way to make him work in Rick's system.

Kaman may have slow feet, but he has an offensive game. A lot of centers have slow feet. I guess we will truly find out if he's overrated once the season starts. If he gives us offense and holds his own on defense then he is better than Haywood.
I'd rather have Haywood TBQH. Check back in January and see where the forum stands. The amnesty was about contract length and financial flexibility, not about an upgrade at the position.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #166
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd rather have Haywood TBQH. Check back in January and see where the forum stands. The amnesty was about contract length and financial flexibility, not about an upgrade at the position.
Posts like this should result in a mandatory banning from this site.

Seriously, this might be the stupidest thing I've ever read... You trolling?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #167
nodir41

nodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation

Quote:
Have u ever watched a single Mavs Game the last 3 years?
nodir41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #168
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

@|_Jeff_|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PygS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2AdKw6qqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-wIU9KKUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI7NLwMl9M

Last edited by markus1234; 07-16-2012 at 07:26 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #169
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why folks are jumping on this guy, folks have been arguing that Haywood was a fine starting center for a year now.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #170
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Brands "feet" are pretty slow if that's what you're nitpicking here. On top of yes he is undersized. I don't see your prediction unless Kaman is injured.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #171
Dale4Saul2Red0

Dale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I dont know why folks are jumping on this guy, folks have been arguing that Haywood was a fine starting center for a year now.
You know that wasn't me.

People get mad because poster above said Kaman isn't all that. Kaman isn't all that I agree, I think he's better than Haywood but not by a crazy lot. They both do things differently. I like the offensive boost Kaman will bring from the center position and I know his defense is crap but you aren't going to find perfect guys on 1 year deals. Every player has strengths and weakness, our championship team had them. It's about a coach using a teams strengths to their advantage and covering up the weaknesses as best as possible.
Dale4Saul2Red0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #172
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I get that your ass is still chapped about Chandler, but don't go putting words in people's mouths...

Folks on this board have been arguing that Haywood is underrated as a player (especially during our championship run), but that certainly doesn't imply that he's better than Kaman in any way, shape or form - like this Jeff guy is suggesting. The biggest "defense" of Haywood has been that the Mavericks shouldn't/wouldn't amnesty him just for the sake of amnestying him when Mahinmi and Wright are the only viable alternatives on the roster... Chris Kaman is most certainly a viable alternative, light years better than Haywood in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Oh, and Haywood IS a starting center in this league - he's just more suited to be starting for a team with the Bobcats' aspirations, not the Mavericks'...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #173
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Kaman's a good NBA center. He's nothing great. But, he's better than what the team had to offer last year. So is Brand. That's a start at least.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #174
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Kaman's a good NBA center. He's nothing great. But, he's better than what the team had to offer last year. So is Brand. That's a start at least.
He's certainly no Tyson Chandler, but his overall talent level (when healthy) is definitely a lot closer to Chandler's than Haywood's...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #175
Murphy3
Guru

I think Brand and Kaman will both enjoy playing with Dirk. When was the last time the Mavs had a center that could actually create just a bit to play alongside Dirk?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #176
Underdog

Quote:
I think Brand and Kaman will both enjoy playing with Dirk. When was the last time the Mavs had a center that could actually create just a bit to play alongside Dirk?
I once had a dream that Shawn Bradley could create his own offense - does that count?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #177
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:

Haywood put up 5 PPG last season, 6 RPG, 0.4 APG and shot .469 from the charity stripe. He got 1 BPG. Not worth $8 million. Kaman more than doubled his PPG, had one more RPG, shot 25% better on FT and was much better at blocking. He also had 2 APG (not as important, but not bad for a C).

Yes, I am willing to bet that Kaman will be much better than that in January. He's an upgrade in all the listed categories.

The best thing Haywood ever did for us is hurt his hip. It made Chandler an Ian step up when it mattered most.

Also, his contract would have been irrelevant had he performed better. He wasn't worth either the money or years, so he was amnestied. It came down to performance.

And for what it's worth, Kaman is three years younger than Haywood.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #178
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

How does his Dirk taste?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #179
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see how you could give the nod to Haywood over Kaman.

Haywood: Career Stats
  • 7.2 ppg
  • 59% ft%
  • 6.2 rpg
  • 1.4 bpg
  • 0.6 apg

Kaman: Career Stats
  • 11.9 ppg
  • 74% ft%
  • 8.3 rpg
  • 1.4 bpg
  • 1.4 apg
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #180
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I get that your ass is still chapped about Chandler, but don't go putting words in people's mouths...

Folks on this board have been arguing that Haywood is underrated as a player (especially during our championship run), but that certainly doesn't imply that he's better than Kaman in any way, shape or form - like this Jeff guy is suggesting. The biggest "defense" of Haywood has been that the Mavericks shouldn't/wouldn't amnesty him just for the sake of amnestying him when Mahinmi and Wright are the only viable alternatives on the roster... Chris Kaman is most certainly a viable alternative, light years better than Haywood in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Oh, and Haywood IS a starting center in this league - he's just more suited to be starting for a team with the Bobcats' aspirations, not the Mavericks'...
Whatever dude and you are employing some pretty selective memory here. In arguing why Tyson wasn't worth keeping folks on this board, I dont recall if it were you because I don't pay much attention to you. But folks that I do, Thiggy and g_master have certainly argued the merits of Haywood.

Why you want to bust someone's chops for thinking Haywood will be a better center for this team than kaman is beyond me. Haywood isn't much but voicing that they think he is better than another amnesty case doesn't seem far enough out of the realm of possibilities to be called a troll, idiot and dumbest post ever.

I'm sure you have much dumber ones.

And for what it is worth I expect brand to push kaman pretty hard for the starting spot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #181
Underdog

Quote:
Whatever dude and you are employing some pretty selective memory here. In arguing why Tyson wasn't worth keeping folks on this board, I dont recall if it were you because I don't pay much attention to you. But folks that I do, Thiggy and g_master have certainly argued the merits of Haywood.
Speaking of selective memory...

The #1 argument against keeping Tyson Chandler was his $14.5M/year price tag that would have kept us from pursuing any other big name free agent over the next couple years - NOBODY argued that Haywood was a better player. Nobody.

Seriously, dude - your bit has gotten old.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #182
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I really don't see how you could give the nod to Haywood over Kaman.

Haywood: Career Stats
  • 7.2 ppg
  • 59% ft%
  • 6.2 rpg
  • 1.4 bpg
  • 0.6 apg

Kaman: Career Stats
  • 11.9 ppg
  • 74% ft%
  • 8.3 rpg
  • 1.4 bpg
  • 1.4 apg
Let's add Brand and Chandler so we can settle all controversy

Brand: Career Stats
  • 18.3 ppg
  • 74% ft%
  • 9.4 rpg
  • 1.9 bpg
  • 2.3 apg

Chandler: Career Stats
  • 8.6 ppg
  • 63% ft%
  • 8.9 rpg
  • 1.4 bpg
  • 0.8 apg
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #183
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Speaking of selective memory...

The #1 argument against keeping Tyson Chandler was his $14.5M/year price tag that would have kept us from pursuing any other big name free agent over the next couple years - NOBODY argued that Haywood was a better player. Nobody.

Seriously, dude - your bit has gotten old.
I never said they did but keep yakking. What they argued was that he was a fine starting center...just like the other dude did till you went all Internet tough on him.

Troll,idiot, ban... If anyone should be banned it should be yourself for jumping all over a very innocuous post like that. The dude may or may not hang around to be insulted. But hey, who wants posters on a message board that do not agree with you.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #184
dude1394
Guru

Watch the damn games.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #185
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah...a little out of line underdog..
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #186
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Guys i think it is time to stop arguing about Jet, Wood, Tyson and Kidd. Let us concentrate on the new players.

Last edited by markus1234; 07-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #187
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta say, UD, I don't think the post you responded to from Jeff was THAT out of line.

Haywood and Kaman have both been solid-average NBA centers for their career. Kaman has been a bit overrated because he puts up inefficient offensive numbers. Haywood was a bit underrated because his calling card was defense which doesn't always translate to a box score.

Now, I expect Kaman to become more efficient playing on the court with Dirk, but let's not assume he's going to dominate. I'm happy we have him, but is he a HUGE upgrade over Haywood? No, I don't think so.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #188
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm happy we have him, but is he a HUGE upgrade over Haywood? No, I don't think so.
Come on,

Kaman is so underrated here, it is not even funny anymore.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #189
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Guys i think it is time to stop arguing about Jet, Wood, Tyson and Kidd. Let us concentrate on the new players.
I don't much mind discussion about Wood, Kidd, and Jet, since they all just left the team, but I couldn't agree more about Tyson.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #190
Underdog

I'm agreeing with marcus1234 and disagreeing with Thiggy... Is this real life?

The guy said he'd take Haywood over Kaman - my response was definitely hyperbolous, but I certainly didn't expect this kind of backlash... Good thing I didn't go with the "slow death by AIDS" comment that I was originally going to post.

I'll keep the crow on ice until January...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #191
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
I gotta say, UD, I don't think the post you responded to from Jeff was THAT out of line.

Haywood and Kaman have both been solid-average NBA centers for their career. Kaman has been a bit overrated because he puts up inefficient offensive numbers. Haywood was a bit underrated because his calling card was defense which doesn't always translate to a box score.

Now, I expect Kaman to become more efficient playing on the court with Dirk, but let's not assume he's going to dominate. I'm happy we have him, but is he a HUGE upgrade over Haywood? No, I don't think so.
I actually think Brand is the better player. But, Brand won't be the starter because he'll also be Dirk's backup. I'd rather see Kaman in the 10-11 pt range per game with Brand around 13-15.. but that's just me. That's alot of points to come out of the Center and PF position.

Anyway the Mavs can go back and not sign Kaman... win the bid for Scola? Yeah, creates some defensive issues, but I can live with that.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-16-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #192
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Haywood did get the job done until he got injured. He looked like a completely different player when he came back.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #193
Underdog

Quote:
Anyway the Mavs can go back and not sign Kaman... win the bid for Scola? Yeah, creates some defensive issues, but I can live with that.
Phoenix won the bid for Scola yesterday... Or were you being hypothetical?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #194
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

OHH Jayziss!?! Here we go, the caretaker of all terrible Mav centers is here. Haywood was underrated because his calling card was defense. What you meant to say, or should say is Haywood could only contribute at a slightly above average level was on defense, nothing else. So by default Haywoods calling card was on defense.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-16-2012 at 11:08 AM.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #195
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
OHH Jayziss!?! Here we go, the caretaker of all terrible Mav centers is here. Haywood was underrated because his calling card was defense. What you meant to say, or should say is Haywood could only contribute at a slightly above average level was on defense, nothing else. So by default Haywoods calling card was on defense.
In his prime, Haywood was considered one of the better defensive centers in the NBA. Dwight Howard called him a candiate for DPOY once, saying no one defended him better.

Haywood slipped here, but even still, he had an acceptable year last year before getting hurt.

I'm not sure people understand JUST how inefficient of an offensive player Kaman has been recently. Again, I expect that to improve, but if it somehow doesn't, it will be a big problem.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #196
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I actually think Brand is the better player. But, Brand won't be the starter because he'll also be Dirk's backup. I'd rather see Kaman in the 10-11 pt range per game with Brand around 13-15.. but that's just me. That's alot of points to come out of the Center and PF position.

I would say Brand is easily the better player, and expect him to close a ton of games.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #197
Underdog

Quote:
I would say Brand is easily the better player, and expect him to close a ton of games.
Nobody is arguing Brand vs. Kaman... It's the idea of Haywood being better than Kaman that makes my brain recoil in confusion.

If Brand beats out Kaman for the starting center position, then that's a good problem to have, much like Chandler beating out Haywood... But let's not pretend like Kaman is some kind of a bum - he played in an All-Star game as recently as 2010, and he's been plagued by injuries and stuck on one of the worst teams in the league since then.

I see no reason why he can't get his groove back playing under Carlisle and next to Dirk - much like another supposedly washed-up center that was on this roster a year ago...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #198
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Kaman probably should be an upgrade over Wood. But he's definitely a step down defensively, and in order for his greater offensive talents to carry the day and really make a difference on the court Chris will need to stay reasonably healthy and play more efficiently than he typically has. I think (hope) he's (still) capable, but I'm not punching the Mavs' playoff card on the basis of the Kaman-for-Wood switch just yet.

I agree with Murphy on Brand, though. To me, he's been the real prize of the off-season haul.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #199
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Top Ten Reasons (in no particular order) I Prefer Chris Kaman over Brendan Haywood:
  1. He can catch the basketball.
  2. He can pass the basketball.
  3. He can take three steps towards the basket and make a layup.
  4. He has at least two additional shots to go with a "dunk".
  5. He can make more than 50% of his free throws.
  6. Kaman is only three letters away from Caveman.
  7. He's never played with the Washington Wizards.
  8. No one will call him "Big Wood".
  9. He played for the German National Team!
  10. He's Dirk's good friend!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #200
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'm agreeing with marcus1234 and disagreeing with Thiggy... Is this real life?

The guy said he'd take Haywood over Kaman - my response was definitely hyperbolous, but I certainly didn't expect this kind of backlash... Good thing I didn't go with the "slow death by AIDS" comment that I was originally going to post.

I'll keep the crow on ice until January...
I'm just not sure how you could admit that Haywood is a starting caliber center, and then go nuts when someone says they'd rather have Haywood than Kaman. Kaman is also considered a marginal starting center in this league. He's well below all star level.

I disagree with his opinion, just like you, but it's far, far from so ridiculous that I would call him a troll. Not that I really care that you did, just surprised by it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
haywood>kaman=loltarded, hulkamania, jefftakeshaywooddeep, kaman debunked, love guns, skip bayliss = underdog