Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #41
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

A win!

There is a nice article up about Kaman:

Quote:
DALLAS -- A lot of former All-Stars who find themselves frequently riding the pine in fourth quarter might use a flurry of four clutch buckets in a win to lobby for more crunch-time minutes.

Not Chris Kaman, the Mavericks big man who is unique in many ways.

Kaman didn’t utter one word of complaint about sitting the entire fourth quarters of the previous five games. And he wasn’t about to start after Tuesday’s 107-100 win over the Philadelphia 76ers, when Kaman played a critical closing role by scoring eight of his 20 points in the final six minutes.

“That’s selfish,” said Kaman, who teamed with O.J. Mayo to score 17 of the Mavs' 19 last points. “That’s not team basketball to say, ‘Oh, I’m doing this good,’ because I don’t think I’ve played the way I’m capable of playing. I want to be a team guy. I want to do the right things. The right thing is to play better.”

Instead, Kaman offered legitimate reasons why coach Rick Carlisle has turned to other options down the stretch in recent games.

The 7-foot Kaman has lived up to his billing as the best offensive big man in Mavs’ history, as faint as that praise might be. He’s averaging 14.3 points on 53.1 percent shooting.

Kaman readily admits, however, that he needs to perform better defensively to deserve consistent crunch-time minutes.

In fact, he went on and on about that subject Tuesday night.

“This year, I haven’t played the defensive game that I’m capable of playing,” Kaman said, listing rebounding, shot-blocking, showing on pick-and-rolls and helping on drives to the basket as facets of the game he needed to improve. “I haven’t been the player that I’m capable of being. Part of that is a new system and trying to figure it out and fit in there and just getting a feel for the game.

“It’s frustrating to me because I know I’m better than that, and I think that’s part of the reason why I haven’t played in some of the fourth quarters. It kind of comes down to getting those stops, and I don’t think he thinks I jell well or fit well in there. I don’t know exactly what it is, but obviously if he thought I was supposed to play there, he’d put me in there. He knows what he’s doing. He’s a great coach.”

Carlisle doesn’t come across as critical when explaining why Kaman has been a crunch-time spectator recently.

Elton Brand has played well enough to earn those minutes some nights. On others, the Mavs go with smallball to get back in the game and stick with it down the stretch. And sometimes Carlisle is simply hesitant to go to Kaman again if he’s been sitting on the bench for a while and getting stiff, which is what happened before Kaman was ineffective in overtime of Saturday’s loss to Minnesota.

With Derek Fisher and Brand out Tuesday, Carlisle’s options were limited. Kaman seized the opportunity.

“It’s not like there’s a case against him,” Carlisle said. “It just depends on the nature of the game and the personality of the game. I like the way he played tonight for sure. He did a good job down the stretch. He made some shots. He was a presence around the boards. And he wants to be in there, too.”

As far as Kaman is concerned, it his job to give his coach reasons to put him on the floor with the game on the line and Carlisle’s job to make those decisions.

“To me, he’s an all-around great coach, and that’s part of the reason why I came here,” said Kaman, who had seven rebounds and one block in 30 minutes against the Sixers. “I rely on him to make the right decisions, and he does a great job of it. Every night, it’s not going to be what I want it to be.”

Kaman was what the Mavs wanted -- and needed -- in crunch time against the Sixers. That’s a start to make a case that he can help the Mavs finish on a consistent basis.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...clutch-minutes
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

^Kudos to Kaman for not blaming his injuries in that article.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, i like what he says. Now, he has to prove it on the court.

Next 6 games i hope for any win...

Last edited by Kante; 12-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Kaman has been pretty awful defensively and I worry that he is simply limited by foot speed. When Wright came in, it was immediately apparent just how much lateral quickness affects help defense.

Still, I'm happy to hear that Kaman is working on his defense, because his offense combined with Mayo and dirk will make it extremely hard to defend this team. We just need to learn how to get a few stops when our shot isn't falling and to keep our guards aggressive when jumpers aren't going in.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Kaman made Kwame Brown his biatch.
That's a large club to belong to.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #46
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Carlisle says Fisher (right knee) is out vs. the Heat on Thurs. Brand (groin) and Wright (right ankle) are game-time decisions.
Yay!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
A win!

There is a nice article up about Kaman:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...clutch-minutes
Really nice. Thanks for the post.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #48
tron#1

tron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nice

IMO this was mayo best game. Very controlled game, found his teammates, and closed the takeout in the fourth. This is the mayo they need when Dirty comes back.
tron#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #49
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron#1 View Post
IMO this was mayo best game. Very controlled game, found his teammates, and closed the takeout in the fourth. This is the mayo they need when Dirty comes back.
I cannot recall what type of defense they were throwing at him. But if they were pressing him, he forcefully took it to the paint, getting a lot of layups. One of the worst things you can do when getting pressed is to stay passive.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote