Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #241
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
More like a zero-dimensional player. I can't think of a single above-average skill that he brings to the table. It's mind-boggling that he's still on our roster when there are real NBA players on the market that could be contributing.
Nah, he drives really hard, gets to the line and is a decent passer. Real problem is: take away the drive and his effectivity plumments immediately and he more often than not is overaggressive, gets caught up in traffic and is unable to get a decent shot up. That's why he has a 45% conversion rate at the rim...

Regarding Carlisle: Its his style to go unconventional and mix things up a lot when the team is searching for a win, but after a 38-point blowout it's safe to say that it hasn't worked this season. It sure hasn't been easy because other key guys besides Dirk missed some time or at least played through some stuff, but overall you just don't get the sense that the team is improving.

With Dirk back I think RC should commit to the rotation with the most upside/potential, play them no matter what and hope that consistent playing time will bring consistency and improvement on the field.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #242
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
DoJo is considerably better than Roddy at this point in their careers, sad as it is to say.
The difference is marginal (although you'd like to get a better sample on Roddy). Key is that DoJo probably plays at his peak right now, Roddy/Collison not so much.

But overall everything on this topic is just a guess.

Last edited by j0Shi; 12-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #243
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
The difference is marginal (although you'd like to get a better sample on Roddy). Key is that DoJo probably plays at his peak right now, Roddy/Collison not so much.
I'm not so sure about any of that. I don't think DoJo is very good, but watching them on the court, the difference is greater than "marginal." DoJo occassionally makes good plays. Roddy pretty much never does.

And to my eyes, DoJo still has room to improve, whereas Roddy has been on an uncontrollable (and admittedly injury-laden) downward spiral ever since Year 2.

In the abstract, I think Roddy clearly has more upside, but I'm pretty convinced at this point he's never going to reach that in a Mavs uniform.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #244
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think DoJo is very good either but he is light years ahead of Roddy on running the offense. And DoJo is better than Collison at doing that as well. DoJo is the more consistent defender out of all 3.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #245
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy would be the better player if he were ever allowed to play sg again. He simply isn't a pg, and it is just a complete waste of time to keep playing him there. I agree that Dojo can "run" a team better...which means so little big picture. Neither has really earned any minutes this season imo.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #246
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that Dojo can "run" a team better...which means so little big picture.
Well, the Mavs have no big picture at the moment. Hard to get that when you are renting players ecerty year.

None are in the "big picture" plans after this year. Roddy's contract expires. DoJos does too. And I doubt they re-sign Collison.

So running an offense matters, at least for this year because right now there is no long term solution. The Mavs made sure of that when they drafted no one, signed no one, and are unwilling to commit to anyone beyond a year.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #247
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Roddy would be the better player if he were ever allowed to play sg again. He simply isn't a pg, and it is just a complete waste of time to keep playing him there. I agree that Dojo can "run" a team better...which means so little big picture. Neither has really earned any minutes this season imo.

He has been playing SG the last couple of games in garbage time. Usually he runs off a screen and gets open only for no one to pass him the ball. After doing that a couple of times, he usually just runs to the corner and just stays there. Once in while, he'll attempt that stupid 3 off a pick. Other than that he makes no attempt to be a part of the offense. He has played over 100+ minutes and has not one assisted 2pt FG made for the year.

I did like his PG work up until the Indiana game. He has looked disinterested/confused since Carlisle called him out before the string of DNP-CD's and deactivations.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #248
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Nah, he drives really hard, gets to the line and is a decent passer. Real problem is: take away the drive and his effectivity plumments immediately and he more often than not is overaggressive, gets caught up in traffic and is unable to get a decent shot up. That's why he has a 45% conversion rate at the rim...

Regarding Carlisle: Its his style to go unconventional and mix things up a lot when the team is searching for a win, but after a 38-point blowout it's safe to say that it hasn't worked this season. It sure hasn't been easy because other key guys besides Dirk missed some time or at least played through some stuff, but overall you just don't get the sense that the team is improving.

With Dirk back I think RC should commit to the rotation with the most upside/potential, play them no matter what and hope that consistent playing time will bring consistency and improvement on the field.
Our coaching has been every bit as much of a weakness as our pg rotation this year. I'm not really sure that Carlisle could have been worse if he'd tried. The thing is, I think it's just a slump just like players go through slumps.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #249
MaverickOutlaw
Banned

MaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these parts

The state of the point guard position on this team is a joke.
MaverickOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote