Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-07-2023, 09:54 AM   #161
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Kyrie calling out Wood for being me-first instead of team-first.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #162
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Kyrie calling out Wood for being me-first instead of team-first.
Source?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #163
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/stat...752609281?s=20
Quote:
While a lot of focus is placed on discussing "fit" with Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic, I asked Irving about how the lineups are progressing when he leads the Mavericks' bench group:

"Just not losing the leads, or kind of coming in and not having a team-first mentality. Guys are coming off the bench and want to come in and show their talent, obviously put points on the board. But I think we're just easing into and just knowing that if we continue to play at a high pace, everybody's going to get their shots."

"Just continuing to have that next-play mentality. If you don't get it that one play, do something for your teammate in order to get him a better shot or put yourself in position. It's just one of those times throughout the season, especially where we are after the trade, where our units are figuring each other out. And when we do, we'll be good."
There's really only two guys that come off the bench that are putting up shots-- THJ and Wood. THJ and Kyrie are tight, so it's not hard to see that he's talking about Wood.

I get it-- Wood thought he'd be drafted and wasn't. He had to fight every day to have a roster spot. We're his 7th team in 8 years so it has to be hard to be a team-first guy when it's a different team every year and you are desperate for that next payday.

Still, I think Kyrie might be right-- there are guys who are going for their own glory (and who wouldn't on the Rockets) that need to grow up and play team-first ball.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-07-2023 at 11:35 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #164
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

There's really only two guys that come off the bench that are putting up shots-- THJ and Wood. THJ and Kyrie are tight, so it's not hard to see that he's talking about Wood.

I get it-- Wood thought he'd be drafted and wasn't. He had to fight every day to have a roster spot. We're his 7th team in 8 years so it has to be hard to be a team-first guy when it's a different team every year and you are desperate for that next payday.

Still, I think Kyrie might be right-- there are guys who are going for their own glory (and who wouldn't on the Rockets) that need to grow up and play team-first ball.
Ahh that was from a game or two ago right? Yea, I took that as a loving shot at Wood, but a general input from Kyrie, too. Very broad, but it doesn't hurt to have another guy of Luka's caliber to enforce these ideals. Definitely understand the mentality from Wood's perspective and that's how you grow as a player and team. Let's see if they can make necessary changes...
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #165
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Again though, who didn't know this after we traded for him? Impossible to be team first when you played for the Rockets being promised a chance to play with James Harden.

With that said, it still doesn't negate what is going on with Powell. Powell is team first and all bad minus the incredible picks.

So I'm all for Kyrie leading and calling guys out...100%. But the guy who we desperately need defense and rebounding from who should be called out is Diamond Powell. I get that it's not his fault he has this role, but so long as he has it....welp.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:54 PM   #166
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Old but interesting article about Wood. Maybe this was posted earlier in the thread, but if not it kind of captures what we have seen.

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/202...s-got-a-steal/