Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 11:45 AM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting conundrum because yes you want right now players around Luka, and yet the only guys I cared about watching last season for the most part were Hardy and Green.

We can't field another team of unwatchable and unmotivated vets that take half the season off *cough* Bullock *cough*.

It's just time to move on from Powell, Kleber, Bullock, and THJ. None of these guys are fun to watch. It's more like hold your breath and hope they aren't terrible game in and game out.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2023, 10:15 AM   #42
R28J

R28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It's just time to move on from Powell, Kleber, Bullock, and THJ.
I second this motion...
R28J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #43
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R28J View Post
I second this motion...
Totally. By definition if you still have those 30 year old plus players on your team next year it is a garbage lineup.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Kleber and Bullock are keepers for cheap.

Kleber struggled from injury and should be fully heathy next year and he?s cheap.
Bullock is also cheap and struggled most from coaching inconsistencies

For more than half the season, Doncic was going tunnel vision and playing scorer vs distributor. Bullock got very few looks. It?s hard to shoot 40% when you get one look in a half. The defense was also 80% caused by rule changes and our lack of bigs. The NBA killed primary defenders and we have absolute shit for help defense from bigs. Bullock as a point-of-attack defender was fine and I think he?ll be fine if we get a Capela or otherwise that can be in position and help.

Powell and THJ? Yeah I?m like warm on them but for the right price and in a limited role they?re fine. They just came be starters and depended on. Second/third stringers tops.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:59 PM   #45
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Kleber and Bullock are keepers for cheap.

Kleber struggled from injury and should be fully heathy next year and he?s cheap.
Bullock is also cheap and struggled most from coaching inconsistencies

For more than half the season, Doncic was going tunnel vision and playing scorer vs distributor. Bullock got very few looks. It?s hard to shoot 40% when you get one look in a half. The defense was also 80% caused by rule changes and our lack of bigs. The NBA killed primary defenders and we have absolute shit for help defense from bigs. Bullock as a point-of-attack defender was fine and I think he?ll be fine if we get a Capela or otherwise that can be in position and help.

Powell and THJ? Yeah I?m like warm on them but for the right price and in a limited role they?re fine. They just came be starters and depended on. Second/third stringers tops.
Totally disagree. Doncic had the highest potential assists and good look generation in the league. He consistently hit open guys for the shot. The team is garbage. Doncic also played above replacement level defense the first 1/3 of season but clearly got worn down over time. Some of that is on him for lack of conditioning and getting progressively heavier as the season went on. Bullock sucked because he sucked, not from a lack of being set up properly. Bottom line. I think we will soon be done with the Luka era as Cuban fucked it up.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:32 PM   #46
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Totally disagree. Doncic had the highest potential assists and good look generation in the league. He consistently hit open guys for the shot. The team is garbage. Doncic also played above replacement level defense the first 1/3 of season but clearly got worn down over time. Some of that is on him for lack of conditioning and getting progressively heavier as the season went on. Bullock sucked because he sucked, not from a lack of being set up properly. Bottom line. I think we will soon be done with the Luka era as Cuban fucked it up.
You are certain that the Luka era is over and you want to dump the only half-decent (quarter-decent?) guys on the roster who have palatable deals?

Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #47
Zeus

No I am not personally done. I would shed the Kleber, THJ, Bullock types if possible and go young including getting someone like Lively at 10. A regression to the mean on clutch games and we find ourselves back to a mid tier playoff qualifier with a chance to go on run with Playoff Luka in full gear. What I am alluding to above is Cuban is likely to F this up more and force Luka to make a decision to leave in 2 years due to ineptitude.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:30 PM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
No I am not personally done. I would shed the Kleber, THJ, Bullock types if possible and go young including getting someone like Lively at 10. A regression to the mean on clutch games and we find ourselves back to a mid tier playoff qualifier with a chance to go on run with Playoff Luka in full gear. What I am alluding to above is Cuban is likely to F this up more and force Luka to make a decision to leave in 2 years due to ineptitude.
Oh I fully think that Cuban will F this up. Even if he was god-tier, he has no assets to reshape the team to where it needs to be and even if Nico is a god Cuban has a history of interfering. It might literally be impossible to take this from a bad team to a competitive one.

All I know is that with so few assets, we can't be spending a first round pick to ship out a bad contract.

Kleber and Bullock can be workable (if not amazing) pieces on a good team and both guys are earning less than the MLE which makes them decent contracts. Those aren't disastrous players and those aren't disastrous contracts.

We're over the cap and about to be hammered by the CBA and we have exactly two first-round picks we can trade-- 2023 (after selecting) and 2026. That is literally all we have in terms of assets other than Green/Hardy.

I just don't think I would spend the small amount of draft capital on dumping those two. Maybe a team will offer us better players for worse ones, but that doeesn't tend to happen without draft assets-- unless you are the Lakers.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:22 AM   #49
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

EL is right. Can't be getting rid of switchable defenders that (occasionally) hit threes. Look at how small rotations get in the playoffs. Like it or not those guys have value because they're playable in the May/June.