Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all
Default March Madness

This threads for picks/brackets etc etc

It may take me awhile to make mine because honestly, i hate college basketball with a passion. no one try to argue with me about it. i cant stand college basketball. crappy teams from crappy colleges that shoot under 40% dominate espn from mid february until the end of march. HOORAY!
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

If you hate it....why start the thread?

March Madness is one of sports greatest traditions.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

i like the brackets and competition with my friends. i also like college sports a lot. i think what i dont like is how much teams i dont care about or know at all dominate the tv
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I am so beaten down by college basketball.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

word flizzle lizzle
Old 03-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

my favorite time of the year, especially this first weekend. always take off thursday and friday and clear the schedule of all commitments (read: chores) to enjoy the tourney.

of course, my team, u of memphis, got no favors as a #2 seed. the wife's alma mater, unt, is first (do i hear a jub jub "mmmm hmmmmmmmm"), then probably "shoulda been a #4 seed" nevada. if they survive that they probably run into a&m in san antonio. oh, then, if they can somehow stop acie law, oh, they get greg oden. thanks, tourney committee.

i've watched them all year long, and i still can't figure u of memphis out. 3 losses, all to tourney teams, all neutral site/road games. wins over gonzaga on the road and kentucky at a neutral site. avg victory of 17+ ppg., but stuggle against so. miss and smu. are they the team that had ga. tech down 16 at half early in the year, or the team that gave up 62 and got outscored by 23 in the second half of the same game? if hunt and mack make their three's and dorsey stays outta foul trouble, they're one tough out. if dorsey picks up two fouls in the first four minutes against fazekas, they might be done this weekend.

my hoop pants are officially going crazy, and it's only monday.

Last edited by mnmpeanut; 03-12-2007 at 08:35 AM.
mnmpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

anyone that doesn't like March Madness doesn't have a soul. It's that simple.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Someone once told me the same thing about watching The English Patient.

Luckily, March Madness is way better than The English Patient.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 03-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
[/I].Luckily, March Madness is way better than The English Patient.
way better, and not nearly as long....
Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
nowadays I like march madness, but I once upon a time I went ape shit for it....

used to be, you would get to see the players for a couple of years...a big reason Phi Slamma Jamma's loss to NC State was such a big thing is because we'd all seen Akeem and Clyde the Glyde in the final four the year before....it wasn't just NC State v. a bunch of guys in red jerseys, but NC State versus a bunch of guys you'd already seen play 50 times...

ok, it's cool that Yannick Noah's daughter is back again for florida this year, but that's the exception and not the rule these days. for most of 'em, the big dance is just a showcase for the NBA draft...Durant--cool to see him play, but how cool would it be seeing him play for the 4th time in 4 years???

it's still cool, just ain't quite the same, anymore....
Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

what's the percentage of college players that go pro earlier? i'd imagine that it's something surprisingly small. Sure, players go early, but it's not as many as you'd think. of course it's not the same as the phi slamma jamma days... but blame the NBA for that, not college basketball.

the college game is still alive and well. but i actually think that having only 6 mid-major at-large teams this year is a bad sign.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-12-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
what's the percentage of college players that go pro earlier? i'd imagine that it's something surprisingly small. Sure, players go early, but it's not as many as you'd think. of course it's not the same as the phi slamma jamma days... but blame the NBA for that, not college basketball.

the college game is still alive and well. but i actually think that having only 6 mid-major at-large teams this year is a bad sign.
yeah, I started to qualify my statements with "this is all just good ole days syndrome..."

Still...Ewing, Worthy, Bird, Magic....well, not magic, but I can recall seeing these other guys play for multiple years....
Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

When/If you go to a college/university you will appreciate college sports alot more.

In High School I didnt care about my high school football/basketball teams...then I went to UT and there is a sense of pride/tradition/love that basically makes you live and die by your team.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It may be a small percentage, but it's bigger than it used to be, for sure. I think the one year college rule will help though.

I realize players have always left early, but man March Madness would be so, SO much better if college basketball worked like college football.

Can you IMAGINE if UT had Durant, Gibson and Aldridge this year?

That being said, go Aggies. Hope to see them play OU.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

just found the list for last year. 37 players left early for the NBA last year. That is definitely a miniscule number compared to the total # of NCAA basketball players.

but thig, i do agree with you. it's definitely more than it used to be. and yes, it's harder to build a powerhouse like a phi slamma jamma (they'd all have left early). But it's still not a huge number.

it all depends on what you want to see in college basketball... the more players that leave early, the more level the playing field becomes. Then we get the whole "small school pulls the upset" more often. do you want to only see big schools dominate? to me, that's one of the reasons i love college basketball. no matter how much money a school has, it's still only 5-on-5. small schools always have a chance.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-12-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I am so beaten down by college basketball.
yeah you are pretty beat
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Iti is killing UT right now. NMSU is leading early, but that probably won't last much longer.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

ive missed 3 picks so far...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #19
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

also, i love march madness
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #20
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy college play, but I've never gotten into it as much as the NBA. Around this time of year, I always wish the general public would get this excited about NBA games as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #21
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

First round recap:

27 of 32. Missed Winthrop, Kentucky, VCU, Texas Tech, and Gonzaga. I had none of my five losers going to the sweet 16. I'm in good shape.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

My worst start ever. Missed 11 games. But I've only lost 1 sweet 16 team, so I'm still in decent shape.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

29 of 32 baby
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have a good day yesterday.

I went 25-7 in the first round.

But all of my Sweet 16 survived.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 03-17-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #25
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

we should have started a yahoo pick-em, and maybe created a pool for ppl who have facebook
Old 03-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #26
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
we should have started a yahoo pick-em, and maybe created a pool for ppl who have facebook
I was just thinkin the same thing.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #27
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I'm in four pools on Facebook, and that's all I bothered entering this year.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #28
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

im only in one, just with the guys from my fantasy football league

we oughta get some leagues going w/ ppl from this board, it would be fun
Old 03-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #29
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

so xavier doesn't foul conley at midcourt and instead let lewis shoot the three for the tie why?? did they not watch the suns-mavs the other night? i'm screaming at them to foul and i have the buckeyes winning the whole thing. screw the bracket, FOUL HIM!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #30
mary
Troll Hunter

Today was better. All of my teams advanced except for Maryland.

UCLA was making me nervous!

mnmpeanut...I thought the same thing. It would've been cool for Xavier to pull off the upset.

Last edited by mary; 03-17-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #31
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

7/8 today. While I saw Vandy beating WSU after watching the first round, it was too late to change anything by then. I was very proud of my Butler over Maryland pick.

In my four pools:

Baylor 475-student pool: #6
Friend pool: #1
High School Graduate Pool: #1
Dorm pool: #1

Times are goooood.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #32
mnmpeanut

well, i've got 13 of the sweet 16 left and all my elite 8 in tact, so bracketwise, i'm happy.

u of memphis got thru the first weekend, but they lost their best player in the process. they were gonna have a tough time with a&m even if they were at full strength, but if douglas-roberts is out, they're really gonna have a tough time advancing. coming into the year, i would have been thrilled with the sweet sixteen (no senior starters and only one who plays any minutes), but now that they're there...
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, so i started out horribly as i mentioned above. But got the Final 4, Final 2, and Champion all correct to storm from behind. I won one of my large brackets for a 70% payout of the pool (about $650), won another smaller one for about $70, and came in 4th in a 3rd (for about $50). Not a bad turnaround!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #34
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

SEC dominance is almost getting boring. Hehe - j/k