Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I snagged this over at realgm. You can get the link to the whole article over there, this is just from what's on the news page.

LeBron James breaks wrist

Added: 9th June, 2002

High School junior LeBron James is expected to be the first overall pick of the 2003 draft when he becomes eligable. He has every NBA GM left open mouthed at his ability and how rounded his game already is, and has even captured the attention of the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, who made a special trip to see James play a high school game when the Lakers were in town to play the Cavaliers.

But this summer there shall be no encore. James was injured Saturday during a tornament game on the Southside of Chicago, ESPN is reporting.

James broke his left wrist in two places when he fell after going for a dunk during the Adidas Summer Classic before a packed crowd at a Chicago high school gym. An opponent stood in for a charge, had a change of heart and stepped aside as James clipped him and fell to the court in pain, WGN radio reported.

When the crowd began to threaten the opposing player involved in the incident the game was halted. Doctors reported that James will miss 6-8 weeks but should be ready to play in time for his senior season Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary high school in Ohio in the fall.

Old 06-09-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

whoever wrote this should learn to spell before putting it on realgm
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 01:04 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

tough break. He has time to recover though.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 01:11 PM   #4
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Just makes you wonder how good this kid is going to be. Presumably the number 1 pick next, he'll get a lot of playing time, touches, opportunities.

It still took Showbe and the "Greatest 2nd Banana of All Time" a couple of years before they started producing quality numbers.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 01:19 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

When every scout in the world and every GM say he is special....he must be. I imagine he will generate showbe like results.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:26 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

of course...many said the same thing about Leon Smith and he was a total bust. Smith was a joke.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:45 PM   #7
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

check out some of his moves here at this page i found here

i know its only a few clips... but damn... he is the truth. believe the hype.

Has anyone got any other sites for clips of his stuff???
Old 06-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< of course...many said the same thing about Leon Smith and he was a total bust. Smith was a joke. >>

Leon Smith was the last pick of the 1st round and could have easily (should have) fallen into the second. He's not real comparable to James even in terms of skill level--and of course the real issue with Smith all along wasn't ability it was mental.

Given the universal praise from the people who get paid to know these things, I have to assume that as long as his body and mind hold up (neither of which is predictable until he actually plays NBA games not just pickup games with NBA players) he is going to be a great player. That doesn't mean he'll contribute his first year any more than KG or Kobe did though.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 08:21 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Don't get me wrong...I like James potential....but I hate Smith.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:51 PM   #10
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I have not seen James play personally. I have heard great reports from very knowledgeable basketball experts who I put a lot of faith in. Although, this time in his life is very important in terms of development. If he slacks off and believes his hype just a little bit, he will never reach the expectations people are setting.

In years past Felipe Lopez, Schea Cotton, Ronnie Fields, Marcus Liberty, and Ronnie Henderson were destined for greatness by a lot of these same experts and for different reasons none of them really came through. Until I see him in person, I am going to reserve my opinion.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 07:53 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

very good response Chicago JK.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:46 AM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Tough break.

Anyone think he should finish high school? Just in case?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:54 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Of course he should...I don't think the NBA will allow him to come out without finishing or earning a GED, etc. But absolutely...I mean it's not even close.