Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pietrus wants to be like Finley

Warriors 'sic' Pietrus on opponents

By Matt Steinmetz
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLAND - The Warriors' offseason figures to be interesting.

It is conceivable they could come back for the 2004-05 season with much of their roster intact and coach Eric Musselman still in charge. It is also possible they could have a lot of new players and a different coach.

Who knows? Maybe they'll have Michael Finley. That's what Mickael Pietrus is hoping for anyway.

Pietrus, the Warriors' rookie swingman, has made noticeable strides in the past two months. His hope is to keep improving over the summer, and when he returns next season, he'll begin to resemble Finley, Dallas' two-time NBA all-star.

"I need to work on everything," said Pietrus, whom the Warriors drafted with the 11th overall pick in June. "Especially the in-between game. I want to have a similar game to Michael Finley. I think I'm on my way. I watch every tape of Michael Finley that I can."

Earlier this season, Pietrus was languishing on Musselman's bench. But he's gotten an opportunity to contribute because of injuries and he's taken advantage. While Pietrus' offensive game is quite raw, defensively he has been able to wreak havoc.

Pietrus, 6-foot-6, is quick enough and athletic enough to guard opposing point guards. And that's what Musselman has had him do. Musselman said recently that he's taken to referring to Pietrus as "Sic 'em," because that's what he wants Pietrus to do to the man he is guarding.

Pietrus has had success against players such as Houston's Steve Francis, Minnesota's Sam Cassell, Washington's Gilbert Arenas and San Antonio's Tony Parker.

"What I like about him is he loves to play defense," teammate Popeye Jones said. "You don't find that in many rookies in our league."

No doubt, Pietrus' offensive game is lagging. But there has been improvement over the course of the season. In his 20 starts -- all since March 5 -- Pietrus has shown the ability to knock down the occasional 3-pointer. He also has the ability to pick up some garbage around the basket, using his athletic ability to take advantage of smaller opponents.

Pietrus is shooting 32.3 percent from 3-point range this season. While that won't lead the league, consider that starting shooting guard Jason Richardson is shooting 28.5 percent from beyond the arc.

"What I like about the way he is playing is that he's playing with a lot of confidence, especially on the offensive end," Musselman said. "He's really starting to feel good about his 3's, when he's hitting them. He's really becoming hard to defend because he drives so well."

Pietrus said he plans to stay in the Bay Area for two months after the end of the regular season. He'll then go to France to visit friends and family before returning to Los Angeles to play for the Warriors' summer league team. Then it's off to France again for national team play.

"Next year, I know we will make the playoffs for sure," said Pietrus, averaging 4.8 points in 16 minutes per game this season. "I'm trying to get better every day and help the team. My goal is to put my name on the Warriors' story. And I'm going to do that."

Question is: Where is he going to play? With point guard Speedy Claxton, Richardson and small forward Mike Dunleavy around, carving out minutes might be challenging for Pietrus. Then again, it would seem logical he could gather up Calbert Cheaney's 20-some minutes or so per game. Cheaney will become a free agent this summer.

"I never ask myself that question -- whether I can play in this league or not," Pietrus said. "You get drafted, you get a chance, you take advantage of it. And I just want to take advantage of what I get."
Old 04-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Pietrus wants to be like Finley

There is no greater complement than that kind of complement. In a funny synchronicity I've got the LA/GS game on right now and just watched Pietrus hit a long jumper as I read this.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Pietrus wants to be like Finley

If I were the Mavs, and made another trade with GS for some reason, this is the guy that I would have them throw in to make it work. From everything I have read, he will be an all-star someday. He even plays some defense.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Pietrus wants to be like Finley

Right before the draft, there was the rumor going around that Finley was going to be traded to Chicago for their first rounder, where Dallas would have taken Pietrus. I think it was Fin for the no. 7 pick, Marcus Fizer, Donyell Marshall and another player.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote