Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 01-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default here it is MR. XERXES- the TOP 16 voted KERRY!!! WOW....

IQ and Politics
Wow, what can I say, in the first 24 hours over 540,000+ people viewed this page! I originally posted this to a few friends on a forum, using information from a list just like this created after the 2000 election. The list was carried by the St. Petersburg Times and the Economist, amongst others. The IQ data was originally attributed to the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", though I checked and couldn't find them in the current edition, I had posted saying such at the bottom of the table. The tests and data were said to have been administered via the Raven's APT, and The Test Agency, one of the UK's leading publishers and distributors of psychometric tests.

I have recently been emailed by someone claiming to have seen a retraction many issues later on the behalf of the Economist Magazine. The Economist could not independently verify the IQ data and the retraction can be found here. I have yet to find any retractions from the St. Petersburg Times or other publications. Here you can find a report correlating IQ and income, and their relation to how people voted in the 2004 election. This IQ data is based on SAT/ACT test scores. Here you can see the correlation between percentage of college graduates in a state and whom they voted for in the 2000 election.

I think matching census data to the results of the election reveals some very interesting things. For instance, there is a direct correlation that has been pointed out by the Boston Globe between the divorce rate per state, and who they voted for, as it turns out, the higher the percentage of people voting for Bush, the higher the divorce rate. That is very interesting considering many people voted based on 'values' and 'morality'. I am still scratching my head about that one, I was a 'values voter' as well, though I value honesty, compassion, and human life.

I am glad that so many people are so interested in IQ, statistical correlations, and their relation to politics. I believe such correlations are increasingly interesting as some candidates this year funneled more money into biased advertising and partisan propaganda than has ever been attempted in the history of the world.

State Avg. IQ 2004
1 Connecticut 113 Kerry
2 Massachusetts 111 Kerry
3 New Jersey 111 Kerry
4 New York 109 Kerry
5 Rhode Island 107 Kerry
6 Hawaii 106 Kerry
7 Maryland 105 Kerry
8 New Hampshire 105 Kerry
9 Illinois 104 Kerry
10 Delaware 103 Kerry
11 Minnesota 102 Kerry
12 Vermont 102 Kerry
13 Washington 102 Kerry
14 California 101 Kerry
15 Pennsylvania 101 Kerry
16 Maine 100 Kerry
17 Virginia 100 Bush
18 Wisconsin 100 Kerry
19 Colorado 99 Bush
20 Iowa 99 Bush
21 Michigan 99 Kerry
22 Nevada 99 Bush
23 Ohio 99 Bush
24 Oregon 99 Kerry
25 Alaska 98 Bush
26 Florida 98 Bush
27 Missouri 98 Bush
28 Kansas 96 Bush
29 Nebraska 95 Bush
30 Arizona 94 Bush
31 Indiana 94 Bush
32 Tennessee 94 Bush
33 North Carolina 93 Bush
34 West Virginia 93 Bush
35 Arkansas 92 Bush
36 Georgia 92 Bush
37 Kentucky 92 Bush
38 New Mexico 92 Bush
39 North Dakota 92 Bush
40 Texas 92 Bush
41 Alabama 90 Bush
42 Louisiana 90 Bush
43 Montana 90 Bush
44 Oklahoma 90 Bush
45 South Dakota 90 Bush
46 South Carolina 89 Bush
47 Wyoming 89 Bush
48 Idaho 87 Bush
49 Utah 87 Bush
50 Mississippi 85 Bush

Old 01-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default RE:here it is MR. XERXES- the TOP 16 voted KERRY!!! WOW....

SPIN THIS ANYWAY YOU LIKE!! Bottom line is the bottom line...you may have WON the scoreboard (as DUDE always points out), but- we know why BUSH won!! The uneducated took to the polls!!!!! WOW
Old 01-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Thread title here it is MR. XERXES- the TOP 16 voted KERRY!!! WOW....
Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
IQ and Politics
Wow, what can I say, in the first 24 hours over 540,000+ people viewed this page! I originally posted this to a few friends on a forum, using information from a list just like this created after the 2000 election. The list was carried by the St. Petersburg Times and the Economist, amongst others. The IQ data was originally attributed to the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", though I checked and couldn't find them in the current edition, I had posted saying such at the bottom of the table. The tests and data were said to have been administered via the Raven's APT, and The Test Agency, one of the UK's leading publishers and distributors of psychometric tests.

I have recently been emailed by someone claiming to have seen a retraction many issues later on the behalf of the Economist Magazine. The Economist could not independently verify the IQ data and the retraction can be found here. I have yet to find any retractions from the St. Petersburg Times or other publications. Here you can find a report correlating IQ and income, and their relation to how people voted in the 2004 election. This IQ data is based on SAT/ACT test scores. Here you can see the correlation between percentage of college graduates in a state and whom they voted for in the 2000 election.

I think matching census data to the results of the election reveals some very interesting things. For instance, there is a direct correlation that has been pointed out by the Boston Globe between the divorce rate per state, and who they voted for, as it turns out, the higher the percentage of people voting for Bush, the higher the divorce rate. That is very interesting considering many people voted based on 'values' and 'morality'. I am still scratching my head about that one, I was a 'values voter' as well, though I value honesty, compassion, and human life.

I am glad that so many people are so interested in IQ, statistical correlations, and their relation to politics. I believe such correlations are increasingly interesting as some candidates this year funneled more money into biased advertising and partisan propaganda than has ever been attempted in the history of the world.
State Avg. IQ 2004
1 Connecticut 113 Kerry
3 New Jersey 111 Kerry
4 New York 109 Kerry
5 Rhode Island 107 Kerry
6 Hawaii 106 Kerry
7 Maryland 105 Kerry
9 Illinois 104 Kerry
10 Delaware 103 Kerry
11 Minnesota 102 Kerry
12 Vermont 102 Kerry
13 Washington 102 Kerry
14 California 101 Kerry
15 Pennsylvania 101 Kerry
16 Maine 100 Kerry
17 Virginia 100 Bush
18 Wisconsin 100 Kerry
19 Colorado 99 Bush
20 Iowa 99 Bush
21 Michigan 99 Kerry
22 Nevada 99 Bush
23 Ohio 99 Bush
24 Oregon 99 Kerry
25 Alaska 98 Bush
26 Florida 98 Bush
27 Missouri 98 Bush
28 Kansas 96 Bush
29 Nebraska 95 Bush
30 Arizona 94 Bush
31 Indiana 94 Bush
32 Tennessee 94 Bush
34 West Virginia 93 Bush
35 Arkansas 92 Bush
36 Georgia 92 Bush
37 Kentucky 92 Bush
38 New Mexico 92 Bush
39 North Dakota 92 Bush
40 Texas 92 Bush
41 Alabama 90 Bush
42 Louisiana 90 Bush
43 Montana 90 Bush
44 Oklahoma 90 Bush
45 South Dakota 90 Bush
47 Wyoming 89 Bush
48 Idaho 87 Bush
49 Utah 87 Bush
50 Mississippi 85 Bush
Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 AM   #4
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: here it is MR. XERXES- the TOP 16 voted KERRY!!! WOW....

"SPIN THIS ANYWAY YOU LIKE!!"

I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but here goes my "spin". The average person doesn't vote so taking the average IQ of a state doesn't give you an accurate representation of the voters of that state. Also the "IQ" numbers are based upon SAT/ACT scores which isn't exactly the correct way to judge IQ. The tests have as much to do with practice as they do with intelligence.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive

I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but here goes my "spin". The average person doesn't vote so taking the average IQ of a state doesn't give you an accurate representation of the voters of that state. Also the "IQ" numbers are based upon SAT/ACT scores which isn't exactly the correct way to judge IQ. The tests have as much to do with practice as they do with intelligence.
That and the small fact his chart is a h-o-a-x.

PS: Click the blue letters [img]i/expressions/present.gif[/img]
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Josh
Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive

That and the small fact his chart is a h-o-a-x.

PS: Click the blue letters [img]i/expressions/present.gif[/img]
Classic. Absolutely effin' classic.

mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

reeds- please post a link...b/c this story has been (and consequently these iq ratings) have been proven to be a hoax (as josh stated above.) i'd like to see if this has been updated sinced it has been proven erroneous.

thanks in advance.

p.s. don't always believe what you read online.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

hahahahahah!!!!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
hahahahahah!!!!

Hahahahaha is right, look at this dork:

Old 01-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
reeds
Golden Member

HAHAHAHAAH
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #11
reeds
Golden Member

Why did I know you would all say its a hoax??

Can someone please prove to me the top ten states on the list arent smarter than the bottom ten?? NO you cant

just look from # 30 down for crying out loud!! West Virginia- home of rocket science! Mississippi- where a 5th grade edukatin gits yu all the wominn..Alabama...oh my, do I even have to comment?? Some just wont face facts- the bottom twenty states cant hold a candle to the top states on this list..but since the list is a "fraud"- its not true?!! Please...you all know it...period
30 Arizona 94 Bush
31 Indiana 94 Bush
32 Tennessee 94 Bush
34 West Virginia 93 Bush
35 Arkansas 92 Bush
36 Georgia 92 Bush
37 Kentucky 92 Bush
38 New Mexico 92 Bush
39 North Dakota 92 Bush
40 Texas 92 Bush
41 Alabama 90 Bush
42 Louisiana 90 Bush
43 Montana 90 Bush
44 Oklahoma 90 Bush
45 South Dakota 90 Bush
47 Wyoming 89 Bush
48 Idaho 87 Bush
49 Utah 87 Bush
50 Mississippi 85 Bush

Old 01-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

can you please PROVE to me that the top ten states on your list ARE smarter than the bottom ten? NO you can't.....you have made the choice to believe what's presented to you online. that does not make it fact and your "bottom twenty states cant hold a candle to the top states on this list.. ." statement does not make it so. - that is your opinion. here's my opinion: in a common sense intelligence test, which is all that really matters in the long run, i'll take the "bottom" states on your list over the obnoxious, philisophical, never get a damn thing done "top" states any day of the week.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
hahahahahah!!!!

Hahahahaha is right, look at this dork:

That's a very handsome man! I must say!

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can someone please prove to me the top ten states on the list arent smarter than the bottom ten??
You're the one touting the accuracy of the list. That means YOU have the burden of proof -- a burden you have been unable to meet.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #15
reeds
Golden Member

"in a common sense intelligence test, which is all that really matters in the long run,"

Are you serious? Common sense is now your spin? You are applying for a high paying job, they check over your college grades..."hey, I understand my GPA is 2.1- but sir- common sense is really all that matters!!" I am smarter than them other putts out there...hire me please!! Come on- you can think of something better than that- I hope.. After all, who needs Havard, Brown, Yale, Princeton, etc...as long as you have common sense, that is all that really matters!!!! That is according to AnMan
Old 01-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
"in a common sense intelligence test, which is all that really matters in the long run,"

Are you serious? Common sense is now your spin? You are applying for a high paying job, they check over your college grades..."hey, I understand my GPA is 2.1- but sir- common sense is really all that matters!!" I am smarter than them other putts out there...hire me please!! Come on- you can think of something better than that- I hope.. After all, who needs Havard, Brown, Yale, Princeton, etc...as long as you have common sense, that is all that really matters!!!! That is according to AnMan
In all my years in corporate life, nobody has ever asked me what my GPA was. I've actually never even heard of it happening. Do you ever watch the apprentice? Who wins? Is it the one with the best grades or the one who can make the best decisins. Who was that lady last year with a PHd from Harvard that got kicked off an laughed at?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #17
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

High IQ doesn't neccessarily mean intelligent. All it means is that you have put time and effort into a subject that is almost completely worthless outside of our culture. I mean, do tribes in africa really care that you speak proper english, or that you can tell how old rocks are? I wouldn't put money on it. The Native Americans in my mind had the best idea about how to live life so I believe them more intelligent than, oh lets say..Donald Trump and his sociologically dependant enterprise.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #18
AnMan21

Quote:

I graduated with a less than stellar GPA from college, but what I lacked in supposed intelligence, I made up for by being sociable and hard working. I received more job offers than any of my classmates, some of whom had 4.0s. To top it all off, I make quite a bit more as a starting salaried actuary than most people ever make in a year. There is a lot more to a person than a GPA or "intelligence" test, and yes, THAT'S what matters. Furthermore, I never damned Havard, Brown, Yale, etc...I respect the book smarts those students have. However, I'm sure there are plenty of them that can't hammer a nail, plow a field, or negotiate with a carsalesman and would never be able to learn. Just like there are plenty of "common" people that can do physical labor/house work who couldn't take the integral of a mortality function, wax intelligently about Plato, or duplicate Einstein's theory of relativity......you tell me what "intelligence" skills are more valuable in the long run....

But you still didn't answer my question (as is the typical democratic - all questions, no solutions way): How about you prove those top ten states are smarter. I'm all ears....

Old 01-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I think it's absolutely hilarious how people can fight for voter's rights, no discrimination between voters of any kind, and then turn around and judge voters by how well they score on a test that has nothing to do with politics.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #20
reeds
Golden Member

"In all my years in corporate life, nobody has ever asked me what my GPA was. I've actually never even heard of it happening. Do you ever watch the apprentice?"

The apprentice? Damn...sorry, I must have missed that one..I was out shotin my 12 gauge, drinkin some beer and working down on the farm.....oops...i guess that wasnt me...maybe it was the right side of this board
Old 01-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #21
reeds
Golden Member

"But you still didn't answer my question (as is the typical democratic - all questions, no solutions way): How about you prove those top ten states are smarter. I'm all ears...."

Seriously, are you doubting the fact that these states

1 Connecticut 113 Kerry
3 New Jersey 111 Kerry
4 New York 109 Kerry
5 Rhode Island 107 Kerry
6 Hawaii 106 Kerry
7 Maryland 105 Kerry
9 Illinois 104 Kerry
10 Delaware 103 Kerry

are NOT smarter overall than these ?
40 Texas 92 Bush
41 Alabama 90 Bush
42 Louisiana 90 Bush
43 Montana 90 Bush
44 Oklahoma 90 Bush
45 South Dakota 90 Bush
47 Wyoming 89 Bush
48 Idaho 87 Bush
49 Utah 87 Bush
50 Mississippi 85 Bush

next you will tell me I have no proof a Mercedes is a better car than a YUGO....or does water really freeze at 32 degrees F... come on...why deny the freakin OBVIOUS???? it is exactally what you are doing..but if you really want me to go dig out SAT scores for the states above, IQ scores, blah blah blah..i guess I have more work to do....
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #22
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Reeds, all I want you to do is answer one question for me:

Should someone's political opinion matter less if they have a lower IQ?

Just answer that question. Then maybe you'll realize how ridiculous you're sounding.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #23
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Reeds- can I seriously doubt that people in Illinois are smarter than people in South Carolina?

Easily.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
XERXES
Diamond Member

it's obvious that you're list is a fabrication and misrepresentation of the truth...why must you still try to defend it? Let it go. It's ok. But, you're only making your own IQ look low by continuing to quote this bogus list. I'm trying to help you out here. Take a hint.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

reeds - Now you're getting the picture. We DON'T accept what you say at face value, particularly when you admittedly base your statement on a hoax. We expect you to PROVE what you say.

We're waiting...
Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #26
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Ok folks, here's the lowdown.

It is impossible to rank the states based on IQ, as that is not a validated criteria. First, few people actually ever take the IQ test. IQ testing also doesn't rate a person's smarts it rates their ability to become smart. The SAT or ACT also is not representitive of the state's pop either.

The only qualified data to determine the state's relative "intelligence" is by the percentage of adult pop who have college degree, or at the least have earned a HS diploma. This is a line on the census forms for both of these and is therefore a reliable demographic stat.

Here's the states in descending order of percent of adults (over 25 years) who have a college degree (2000 census trended to reflect 2002):
DC 44.4%
Maryland 37.6%
Colorado 35.7%
Virginia 34.6%
Mass 34.3%
Conn 32.6%
NJ 31.4%
VT 30.8%
Minn 30.6%
NH 30.1%
RI 30.1%
Delaware 29.5%
Kansas 29.1%
NY 28.8%
Wash 28.3%
CA 27.9%
IL 27.3%
Nebraska 27.1%
Oregon 27.1%
HA 26.8%
Utah 26.8%
AZ 26.3%
TX 26.2%
Penn 26.1%
FL 25.7%
Alaska 25.6%
New Mex 25.4%
ND 25.3%
GA 25.0%
Wis 24.7%
Ohio 24.5%
Maine 23.8%
Indiana 23.7%
Montana 23.6
S Dakota 23.6%
S Carolina 23.3%
Iowa 23.1%
Alabama 22.7%
MI 22.5%
NC 22.4%
Nevada 22.1%
LA 22.1%
Kentucky 21.6%
TN 21.5%
Idaho 20.9%
Miss 20.9%
OK 20.4%
Wyoming 19.6%
Ark 18.3%
W Virginia 15.9%

Here's the percentage of adult pop who completed HS:
Alaska 92.2%
Minn 92.2%
WY 91.6%
Utah 91.0%
Wash 90.4%
NH 90.2%
Nebraska 89.8%
Montana 89.7%
SD 89.2%
NDakota 89.0%
Delaware 88.5%
Iowa 88.3%
Miss 88.1%
Conn 88.0%
Hawaii 87.9%
Oregon 87.7%
CO 87.6%
KS 87.5%
Maryland 87.5%
Maine 87.4%
VT 87.4%
Ohio 87.3%
Idaho 86.8%
Wis 86.8%
Virginia 86.7%
Mass 86.5%
MI 86.5%
Penn 86.1%
IL 85.9%
NJ 85.9%
Nevada 85.8%
IN 85.3%
OK 85.1%
AZ 84.6%
NY 83.7%
DC 83.5%
FL 83.3%
GA 82.9%
NMex 81.6%
Ark 81.0%
KY 80.8%
CA 80.2%
SCarolina 80.2%
NC 80.1%
TN 80.1%
RI 80.1%
Miss 79.1%
AL 78.9%
LA 78.8%
WV 78.5%
TX 78.1%

Kinda depressing that TX is at the bottom....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

I'll leave it up to someone else to correlate the above as to which state voted for which candidate.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Mavdog, thanks for the research. Where'd you find the numbers? I'd have to say, though, that you're just ranking the states by level of formal education, not necessarily by level of intelligence. I know plenty of entrepreneurs and/or self-starters whom I consider to be more intelligent than their more formally educated counterparts.

As for the IQ rankings, here's a pretty entertaining take from Deroy Murdock at NRO:

Quote:
Another theme of the divisive Left is the supposed idiocy of red states and their inhabitants. It starts, naturally, with President Bush. The Left depicts him as a doddering fool. Yet, somehow, this airheaded cowboy has defeated them in two elections. This hardly demonstrates the Left's brilliance.

One Internet posting ranks the 50 states by IQ. The higher-IQ states supported Kerry, starting with Connecticut (average IQ 113). These figures plunge to pro-Bush Mississippi, with its 85 average intelligence quotient.

If these numbers are legitimate, they raise interesting questions:

Were Louisiana and South Carolina, both blue states, dumb over the last six years when they elected Democrats John Breaux, Mary Landrieu (in 2002), and Ernest Hollings to the U.S. Senate, or did they suddenly grow stupid this year?

And how about Colorado's pro-Bush voters? They also elected Democrat Ken Salazar to the U.S. Senate on November 2, rather than Republican Peter Coors. So, were they simultaneously sharp and dimwitted?

"South Dakota's IQ must have dropped for them to stop voting for Democrat Tom Daschle and switch to Republican John Thune," says Mitch Baxter, an Arlington, Virginia attorney and member of the Republican Jewish Coalition "They were in the bottom 10 this time. There was no massive immigration of dodos or emigration of geniuses, so there must be some kind of environmental toxin that caused brain damage. Quick, get the EPA!"

link
You should read the entire article. It's great stuff.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #28
AnMan21

Quote:
"But you still didn't answer my question (as is the typical democratic - all questions, no solutions way): How about you prove those top ten states are smarter. I'm all ears...."

Seriously, are you doubting the fact that these states

next you will tell me I have no proof a Mercedes is a better car than a YUGO....or does water really freeze at 32 degrees F... come on...why deny the freakin OBVIOUS???? it is exactally what you are doing..but if you really want me to go dig out SAT scores for the states above, IQ scores, blah blah blah..i guess I have more work to do....

the argument so far:

US: "Prove it"
YOU: "Those other states don't hold a candle....."

US: "That's not proof, that's your opinion. Prove it"
YOU: "It's obvious."

No matter how much you believe it, it's not proof. Does water freeze at 32 F - absolutely. Years and years of personal experience has taught us that. Is a Mercedes a better car than a YUGO - sure - thousands of car reviews/tests have been done on these cars. You're pulling ONE source and stating it as fact and that's not just wrong, it's plain idiotic - especially when your source of information in the internet. Any one of us could easily create a website, make false claims about our research, and claim the world would end tomorrow. Does that make it true?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #29
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Mavdog, thanks for the research. Where'd you find the numbers? I'd have to say, though, that you're just ranking the states by level of formal education, not necessarily by level of intelligence. I know plenty of entrepreneurs and/or self-starters whom I consider to be more intelligent than their more formally educated counterparts.
I deal with demograhic data daily, I have the US demographic database from Claritas. I believe that it is also available from the feds, it just isn't trended (only the raw 2000 numbers).

My point is there is no other way to rank the individual states as to the "smarts" of its pop than to utilize educational attainment. You cannot do it by income, for as you mention there are some who don't complete a formal education yet have been very successful in life.

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
My point is there is no other way to rank the individual states as to the "smarts" of its pop than to utilize educational attainment.
True, it's about the best we can do. I just don't know that we should put all that much stock in the results.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #31
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog

I deal with demograhic data daily, I have the US demographic database from Claritas. I believe that it is also available from the feds, it just isn't trended (only the raw 2000 numbers).

My point is there is no other way to rank the individual states as to the "smarts" of its pop than to utilize educational attainment. You cannot do it by income, for as you mention there are some who don't complete a formal education yet have been very successful in life.
Put us city folk on a farm, and bring the farm folk into the city - both systems would fall apart at the seams. The point is, intelligence is much more than an IQ test, or a graduation percentage. It's being able to adjust and excel in your surroundings.

Reeds is saying "clearly those top states are smarter," but he's lumping the populations of really diverse states' IQs and claiming it to be a fair representation to compare with a state like New York. I'm sorry, but that's just not the case. If he wants to compare IQ's of those states he should take the fair base: City of New York IQ vs. Cities of Dallas and Houston IQs. I'll bet the results would be much closer.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #32
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

What happened to the dems mantra "Every Vote counts."
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #33
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

HaHa i thought the hoax one was from the Bush Gore election. They made another one?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:09 PM   #34
reeds
Golden Member

Hmmmm..even the top of MavDogs college degree chart looks BLUE to me..while the bottom of the COLLEGE degree chart looks mighty RED????? Spin that one too would ya????
Old 01-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #35
reeds
Golden Member

"Should someone's political opinion matter less if they have a lower IQ?"

Well, yes and no..if the IQ level is in the "average" range, I would say it wouldnt matter..but the ignorant vote should matter less..you can be borderline mentally retarded and vote in this country..and those really put a dent in the average scores of all those IQ stats..therefore, there are more people in states at the bottom of those charts voting than at the top of the charts....

I like the college degree chart as well....I think the college degree person has at least "thought out" who the best candidate is..either the IQ or the college degree states both validate my point....the more educated voted for kerry..for good reason i might add
Old 01-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #36
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm....if I described an ethnic minority the same way that reeds describes the south do you think reeds would call me a racist? Or would I just be a bigot like reeds?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #37
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Better yet, Dude..if you were in Saudia Arabia I think you would be labeled a Tyrant and be forced into a remote cave somewhere. On second thought maybe one of those countries would name you their leader. Hey thats what you can do with your life Reed, be a dictator! I can see it now...drinking fountains for the stupid with automatic sensors and drinking fountains for the smart that have a button. While you are at it might as well bring back communism and everything this country has fought against for so long.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #38
reeds
Golden Member

I know I know, the truth does hurt...scoreboard, huh DUDE???
Old 01-27-2005, 09:41 PM   #39
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

What truth is that, that you are a bigot? Or that you feel someone isn't as important or cannot make a decision for themselves unless they think like you? Huh...

so you are saying that states that have more money also have more people who get a higher education and therefore......what?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #40
dude1394
Guru

Here is a picture of one of those oh so "intelligent" voters that reeds/vinnie is talking about. With his latest moral equivalence. Colorado professor Ward Churchill

Quote:
On Sept. 12, 2001, however, Mr. Churchill performed an act of extraordinary crepitation, even for him. In "Some People Push Back: On the Justice of Roosting Chickens," he saluted the "gallant sacrifices" of the "combat teams" that struck the Pentagon and World Trade Center, asserting that the people who worked there ("braying . . . into their cell phones") and died that day deserved what they got.
Yea, better not let those red states REALLY get their way, because this knucklehead sure wouldn't be teaching college.