Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-08-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
ZK

ZK is on a distinguished road

I have one question to all mavs fan:
What would you rather have the loss like one happened in LA other day in 19-th game of the young season or to get to this point in one of the playoff games?
I like that game for two reasons[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]don't get me wrong, I couldn't sleep whole night):
1. No meter what everybody said to this point I think the mavs shown that they are better team than Lakers. I know we've lost but look at how they played 3 quarters...
They lost because they stopped to play.
2. It was really good lesson for them. Now they understand you can’t stop to play in the forth quarter with the elite teams.
I am sure they will learn from this experience and never repeat it. If it would not happened it could be dangerous coming playoff time
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2002, 11:42 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

ZK... I believe I agree that there are positives out of every defeat. Happens everywhere and teaches you lessons that victory doesn't.

That being said, we'll only know in the next 5 games or so if we learned 'em. I didn't seem much last night against gsw, at least with respect to outrebounding an opponent or putting them on their butt.

I did see dirk take over, which I was very happy about..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

It was pretty obvious that the Mavs were still kind of reeling from THE COLLAPSE and that they (like us) did not rest well and were quite tired against a young team that is leading the league in rebounding. So getting outrebounded is not a shock. I am hoping we can get Popeye into shape soon as we will need his size and rebounding with Eddie out till mid to late January. As far as the Mavs putting someone on their butt...I don't think its gonna happen unless Popeye will do it. The ONLY Mav that sometimes played that strong was Eddie. Juwan Howard wasn't affraid to lay someone out until he got all that flack for Derek Anderson getting hurt on what was a GOOD HARD FOUL (not a flagrant as Howard was going for the ball) on a guy who was trying to do a highlight dunk on his team in a playoff game. After that Howard got a little tentative. Dirk takes hard fouls...he doesn't give them. Raef....Shawn....same deal. We are not that kind of team and it is that kind of "Give as good as you get" kind of toughness that we lack with this personell group. I do not believe it is something you can learn to do....maybe before the deadline we will aquire an enforcer or two(I know I'm dreaming...Nellie doesn't like that kind of player and that is why we don't have any as they are not very rare...a Kurt Rambis kind of guy would be just perfect). Can we win a championship with great offense and hustle Defense but no real interior toughness? That is the question that only time will tell.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
ZK

ZK is on a distinguished road

I think it is not only meter for mavs to survive mentally, but it is the same way for mavs fans. Instead of going to panic we supposed to stand by our team. I am proud I did it for all ten years and for me those three quarters were culmination of believing in mavs for many years. I am a proud fan and, although I am also upset about one game, nothing will turn my back to my favorite team. This what upset me the most, that some of so speak "mavs fans" or "mffl" after one set back ready to give up on the team. Shame on you guys and GO MAVERICKS!
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't think that grown men (very tall very large ones at that) can sit around and take this type of pounding without giving it back. I'm starting to wonder if some of it is nellie's personality of all-offense all the time. I never had the chance to see nellie so I don't know what type of player he was, but for sure, if isiah thomas was coaching this team, there would be some hard fouls being committed or someone's butt would be on the bench.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:35 PM   #6
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

I think it is the personell that Nellie decides to keep. I am a long time NBA fan but I am too young to remember seeing Don play(at least he didn't stand out in my early memories of the 70's Celtics like Jo Jo White and Havlicek and Cowens and...well those guys)but I do have pretty good recolections of all of his coaching career. In Milwaukee he had some great players...most at 6-5 and under(this will become a theme) like Sidney Moncrief and Paul Pressey, Rickey Pierce and Terry Cummings but the closest thing he had to an enforcer was probably Paul Mokeski and he wasn't that intimidating.He also had the biggest guy in the league who was basically used to win the tipoff in Randy Breuer(another trend). Then he moved on to GS where he once again had some fantastic little guys in Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin and of course Manute Bol(see Breuer) and his enforcer was Tyrone Hill...also not intimidating. He wasn't in New York very long...probably because Ewing and Oakley weren't his type and couldn't play for him. Here in Dallas it is the same except that he listened to Donnie and lucked into a 7fter who can play like a 6-7 guy...he still loves small ball and has the biggest guy in the league and no interior toughness. This IS Don Nelson and at his advanced age he is not gonna change. That is why I hope Donnie is different and will be willing to allow a roster spot or two to guys who WILL knock people down and make them tentative to go to the hole.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:23 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< What would you rather have the loss like one happened in LA other day in 19-th game of the young season or to get to this point in one of the playoff games? >>

None.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:08 AM   #8
Bill King

Bill King is on a distinguished road

that was Don Nelson's fail. He shouldn't let Dirk, Nash be replaced by bunch players when Shaq and Kobe were still playing.
Shaq and Kobe were still playing, that means the Lakers still hadn't give up.
Never look down upon to the enemy who haven't give up!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:13 AM   #9
Bill King

Bill King is on a distinguished road

that was Don Nelson's fail. He shouldn't let Dirk, Nash be replaced by bunch players when Shaq and Kobe were still playing.
Shaq and Kobe were still playing, that means the Lakers still hadn't give up.
Never look down upon to the enemy who haven't give up!
Old 12-10-2002, 11:30 AM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< that was Don Nelson's fail >>

You started pretty well, Bill King, welcome to the Mavs' fans mavericks group.

We don´t want that Nellie be dismissed, but we want that he leads the Mavs to the championship. In the NBA you can´t make mistakes if want to win. And better yet, you can´t REPEAT a mistake. Hope he won´t.

<< Never look down upon to the enemy who haven't give up! >>

What a good way to summarize a lesson!