Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #561
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he's proved anything, it's that he's still a bit unpredictable/inconsistent...
Amen brotha
Old 10-09-2007, 12:20 AM   #562
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
On another note: I think all the Romo contract talk will finally ease up until the end of the season... If he's proved anything, it's that he's still a bit unpredictable/inconsistent...
1 out of 5 games is inconsistent/unpredictable? I agree with you that this game will ease the contract talk and probably even the Staubach and Favre comparions but he's been great this season. Even with this game. Out of 5 games he's had 1 bad game. You might even even say he's had two bad halfs because he played decent in the 2nd half of this game.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #563
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
1 out of 5 games is inconsistent/unpredictable? I agree with you that this game will ease the contract talk and probably even the Staubach and Favre comparions but he's been great this season. Even with this game. Out of 5 games he's had 1 bad game. You might even even say he's had two bad halfs because he played decent in the 2nd half of this game.
He can't be judged one way or the other until he plays a team that is worth a damn. Check back next week.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 AM   #564
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
his knee was down.

Alby --- thought this way too, like when a player catches the ball and then falls to ground and football pops loose from elbow ... (also elbow = knee..in terms of being down.)

I did some searching and found this was the best explanation---

If the player catches the ball, he must get both feet down and "make a football move" before he is deemed to have possession. If the player doesn't get both feet down before he is tackled then he must maintain control of the ball all the way through to the ground in order for it to be ruled a complete pass.

more...

The reception rule states that once a receiver gains possession of the ball with two feet inbounds, whether it be in the end zone or the field of play, he must hold onto the ball if he is driven to the ground by an opponent. If the receiver hit the ground and the ball moved on his chest, which under current NFL rules, does not constitute a catch.

Last edited by nikeball; 10-09-2007 at 12:35 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #565
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, what Flac said...

But also, look at last season: 4 solid games, then 1-3 to close out the season... I'd at least call that unpredictable, if not inconsistent... Personally, I credit those losses to Flozell Adams getting injured, but Romo didn't look nearly as brilliant down the stretch...

Maybe he's cooking up a big crow dinner for me next week? I certainly hope so!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #566
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
f*ck you buffalo....

underrated line...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #567
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
But also, look at last season: 4 solid games, then 1-3 to close out the season... I'd at least call that unpredictable, if not inconsistent... Personally, I credit those losses to Flozell Adams getting injured, but Romo didn't look nearly as brilliant down the stretch...
Well it was his 1st 7 games ever as a professional. People bring up him slowing down towards the end of the season and that point is well taken but for a guy in his 1st year on the field I just took it for what it was. A young guy still learning the game. This year I judge him on a little different scale. Though he has played what? 16 games in his career? Just about 1 season but this year I see him as a second year pro. I no longer expect the 5 interception games from him but this season its been rare.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #568
Underdog

Quote:
Well it was his 1st 7 games ever as a professional. People bring up him slowing down towards the end of the season and that point is well taken but for a guy in his 1st year on the field I just took it for what it was. A young guy still learning the game. This year I judge him on a little different scale. Though he has played what? 16 games in his career? Just about 1 season but this year I see him as a second year pro. I no longer expect the 5 interception games from him but this season its been rare.

Well, he's the one who still has to prove my notion untrue - Jerry Jones is probably wondering the same thing...

Tony Romo won't prove anything until this season is over, and I personally hope he proves to live up to the hype... Afterall, the last QB in a Cowboys uniform to have a game this bad was the "legendary" Troy Aikman, so anything is still possible for Romo's career...

Last edited by Underdog; 10-09-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #569
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Yea I was shocked to hear that Troy Aikman was the last guy to have a 5 interception game. Clint Stoerner, Bledsoe, Carter, Vinny and Hutch all must've had a grip of 4 interception games.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #570
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Was it me... or did the refs have it in for TO tonight?

The bogus spiking penalty...

The incompletion which was a force out...

Pass interference on the 2pt conversion... however I don't think they call that one anyways.

and then on the review of his catch after the onside recovery. Wasn't that against the rules? The cowboys had already ran down field and ran another play after a referee had placed the ball. They spiked it.

A win is a win, i know... but that just bugged me.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 AM   #571
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yea I was shocked to hear that Troy Aikman was the last guy to have a 5 interception game. Clint Stoerner, Bledsoe, Carter, Vinny and Hutch all must've had a grip of 4 interception games.
I'm pretty sure that Stoerner, Carter, Vinny, and Hutch never had four-pick games. Bledsoe, maybe, but still probably not. Romo did something very unusual tonight, to be sure.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #572
Underdog

Conspiracy Theory of the Day:

The National Sports Media & the NFL (refs) are trying to push T.O. into his "inevitable meltdown"...

1) There's a foul called against him whenever he touches the ball (like that delay of game penalty for a "spike" when all he did was toss the ball down like EVERY OTHER player in the NFL...)

2) When was the last time ANYONE got called for pass interference on T.O.? Has it happened since he put on a Cowboys uniform???

Last edited by Underdog; 10-09-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 AM   #573
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #574
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

OH BABY

YOU GUYS THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO LOSE DIDN'T YOU?????

I'M STILL UNDEFEATED BABYYYYYYYYYYYY

WHAT A GAME

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #575
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

AND THE LEGEND CONTINUES TO GROW..............

romomania!

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #576
Underdog

This is a classic example of a picture being worth a thousand words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°

Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #577
alby
Guru

Look at Brad Johnson

what a freaking gamer

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #578
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

HOOK EM, HORNS!!!!

Nick Folk is a God-send. God bless our scouting department.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #579
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Diavlo
Was it me... or did the refs have it in for TO tonight?

The bogus spiking penalty...

The incompletion which was a force out...

Pass interference on the 2pt conversion... however I don't think they call that one anyways.

and then on the review of his catch after the onside recovery. Wasn't that against the rules? The cowboys had already ran down field and ran another play after a referee had placed the ball. They spiked it.

A win is a win, i know... but that just bugged me.

You know I didn't want to complain after such a crazy win but I thought the above was ridiculous. Especially the TO catch. I could've sworn we spiked the ball before the refs stopped play. IT just seemed like one thing after another with these refs. I thought they had a decent game though.

Quote:
1) There's a foul called against him whenever he touches the ball (like that delay of game penalty for a "spike" when all he did was toss the ball down like EVERY OTHER player in the NFL...)

2) When was the last time ANYONE got called for pass interference on T.O.? Has it happened since he put on a Cowboys uniform???
IMO its ridiculous. And the ESPN camera's seem to always be fixed on him just to see if he'll give them that meltdown. They wanted another yelling match between McNabb and Owens. I even hear analylsts say well we'll see the real TO after a loss. Uhhh isn't that when you want to see a player pissed lol? After a loss?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Stoerner, Carter, Vinny, and Hutch never had four-pick games. Bledsoe, maybe, but still probably not. Romo did something very unusual tonight, to be sure.
With no stats in front of me I seem to remember some by Quincy. I definately remember that Giants game where Stoerner had a grip INT's. HE was just lobbing passes up. Maybe he didn't have 4 but he had a lot of them.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #580
alby
Guru

some quotables...

"Folk also made field goals of 47, 29 and 37 yards.

"I felt good. I helped the team win," he said. "I could care less if I kicked zero more field goals the rest of the year.""

Now that is a pimp

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #581
alby
Guru

""It was embarrassing, embarrassing," Bills receiver Lee Evans, on the verge of tears, kept repeating in the somber locker room. "We had opportunities to put the game away, put some points on the board, give us a little more cushion. Couldn't do it. It's embarrassing.""

LOL

Btw, did anyone see Irvin celebrate in the pressbox??? It was freaking beautiful. Cowboy for life.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-09-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #582
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody have Romo's halftime numbers?

As far as rookie kickers go, I actually heard somewhere that the Cowboys were more interested in Justin Medlock (the former Bruin who was cut by the Chiefs in camp) than they were in Mason Crosby.

Crosby was the golden boy but Folk blew him, and just about everybody else, away at the combine.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #583
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Damn Lee Evans is on the verge of tears? LOL. Props to his effort on that Newman interception. I thought Newman was running that one back. Good thing Ratliff was running down there with them.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #584
alby
Guru

D.Ware had 1.5 sacks tonight

giving him 4.5 through 5 games

and it doesn't even seem like he's really played to his capabilities

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #585
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Crosby was the golden boy but Folk blew him, and just about everybody else, away at the combine.
I figured that was why Folk was taken ahead of Crosby if Crosby was considered the better kicker in college. Folk must've had a hell of a combine.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #586
alby
Guru

if THAT game doesn't give me rep, I don't know what will...

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-09-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #587
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
D.Ware had 1.5 sacks tonight

giving him 4.5 through 5 games

and it doesn't even seem like he's really played to his capabilities
That .5 sack is so ridiculous. Just give it to the guy who got first contact on the sack. But yea Ware said he'd have a record breaking year in sack totals. He's on pace to.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #588
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000

That line scared me at first...

Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #589
Underdog

Quote:
if THAT game doesn't give me rep, I don't know what will...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to alby again."

Last edited by Underdog; 10-09-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #590
Underdog

Quote:
Tony Romo:

"I think our team, outside of me, played an outstanding football game. They dug me out of it. It was tough to go through that, especially on Monday night.
I absolutely love the honesty & humility of this guy... This is the attitude he needs to have - this is what will make him elite one day...

Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #591
alby
Guru

and how he joked it felt like he threw "7" in the first half when asked about his four interceptions

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #592
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Anybody have Romo's halftime numbers?

As far as rookie kickers go, I actually heard somewhere that the Cowboys were more interested in Justin Medlock (the former Bruin who was cut by the Chiefs in camp) than they were in Mason Crosby.

He had about 100 at the half, with 4 picks. He was 8 for 16. I remember that, because I remember thinking that he was completing 75% of his passes, if you know what I mean.

Medlock was the first kicker drafted, in the 5th. Obviously, we are all happy to have Folk right about now.

That said, Crosby appears to have availed himself nicely.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #593
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
That line scared me at first...
funny...reminds me of a scene in season 3 of arrested development
Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #594
alby
Guru

Other than a blowout loss, this is honestly the best thing that could have happened to Dallas heading into next week.

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #595
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
He had about 100 at the half, with 4 picks. He was 8 for 16. I remember that, because I remember thinking that he was completing 75% of his passes, if you know what I mean.
So his passer rating in the 2nd half was a very respectable 87. Of course that doesn't account for the fumble.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #596
alby
Guru

Let's be honest, he was making terrible decisions and when he did make the right reads (which was rare in the 1st half), he was extremely off target. With that being said he finished the game going 9-11 and he ultimately won the game for us. That, my friends, is legendary.

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 AM   #597
Underdog

I've heard the Romo-Favre comparison way too often, but it might be pretty accurate...

One week after breaking the touchdown record at 422, Brett Favre tied another record: 277 interceptions...

Maybe Romo needs to be more of a Dan Marino? (oops - no rings, maybe not...)

Screw it - he needs to scramble more to get those rare "Steve Young" comparisons...

Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #598
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Before I head to bed...Go Cowboys.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #599
alby
Guru

You take the bad with the good, Farve has always made incredibly stupid decisions along with his miraculous plays. You give him enough talent, and he'll win a superbowl.

I believe Dallas has enough talent.

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2007, 03:10 AM   #600
Underdog

Quote:
Romo rebounds to help Cowboys win

Alex Marvez
FOXSports.com

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Wade Phillips walked through the Dallas Cowboys locker room to hug the quarterback who had just committed six turnovers — and won anyway.

"That was unbelievable," Phillips told a glowing Tony Romo following Monday night's 25-24 victory over Buffalo.

Romo wasn't about to argue. His first pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. His last set up Nick Folk's 53-yard field goal as time expired. And in between, Romo did just enough to keep Dallas (5-0) from collapsing despite his mistakes.

"I can't believe the game went the way it did," Romo said. "I'll never be a part of a game like that again."

He should hope so.

Until the final two series, the NFL's top-ranked offense looked like anything but. Romo's sloppy performance even conjured up memories of his late-season struggles in 2006. Romo was admittedly confused by Buffalo's "exotic" fronts, zone-blitzes and coverage schemes.

Asked to detail one of his five interceptions, Romo joked, "Which one was that?" He did clearly remember a second-quarter pass deflected and snared in the end zone by defensive end Chris Kelsay.

"That doesn't happen in your worst nightmare," Romo said. "It just all piled on tonight. Hopefully, I got (the interceptions) all out of the way."

After one turnover, Romo sat on a Gatorade chest smiling as if he couldn't believe what was happening — especially against the NFL's 31st-ranked defense. But Romo was never rattled.

"That showed at the end of the game," said tight end Jason Whitten, Romo's favorite target with nine catches for 103 yards and a touchdown.

"As bad as he may have played, without him we're not in this thing at the end. He already had the respect of this team, but I think this team really respects the way he played tonight."

Romo pulled the Cowboys to within 24-22 on a four-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Patrick Crayton with 20 seconds remaining. Romo didn't connect with wideout Terrell Owens on the subsequent two-point conversion but was given another shot when Dallas recovered Folk's onside kick.

"I put us in a hole," Romo said. "My teammates got me out of it."

Romo then buried the Bills (1-4) with four- and eight-yard completions against soft coverage, which put Folk in position for the game-winning field goal.

"I learned a long time ago that if you think it's going to go good every single day, you're drunk," said Romo, who was brilliant in Dallas' first four games. "They came out with a great scheme tonight, played hard and had the crowd really behind them. My poor decisions allowed them to play a really good game.

"You're not going to always play at the same level we've been playing at. When you still win, that's pretty nice."

Asked whether he considered benching Romo after the fifth interception, Phillips quipped, "Well, he didn't throw six. He had a rough night, but he kept battling back. I still believed in Tony Romo as our quarterback."

Phillips isn't the only one.

"A six-turnover game and you play good enough to win? Not bad at all," Cowboys linebacker Kevin Burnett said.

Actually, this was as much a "trap game" as you could get... The Bills played gimmicky (something that Romo had never seen in the NFL) and the Cowboys responded with an improbable win...

This game actually makes me feel more confident about next week's game against New England - Romo probably learned a thing or two tonight against the type of creative play-calling that he'll face against Bill Belichick's Patriots...

Last edited by Underdog; 10-09-2007 at 03:24 AM.