Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Rangers Off-Season Thread

Change is good. Especially when you finish no higher than third like 14 years in a row. Or maybe it just feels like that.

Anyway...
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex
Ron Washington it is.

I'm glad they went outside the organization. Good to get new perspective.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Ron Washington was my pick. I love this guy. He's from East Texas and worked his way up the Oakland chain. He's impressed at every step and this is a GREAT hire.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Now that I have thought about this more I am STOKED!!!!!

I can't wait for the Ron Washington era to get underway!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I don't know much about him. I am just glad the dipshit is gone!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Let's just say Oakland is pissed. I loved Washington's quote in the paper this morning....something to the effect of "let's jsut say I know a little about how to beat Oakland".

Last edited by Drbio; 11-06-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

For those of you who read Moneyball, you may remember Washington as the infield coach who had to teach Scott Hatteberg first base. Here's a pretty good quote:

"[Ron Washington] was the infield coach because he had a gift for making players want to be better than they were."
Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping for HIllman myself, but I'm fine with Washington.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed on the Matsuzaka posting. How great would that be?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

You know, the really nice thing about the Rangers is that we all have that "how much worse could it be?" attitude.

Nothing but optimism baby!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

who are these so-called rangers you keep referring to?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I'm glad to see them go out of the orginiztion, but I'm more interested to see what JD does as far as players.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
who are these so-called rangers you keep referring to?
The New York Rangers. They have Jaromir Jagr. He leads the league with 23 points, but they've dropped a few in a row at home.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The New York Rangers. They have Jaromir Jagr. He leads the league with 23 points, but they've dropped a few in a row at home.

At least they get to live near Yonkers.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #13
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Fort Worth Star Telegram reported that The Rangers are looking to getting Bonds as a DH...this could be the worst idea in Ranger history, and there's been bad!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
For those of you who read Moneyball, you may remember Washington as the infield coach who had to teach Scott Hatteberg first base. Here's a pretty good quote:

"[Ron Washington] was the infield coach because he had a gift for making players want to be better than they were."
a girl that knows money ball....thats hot.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
a girl that knows money ball....thats hot.
Hey, I try.

BTW, anyone see the FWST article today about Zito, Dye & Hunter all immediately expressing interest in coming to Texas now that Washington is here?
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15968702.htm

Just talk, but good to hear.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Hey, I try.

BTW, anyone see the FWST article today about Zito, Dye & Hunter all immediately expressing interest in coming to Texas now that Washington is here?
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15968702.htm

Just talk, but good to hear.
I did see that, and the part about Zito isn't just talk. His agent has already contacted the Rangers about what they could do to get him here....Dye & Hunter could be talk, who knows. If we can't get Gary Matthews back, Hunter would definately be a qualified replacement.
Hey, as long as we don't go after Bonds it should be a good off-season
Old 11-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Rangers just need Matasuzka dang it. Or Zito. The Rangers need to bolster the front line of their rotation. It is reported that Padilla demands 10 million. A bit steep for a career .500 pitcher.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
The Rangers just need Matasuzka dang it. Or Zito.
But is Matasuzka worth 30 million JUST to talk to him?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

That's interesting that Zito wants to go to the Rangers now because of Washington. If I were the Rangers, I'd definetly go after him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #20
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanatik33
But is Matasuzka worth 30 million JUST to talk to him?
It looks like Boston won the bid with as much as 45million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 11-10-2006 at 11:08 PM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #21
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

I love the enthusiasm Washington brings to the Rangers, it's about time we got someone here who will attract free agents to play here, and not only for the money.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
It looks like Boston won the bid with as much as 45million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687
ESPN in the last 24 hours has released six different "inside" reports. All six conflict the other reports. ESPN is a joke.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #23
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
ESPN in the last 24 hours has released six different "inside" reports. All six conflict the other reports. ESPN is a joke.
It's because they want to be the first to release the real story, so any leak they receive they report as the real deal.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 11-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #24
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

I can't believe a team would pay over 40 million just to talk to a player...out of control, Japan controls us
Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #25
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

bobby valentine said he was good but not awesome. i say go for zito. zito, millwood, etc. sounds good to me...

i really want the rangers to be good
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

I'll be excited if we get him, but I'd agree on Zito.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #27
richard_

richard_ will become famous soon enough

GMJ signs with the angels, 5 years 50 million, i would have liked to keep him but the market is giving him too much money for too many years
richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #28
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I hope last season was a fluke then.

The Angels...lol that sucks hard.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Man, the Giants and Angels both offered him 5/50 and he went to the Angels.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #30
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

bump

Rangers have, according to foxsports, offered Zito a 6 year 102 million deal.

Also, as Murphy posted, close to resigning Padilla.

We're also talking to Seattle about Jeremy reed.

Good stuff. Winter meetings have barely even started and its already getting fun .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 12-04-2006 at 06:20 PM.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #31
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

seems a little pricey for Zito, but he'd be a great pickup for the Rangers.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it is pricey. But, you have to remember that Texas has the stigma of playing in a hitters park.. You're going to have to overpay for the top pitchers.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

With Padilla signed and Carpenter off the market I have a feeling Boras will have Zito sign here sooner rather than later. The market forces are now falling and it appears to be in the Rangers favor all of a sudden. Zito will still be overpaid, but I think the Rangers offer might get it done now.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #34
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Zito
Millwood
Padilla
Tejeda
Danks/Hurley/ ?

Pretty nice rotation i reckon.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #35
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Yep, it is pricey. But, you have to remember that Texas has the stigma of playing in a hitters park.. You're going to have to overpay for the top pitchers.
Yeah, plus their rotation is the only thing that's holding them back imo.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of them picking up Mulder IN ADDITION TO Zito? I can't imagine anyone offering much more than we have for him and he likes our manager so we should currently have the upper hand. We were believed to recently want Mulder. Any way we bring the two previous Oakland aces back together in Texas?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Yeah, plus their rotation is the only thing that's holding them back imo.
They need a centerfielder and a guy that can hit 5th or 6th.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 AM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Any chance of them picking up Mulder IN ADDITION TO Zito? I can't imagine anyone offering much more than we have for him and he likes our manager so we should currently have the upper hand. We were believed to recently want Mulder. Any way we bring the two previous Oakland aces back together in Texas?
It's possible, but I doubt it. For one, Mulder is hurt and won't be ready for the start of the year.

Also, if we have Millwood, Zito and Padilla locked up, we'll have very little left in the budget for CF, and we have a TON of in house options for those 4th and 5th slots.

It wouldn't really make much sense to commit any kind of money to those 4th and 5th slots if your budget is tight after signing Zito, and you have so many young arms that could possibly hold down those two spots.

And Rob, I would say there's zero chance Hurley is in the majors next year on anything but a cup of coffee, and Danks is a real longshot to make the rotation out of spring training. I would say Wilson and Rupe and Volquez are much stronger candidates for that role right now. And of course I think it's a given that Tejeda has the 4th spot going into spring training.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-05-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

I think the Rangers value Wilson more at this point as a relief man.
But the likely candidates for the end of the rotation spot(s) are: Danks, Diamond, Volquez, Josh Rupe, Kam Loe, AJ Murray, Nick Masset, Eric Hurley, and CJ Wilson...
And yes, there's the lefties from last year that got significant time as SP's for the Rangers as well.

Is Danks a longshot? He was considered last year out of Spring Training. I wouldn't consider him much of a long shot this year.

(thanks to newberg's site for the partial list of SP candidates for next season).
Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Considered is a relative term I guess. He spent some time in the big league camp, but his name was never really considered a viable candidate.

I think Danks could end up with a spot before the season is over, but his career arc seems to indicate that he won't be quite ready to break camp with the club.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game